The Student Room Group

Old and mid resits

Hi people,

I was hoping I could turn to you first before asking at my university and getting a fiery response. I've searched on the internet but couldn't find anything, so I hope you guys know something more.

Basically my problem is that I had some bad grades in my first year at uni and I've been wondering if I can take some resits for those subjects and improve them. I'm in second year now and basically I want to get about 85-90% in my final degree for getting into some Masters programs I'm looking into.

For the second part of my question. Have you heard of anyone that managed, under normal circumstances, to actually take the resits outside their normal period, like midterm or during the normal exams period? That'd be really helpful.

Thank you

Alex
I don't think you would be able to do either of those things but you should check the specific info regarding your uni and course as they all have different policies.

85-90% is very high, do you think you would manage that after doing badly in first year?

And your second idea would mean that they would have to write an exam paper just for you + get someone to invigilate, somewhere to hold the exam, someone to mark it!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Resits are capped at 40%
Reply 3
Kerny are you sure about the 40% cap? I had a resit last year and got a B.

freebee, I could take the resit in tutorial hours. I wouldn't mind paying some fees if it could be done.

Anyway, thanks both of you for your respones.
Original post by Ach022
Kerny are you sure about the 40% cap? I had a resit last year and got a B.

freebee, I could take the resit in tutorial hours. I wouldn't mind paying some fees if it could be done.

Anyway, thanks both of you for your respones.

I know it wasn't directed at me but resit caps are dependant on your uni. In first year at my uni, resits are uncapped but in second/third year they are limited to 40%.

And I'm not really sure what you mean, what about the other people in your tutorial? I really don't think it's going to happen to be honest, how are you going to persuade them to write an exam paper just for you?

Quick Reply