The Student Room Group

When will gays be able to show public affection comfortably?

When do you think a gay couple will be able to walk down the majority of streets in Britain, hand-in-hand or showing reasonable displays of affection without looks, comments or even violence?

Just like how a mixed race couple can now do this in the majority of streets.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maybe 20-25 years. But I'm talking about people not even really batting an eye lid at the sight.
I don't know. It will probably get worse before it gets better, what with all the Muslim and English Far-Right hatred.
Reply 3
It will always be unusual, haha. It's rare, very much less common that seeing straight couples, so it's always going to look different and people can't help but notice it. Gays need to work on their own confidence, basically.
Reply 4
They already can where I'm from. I've never seen anyone have any issues.
Reply 5
Only when this man is in power.

Reply 6
hmm maybe in 10-15 years or so for the majority of a the Uk, i don't know??????? where i live (Toronto) its a common and very very very prevalent sight, i've French kissed my Bf anywhere without problem, i know its the same for a lot of NY city proper and San Francisco but i'm sure its the same for London too...

gay boys have a tendency to gravitate towards cities partly because of acceptance, partly because of the "scene" and partly cause the city is exciting...... (not generalising here, this is a researched fact)

so even if a country becomes really really accepting it will be a rare sight in many rural/township areas.

either which way it will happen, Nordic and Scandinavian countries are well on the way!
Reply 7
They claim to have pride yet they don't..mistakes happen.
Hopefully never.
I've kissed girls in public; drunk and not. :dontknow:
Original post by cttp_ngaf
It will always be unusual, haha. It's rare, very much less common that seeing straight couples, so it's always going to look different and people can't help but notice it. Gays need to work on their own confidence, basically.

not really around 10% of people are supposed to be gay, which is a big percentage...

10% of people are blates ginger and nobody bats an eyelid >: (
Original post by Vozhak
hmm maybe in 10-15 years or so for the majority of a the Uk, i don't know??????? where i live (Toronto) its a common and very very very prevalent sight, i've French kissed my Bf anywhere without problem, i know its the same for a lot of NY city proper and San Francisco but i'm sure its the same for London too...

gay boys have a tendency to gravitate towards cities partly because of acceptance, partly because of the "scene" and partly cause the city is exciting...... (not generalising here, this is a researched fact)

so even if a country becomes really really accepting it will be a rare sight in many rural/township areas.

either which way it will happen, Nordic and Scandinavian countries are well on the way!

how on earth could you give an estimate for the uk if you don't live in the uk? or have you been there?
I think unfortunately there are always going to be some people who have a problem. You give the example of mixed race couples, but I know that some people unfortunately still regard them as "unnatural", which is obviously a load of rubbish, but some people never change their views.
Reply 13
Seems to be a common theme of people pointing the finger at Muslims on these forums... correct me if I'm wrong but homosexuality is wrong in most major religions especially Christianity and we do live in a country where majority of theists are Christians...

Besides if you really have to be gay and you love your gay partner so much then surely you wouldn't care what other people think?
Reply 14
Original post by bananaterracottapie
how on earth could you give an estimate for the uk if you don't live in the uk? or have you been there?

Because for my Final year i am doing an independent research project on the changing (growing) political power of the LGBT society, stressing on a comparative political discourse of the major developing world regions and the developed world.....

the UK is one of my case studies, of course you i right i do not live there so i cannot make a totally accurate statement but my data is all i have for now, until i start post grad in London next year....

cheers
Reply 15
Original post by KrispyKatieKreme
I've kissed girls in public; drunk and not. :dontknow:

'Girl on Girl' is socially acceptable as long as its performed by attractive young women mainly for the entertainment and titillation of men.

Its harder for actual lesbians.
not really around 10% of people are supposed to be gay, which is a big percentage...

Source?

10% of people are blates ginger

Not sure of England in particular, but wiki says "Approximately 1% to 2% of the human population has red hair.[2][3] It occurs more frequently (between 2% and 6% of the population) in northern and western Europeans"

and nobody bats an eyelid >: (

Actually ginger "teasing" (or abuse, if you like) is extremely common. But, gays being gays, they of course get more upset about it. I guess they're ashamed, basically, whereas personally I am utterly unmoved by someone pointing out that I have gingery hair. I do, I know I do. Them saying it doesn't really affect anything.
Original post by Larrabee
'Girl on Girl' is socially acceptable as long as its performed by attractive young women mainly for the entertainment and titillation of men.

Its harder for actual lesbians.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5zsxfhAh6Q :biggrin:

Everybody loves hot lesbians. lindsay lohan omg
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Liquidus Zeromus
I don't know. It will probably get worse before it gets better, what with all the Muslim and English Far-Right hatred.

not just them, but also the traditional white christian conservatives who harp on about family values etc...
Original post by zainn
Seems to be a common theme of people pointing the finger at Muslims on these forums... correct me if I'm wrong but homosexuality is wrong in most major religions especially Christianity and we do live in a country where majority of theists are Christians...

Besides if you really have to be gay and you love your gay partner so much then surely you wouldn't care what other people think?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/may/07/muslims-britain-france-germany-homosexuality

Quick Reply