The Student Room Group

What are my options?

Ok I want to be a doctor and despite the cliche. I have wanted to be one since I was younger. I appreciate the fact that I can put science and the wonders of the human body into one whole career path along with emphasising with people.

The crux of the matter is I scored AABBBBCCE at GCSE. I got B in my Chemistry and Physics. I got the C grades in biology and mathematics. BUT ....HERE IS THE EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCE: my nan was ill for over a month and a half and she died on 30th March. My uncle died two weeks before her his death was just sudden.

If say hypothetically I were to get predicted awesome grades and I had good work experience and volunteer experience etc... as well as a PS and UKCAT (you get the drill) would I still have a shot.

I just want to know what options there are for me exactly especially because there are supposed to be good medic people on the scene.

Before you tell me google it or go on the uni websites. I have tried and I sometimes cannot find the info because it is soooo overewhelming sometimes and they dont have my specific answers there.

one question also; Studying abroad? oui or non
and what about 6 year courses.

I do not care much for GEM because of cost and the competitivness compared to undergrad.

I dont give up easy especially when I know somehow I CAN do it.

If you help me well enough I could sub you for two whole months. My Xmas present to you. I am deathly serious.

thank you
Reply 1
Original post by House of Jonny
Ok I want to be a doctor and despite the cliche. I have wanted to be one since I was younger. I appreciate the fact that I can put science and the wonders of the human body into one whole career path along with emphasising with people.

The crux of the matter is I scored AABBBBCCE at GCSE. I got B in my Chemistry and Physics. I got the C grades in biology and mathematics. BUT ....HERE IS THE EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCE: my nan was ill for over a month and a half and she died on 30th March. My uncle died two weeks before her his death was just sudden.

If say hypothetically I were to get predicted awesome grades and I had good work experience and volunteer experience etc... as well as a PS and UKCAT (you get the drill) would I still have a shot.

I just want to know what options there are for me exactly especially because there are supposed to be good medic people on the scene.

Before you tell me google it or go on the uni websites. I have tried and I sometimes cannot find the info because it is soooo overewhelming sometimes and they dont have my specific answers there.

one question also; Studying abroad? oui or non
and what about 6 year courses.

I do not care much for GEM because of cost and the competitivness compared to undergrad.

I dont give up easy especially when I know somehow I CAN do it.

If you help me well enough I could sub you for two whole months. My Xmas present to you. I am deathly serious.

thank you

Your GCSE's aren't terrible, but obviously you have extenuating circumstances which universities may take into account.

Basically, as long as you match all other requirements of the course and have a relevant personal statement and good UKCAT score, you would need to contact universities to see if they would consider your GCSE's in light of your extenuating circumstances. Only they will be able to tell you yes/no.

Some people are advocates of studying abroad, some people don't think it is a good idea. Personally, I don't think it is a good idea and it is better to stay in the UK. If worst comes to worst and you decide to go abroad, I think it is better to go to an English-speaking country because I think language barriers would be pretty significant during clinical years.

GEM is by far a better alternative to studying abroad. It is also, in most cases, significantly cheaper than going to another country where fees may be as high as 30k/year.
Reply 2
Original post by Beska
Your GCSE's aren't terrible, but obviously you have extenuating circumstances which universities may take into account.

Basically, as long as you match all other requirements of the course and have a relevant personal statement and good UKCAT score, you would need to contact universities to see if they would consider your GCSE's in light of your extenuating circumstances. Only they will be able to tell you yes/no.

Some people are advocates of studying abroad, some people don't think it is a good idea. Personally, I don't think it is a good idea and it is better to stay in the UK. If worst comes to worst and you decide to go abroad, I think it is better to go to an English-speaking country because I think language barriers would be pretty significant during clinical years.

GEM is by far a better alternative to studying abroad. It is also, in most cases, significantly cheaper than going to another country where fees may be as high as 30k/year.

Ok thanks. That is true because I know the US and Caribbean schools charge a **** load of money. Just to clarify as to studying abroad I was talking EU countries by the way because the EU states we pay the countries home fees and if they get it free so do we and we get thier financial support packages too that the nationals are entitled too such as Ireland for example and the Czech. Personally I would NOT touch Eastern Europe with a barge poll. Because of racism and I'm Black. So I am quite worried

What med school are you going to/applied to? I was just concerned because most people say that Med schools are a bit stingy and would still find a way to say no to me anyway. Thanks very much though.

So are you for retakes or should I just retake anyway.
Reply 3
You should call the Universities, explain your position and see their responses. I got A*AAAA at GCSE and received 2 offers... and one of the A's was in maths which I resat from a B during my AS year...

I did not apply to Universities with high GCSE requirements, I actually met the GCSE requirements of all my Universities (although its just the minimum, blah blah). When I sent off my UCAS form I sent them all a package with a letter explaining what happened & two supporting documents (ie, so they know I'm not full of BS. You might have to provide things like death certificates....)

Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by lekky

Original post by lekky
You should call the Universities, explain your position and see their responses. I got A*AAAA at GCSE and received 2 offers... and one of the A's was in maths which I resat from a B during my AS year...

I did not apply to Universities with high GCSE requirements, I actually met the GCSE requirements of all my Universities (although its just the minimum, blah blah). When I sent off my UCAS form I sent them all a package with a letter explaining what happened & two supporting documents (ie, so they know I'm not full of BS. You might have to provide things like death certificates....)

Good luck!

Original post by lekky

Good luck!

Thanks lekki. I have my grandmother's death certificate but not my uncles. His son has detached himself from thwe rest of the family and up until now what he has done with his ashes remain a complete mystery. Is there a way how you can go to a town hall and just ask for one even though you are not next of kin. I live in England BTW not scotland as I know scotland is diff in law to england.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending