The Student Room Group

Do you think Spanish is a "doss subject"?

I'm considering taking Spanish next year for AS and possibly A-Level as it is a subject i have always really enjoyed. However, apparently some people consider it less respected by universities and not as difficult as other languages such as French or German?! Is it widely considered a "doss" language then? :confused::confused:

Scroll to see replies

I'm taking it for A2 and have never heard that said about it :s-smilie: I certainly wouldn't call it a doss subject, whilst it is easier in some areas than other languages, the A level course still requires a lot of learning of vocabulary and (for A2) facts about Spain.
In terms of difficulty, languages are up there with sciences and maths. If you take spanish, be prepared for a lot of hard work. It is the furthest thing from a doss subject you will find. I've never heard it be called less respected than french or german, and i seriously doubt it is regarded as an easier or 'doss subject'. Its a great language and very interesting to learn. If you like it, go for it.
Reply 3
A command over a second language is one of the most precious things you can have and will be well respected by universities assuming you get a good grade of course. :smile:
No- languages are hard work and well respected!
I hope not. I'm working f*ucking hard in the hope I can get an A for my A Level this year.
No foreign language can ever be considered a doss subject. There's a lot of hard work involved and you end up with a precious skill that few people have nowadays.
I never thought so - I had to drop Spanish at GCSE because I found it so difficult, and now I'm getting A*s in French! Definetely not the easiest language in my book :P
Unless you are a native Spanish speaker, no, it's a highly regarded subject.
Reply 9
Everyone finds different language difficult. I personally found Spanish easy and Icelandic reasonably easy, yet had problems with French and Swedish. Just depends on what works for you.

I know one guy who can speak Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Faroese and Icelandic fluently, but can't master Spanish cause of the future tense. :dontknow: Go figure.
Original post by Lewroll
In terms of difficulty, languages are up there with sciences and maths. If you take spanish, be prepared for a lot of hard work. It is the furthest thing from a doss subject you will find. I've never heard it be called less respected than french or german, and i seriously doubt it is regarded as an easier or 'doss subject'. Its a great language and very interesting to learn. If you like it, go for it.

I've never been able to understand this. The other day I went to Oxford for interview, spoke to a few of the Spanish applicants and to be honest their level of Spanish was appalling. I wonder what the level is at ex-polys.

I go to an international school in continental Europe and languages are seen by everyone as 'doss' subjects. All the dimwits at my school (and by dimwits I mean going to a private school and getting 3 or 4 GCSEs at grade C) do English Language, English Literature and Spanish and get Cs with as little as 3 hours of work per day in total.
Reply 11
I don't think any language subject is a 'doss' subject.

personally, I don't think any subject is a 'doss' subject. People just like think they're better than one another.
Reply 12
Original post by Lewroll

Exacto. :smile: Trolls negativos, os daría mi leche que os hará ver todo blanco. Como el cielo. Pero la tengo reservada para otras peuteas. Sorry.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by wtfCharlie
I never thought so - I had to drop Spanish at GCSE because I found it so difficult, and now I'm getting A*s in French! Definetely not the easiest language in my book :P

Well I'm fluent in Spanish and French and personally I find Spanish a lot easier.
Original post by speedbird
I've never been able to understand this. The other day I went to Oxford for interview, spoke to a few of the Spanish applicants and to be honest their level of Spanish was appalling. I wonder what the level is at ex-polys.

I go to an international school in continental Europe and languages are seen by everyone as 'doss' subjects. All the dimwits at my school (and by dimwits I mean going to a private school and getting 3 or 4 GCSEs at grade C) do English Language, English Literature and Spanish and get Cs with as little as 3 hours of work per day in total.

Here languages are considered as challenging and sciences and maths by many people. And if you think about it, it makes sense. Languages arent like other subjects where you just learn whats in the text book and then apply it in the exam and you'll come out with a good grade. It takes a lot of work. If the people get Cs in your school from 3 hours work, i think that says more about your exam papers than the actual languge.
It's not. No language is, unless you're blessed with a natural aptitude for it.
Reply 16
Original post by Hylean
Everyone finds different language difficult. I personally found Spanish easy and Icelandic reasonably easy, yet had problems with French and Swedish. Just depends on what works for you.

I know one guy who can speak Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Faroese and Icelandic fluently, but can't master Spanish cause of the future tense. :dontknow: Go figure.

El futuro (tanto perfecto como el imperfecto) son relativamente fáciles. Por unos eurillos, le doy yo clases a tu colegui.
Reply 17
If you are Spanish, then yes. Otherwise, No.
Original post by Lewroll
Here languages are considered as challenging and sciences and maths by many people. And if you think about it, it makes sense. Languages arent like other subjects where you just learn whats in the text book and then apply it in the exam and you'll come out with a good grade. It takes a lot of work. If the people get Cs in your school from 3 hours work, i think that says more about your exam papers than the actual languge.

Well I don't know. It's probably a cultural thing. The exam board is Edexcel by the way.
Of course not! Quite respected unless it's your native first language. jaja andale!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending