The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Need a place to live next term

Hi TSR,
since I can't stand living in Stockton I'm now trying to find a house to live in for the next 2 terms. Has anyone got any suggestions on where I can browse for classifieds or where I should look? Or do you have a friends in need of an extra resident? Any suggestions very much appreciated!
Reply 1
I think your best bet is to try www.durhamstudentpad.co.uk and set the date for houses available from January. Try searching for house and 'room in owner's home' because quite a few landlords rent rooms individually in a student home.

I know there are a couple on sturents.com too.

Also ring up/email big landlords such as Hope Estates, you may be able to move into a postgrad house/one which is let to individual students. And call or email the DSU accommodation office too :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks, I'll check that out!
Original post by replay
Thanks, I'll check that out!

Try gumtree as well!
Reply 4
Thank you guys for your replies, I've been searching for the past week now and gumtree is the only place where I've got any replies. If you have any friends or know any other sites, please let me know! Cheers
Reply 5
Original post by replay
Thank you guys for your replies, I've been searching for the past week now and gumtree is the only place where I've got any replies. If you have any friends or know any other sites, please let me know! Cheers

Have you talked to the DSU accommodation office? They're usually really helpful (it's run by experts, not students).
Reply 6
Yeah I've contacted them but they haven't answered yet, I kinda suspect they're not working until Monday. I've found a place charging £82 a week which is kinda highish. What can I be expecting within walking distance to the city centre?
Reply 7
Original post by replay
Yeah I've contacted them but they haven't answered yet, I kinda suspect they're not working until Monday. I've found a place charging £82 a week which is kinda highish. What can I be expecting within walking distance to the city centre?

I don't think there's a part of Durham that isn't within walking distance of the city centre. There certainly isn't an area with much student housing that I know of outside a 15 minute walk, which is very possible.

If you mean the areas right next to the city centre, like the viaduct area, £82 seems quite high. I think £50 (lowish here) to £70 is more common in the area. However, I could be wrong, and £82 might be reasonable depending on the kind of accommodation (I'm assuming a place in a several bed house).
Original post by replay
Hi TSR,
since I can't stand living in Stockton I'm now trying to find a house to live in for the next 2 terms. Has anyone got any suggestions on where I can browse for classifieds or where I should look? Or do you have a friends in need of an extra resident? Any suggestions very much appreciated!

Try gumtree or vivastreet :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by replay

Is that including bills? If that's right in the city centre (ie Crossgate, next to the science site, Whinney Hill, Elvet), then that's a really good price if it's including bills, and a pretty average price for those areas if it's exclusive - you won't get much cheaper.

If it's in the viaduct or Gilesgate then £70-£75 excluding bills is about average, so £82 including bills is fair for a nice house.

If it's in the Gilesgate area (road towards the big tesco, past Hild Bede) then that's really expensive (unless it's all ensuite or something). Similarly, if it's near Butler/Ustinov colleges/past the Hill colleges then that's also a bit of a rip off.

All those places are within walking distance so look carefully on a map to see where it is!
Original post by dring
I don't think there's a part of Durham that isn't within walking distance of the city centre. There certainly isn't an area with much student housing that I know of outside a 15 minute walk, which is very possible.

If you mean the areas right next to the city centre, like the viaduct area, £82 seems quite high. I think £50 (lowish here) to £70 is more common in the area. However, I could be wrong, and £82 might be reasonable depending on the kind of accommodation (I'm assuming a place in a several bed house).

I don't think there are any £50 houses in the viaduct (except maybe in March/April/May once everyone's signed and there are a few landlords left who are desperate to let their properties).

The DSU put the Viaduct average price at £70ish excluding bills which I think is about right, but it's probably nearer £72 excluding bills for houses the city centre side of the actual Viaduct bridge, and £69/70 excluding bills for houses past the bridge, or up near the train station.

Some are much more, but they do tend to be recently refurbished, really nicely done up houses with lots of bathrooms, big living spaces, all double beds, etc. etc.
Reply 11
Original post by angelmxxx
I don't think there are any £50 houses in the viaduct (except maybe in March/April/May once everyone's signed and there are a few landlords left who are desperate to let their properties).

The DSU put the Viaduct average price at £70ish excluding bills which I think is about right, but it's probably nearer £72 excluding bills for houses the city centre side of the actual Viaduct bridge, and £69/70 excluding bills for houses past the bridge, or up near the train station.

Some are much more, but they do tend to be recently refurbished, really nicely done up houses with lots of bathrooms, big living spaces, all double beds, etc. etc.

I've done some research now and it seems the place is located by "The Poplars" which is close to Neville's Cross which I've learned should be cheaper than £82 a week seeing I'm in talks with some girls that are renting one of their rooms out for £45 a week. I'm fine to pay £70-80 a week if it's in the middle of the city, Viaduct, Gilesgate etc. but once outside, like Neville's Cross, I would expect it to drop.

What do you guys think I should do? Preferably I would want to live in a big house with a lot of people in the city centre(who doesn't?), should I stay cool and wait a couple of more days or am I lucky enough as it is right now to have found a place to rent for 6 months only?
Original post by replay
I've done some research now and it seems the place is located by "The Poplars" which is close to Neville's Cross which I've learned should be cheaper than £82 a week seeing I'm in talks with some girls that are renting one of their rooms out for £45 a week. I'm fine to pay £70-80 a week if it's in the middle of the city, Viaduct, Gilesgate etc. but once outside, like Neville's Cross, I would expect it to drop.

What do you guys think I should do? Preferably I would want to live in a big house with a lot of people in the city centre(who doesn't?), should I stay cool and wait a couple of more days or am I lucky enough as it is right now to have found a place to rent for 6 months only?

Neville's Cross definitely shouldn't be that expensive, unless it's a really nice brand new house/newly refurbished or something.

I'd say wait a few more days, it's very unlikely that the Neville's Cross house will suddenly go as there can't be many people looking for January houses.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest