The Student Room Group

How do you react when you recieve a present?

So I give this girl that I like from work a present (small box of choc that she likes kinda rare) and she acted really weirdly!
First she was like 'Wow you actually brought me something?!' Then I handed it to her and she didn't take it so I put it on the table by her. She looked at it for a bit then blushingly asked if I would put it in her bag as she was putting her coat on. Then without saying thanks she walked off, and i'm like wtf? Not even a thank you?
We're normally good friends and speak a lot, her friends even told me that she liked me so that's why I got her a present. I just don't understand why she'd just walk off :dontknow: She's kinda shy normally, and not very good at social situations. is that why she acted like that or does this mean she doesn't like me?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Take it, say thanks, and give the giver a hug. Idk why she did that. :dontknow:
Reply 2
I think its because shes shy..that is a bit weird to act that way though. I would have at least stammered out a thank you, maybe ask her in work in a couple of days if she enjoyed the chocolates and see if she apologises for how she reacted?
Reply 3
You can't "normally" be "good friends" you either are or you're not.
I think she assumed the 'Wow, you actually brought me something?!' would translate to a Thank you in your head. Evidently, this was not the case.
Maybe she was embarassed that she hadn't got you anything? I hate it when that happens to me! Although I always get out of it by smiling and hugging :biggrin:
Reply 6
If it's from my family, i'm like 'thanks' and i flash a small smile, aiming for sincerity if the present in question is **** but in recent years, they've stuck to the list and not deviated, which is unfortunate for Burton...

When i was in year 6, there was this girl on my table and we were very friendly. I bought her a big chocolate bar and she comes in with some £15 aftershave and a huge ass Harry Potter card which was coloured gold on the sides, it really was something. I gave her a normal sized card from a generic 50 pack.

Needless to say, i felt quite embarassed and just hit her with the old 'cool' and went off and erm, played tag.
That does seem a bit weird

I'm quite bad with presents, because i never know how much emotion to show. For example i was given something really thoughtful for my birthday from a friend and i really didn't know what to say, I don't know what emotion to show for *really thoughtful and grateful and special* and it ends up being me thanking them, and them thinking it was a bad gift.

Sometimes easier to open them alone and then tell the person how you feel.
Reply 8
Original post by F i s
You can't "normally" be "good friends" you either are or you're not.

Well its hard to tell, she really quiet so sometimes talking to her is like trying to get blood out of a stone. Other days she's speaks much more and we talk a lot, we share common interests etc
Reply 9
Original post by natashapt
I think its because shes shy..that is a bit weird to act that way though. I would have at least stammered out a thank you, maybe ask her in work in a couple of days if she enjoyed the chocolates and see if she apologises for how she reacted?

It's only part time work, don't see her until January now because she's going on Holiday for christmas :/
Reply 10
The number of times today that i gave things to people and they said "i feel really bad, i didn't get you anything" (i didn't get any prezzies btw :frown: ) i'd be rich....

at the same time, she shouldn't feel obliged to get you something. Plus, it's in good will that you gave her something, so don't feel guilty :smile:

Just thought... what if she thinks you fancy her but needs a bit more time to think if she fancies you back....
Original post by Anonymous
It's only part time work, don't see her until January now because she's going on Holiday for christmas :/

Hmm....text her? Unless you don't have her number then I don't really know what to suggest :s-smilie: Women sometimes eh..
Reply 12
Well its hard to tell, she really quiet so sometimes talking to her is like trying to get blood out of a stone. Other days she's speaks much more and we talk a lot, we share common interests etc

Well then she's not a "good friend" she's just a friend. :wink:
Tbf, she's sounds like she's having trouble with that.
So I give this girl that I like from work a present (small box of choc that she likes kinda rare) and she acted really weirdly!
First she was like 'Wow you actually brought me something?!' Then I handed it to her and she didn't take it so I put it on the table by her. She looked at it for a bit then blushingly asked if I would put it in her bag as she was putting her coat on. Then without saying thanks she walked off, and i'm like wtf? Not even a thank you?
We're normally good friends and speak a lot, her friends even told me that she liked me so that's why I got her a present. I just don't understand why she'd just walk off :dontknow: She's kinda shy normally, and not very good at social situations. is that why she acted like that or does this mean she doesn't like me?

Hey im in a very similar situation so i understand where youre coming from!!!!
Just gave the girl i really like two amazing thoughtfull presents (help from a good mutual friend) one for birthday and the other christmas.......didnt really get a huge thank you from her though, and now im stuck in the what the hell are you thinking!! stage :frown:
Me I thank people profusely because im like that :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by damos92
If it's from my family, i'm like 'thanks' and i flash a small smile, aiming for sincerity if the present in question is **** but in recent years, they've stuck to the list and not deviated, which is unfortunate for Burton...

When i was in year 6, there was this girl on my table and we were very friendly. I bought her a big chocolate bar and she comes in with some £15 aftershave and a huge ass Harry Potter card which was coloured gold on the sides, it really was something. I gave her a normal sized card from a generic 50 pack.

Needless to say, i felt quite embarassed and just hit her with the old 'cool' and went off and erm, played tag.

Lol! :biggrin:
Reply 15

Maybe she does like you, and that's why she acted in such an odd way.

When I'm accepting a gift, I'll immediately thank the giver, and if appropriate give them a hug.
Reply 16
Original post by F i s
Well then she's not a "good friend" she's just a friend. :wink:
Tbf, she's sounds like she's having trouble with that.

Having trouble with what?
well I did a secret santa so that's a bit more complex but otherwise, especially if it's a surprise it's me saying thank you ecstatically and hugging them.

Her reaction seems like you giving her a present sort of dumbfounded her...
Reply 18
Hmm....text her? Unless you don't have her number then I don't really know what to suggest :s-smilie: Women sometimes eh..

Nope, she's very secretive :blush:

I'll feed yer belly with chips and make ye laugh wae ma Scottish accent.

And I'll see if you say "Thank you" to me. :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending