The Student Room Group

Just seems silly!

Im a third year uni student and am 20 so my friends are roughly the same age as me
- I just find it ridiculous the amount of people I know who seem to be getting married or having kids - especially considering the amount of time they've been together.
For example friend A - Got pregnant first year of uni - had baby now lives with the dad - to be fair shes the most sensible one - she went back to uni etc
Friend B - Got pregnant after 3 months of being with the guy, now she lives with him, dropped out of uni last I heard they are meant to be getting married - There are many examples of friend B....

My 17 year old cousin (kind of ex cousin - ive never met her etc) is engaged - she got engaged after 6 months with her bloke....

Likewise the couple in the flat upstairs are the exact same age as me and have just got married.

I just find it kind of crazy - Me and my partner were talking about it the other day and we just don't get it - yet another friend online has just announced they are pregnant - Ive lost count of how many have had kids now (an no my friends arernt "chavvy")
I swear we're the only couple who doesn't seem to want kids or get married now - we just think it would be a complete mistake when we have our whole lives ahead of us and we actually want to enjoy what we have....
Reply 1
You're making it sound like your life ends once you have kids. If your friends are happy with their decisions then who are you to criticise?
Yeah well, maybe those other people do wanna have kids? Lol wtf, why are you twining about other peoples lives?
People want different things at different times. Think about your friends who AREN'T having babies, I bet there will be a lot more of them than those who are!

You should never judge somebody else's way of choosing to live their life. If they want babies now and a career later, great. Good for them. If they never want a career and just want to be a full time Mum then good for them, too, as long as they can fund themselves.
I understand what you mean, I'd like to be a little older, maybe 27ish, when I settle down, but my friends seem to want all that stuff, marriage, children, really soon, I can't really see why, enjoy your youth people! But saying that, if that makes them happy, go for it.
Reply 5
Original post by Gemma :)!
People want different things at different times. Think about your friends who AREN'T having babies, I bet there will be a lot more of them than those who are!

You should never judge somebody else's way of choosing to live their life. If they want babies now and a career later, great. Good for them. If they never want a career and just want to be a full time Mum then good for them, too, as long as they can fund themselves.

Don't get me wrong Im not judging them but thats half my point - they can't fund themselves, they are all either living off benefits or getting the babys dad to pay for everything!
Reply 6
I know this may be difficult to understand, but people have different opinions on what constitutes a good life.
My friend got pregnant one month after being with her boyfriend, and she was pretty much living with him by that point too :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Im a third year uni student and am 20 so my friends are roughly the same age as me
- I just find it ridiculous the amount of people I know who seem to be getting married or having kids - especially considering the amount of time they've been together.
For example friend A - Got pregnant first year of uni - had baby now lives with the dad - to be fair shes the most sensible one - she went back to uni etc
Friend B - Got pregnant after 3 months of being with the guy, now she lives with him, dropped out of uni last I heard they are meant to be getting married - There are many examples of friend B....

My 17 year old cousin (kind of ex cousin - ive never met her etc) is engaged - she got engaged after 6 months with her bloke....

Likewise the couple in the flat upstairs are the exact same age as me and have just got married.

I just find it kind of crazy - Me and my partner were talking about it the other day and we just don't get it - yet another friend online has just announced they are pregnant - Ive lost count of how many have had kids now (an no my friends arernt "chavvy")
I swear we're the only couple who doesn't seem to want kids or get married now - we just think it would be a complete mistake when we have our whole lives ahead of us and we actually want to enjoy what we have....

As I read this, I assumed you were single lol.
Personally I am on your side I am 28 and while I am happy in a relationship I have no plans for marriage or children, we want to life our life and do some travelling first. I have nothing against people who want kids and marriage from an early age, it is just not for me and never has been.
Reply 10
My parents have been together for 19 years and they had only seen each other for 6 months :smile:
Reply 11

The last year has been crazy, so many friends have announced on fb that they're engaged or expecting. Most of the pregnancies don't appear to be planned but they seem to be happy.

You say it like thats a bad thing...
Reply 13
Original post by Wilzyy

Haha no Im not - Me and my partner have been together almost 3 years and moved in together back in September. We're in no hurry to rush our relationship any further - we have a joint bank account, we have a pet - why do we need to get married to prove we want to be together....seems odd to me that so many of my friends think marriage is the be all and end all of a relationship
Reply 14
You say it like thats a bad thing...

No I didn't.
I just assumed the poster was single and a bit jealous of her friends' fast moving relationships.
Reply 15
Well they'll probably be divorced in a few years time. Only thing that affects the rest of us is a whole lot of children who'll grow up with parents who aren't financially secure, nor are they mature enough. I don't know why England have this problem. I agree with you - I think it's neglect from parents side.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending