The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Into the Wild is on Film4 at 9 tonight.
Original post by tani.
Talking about foreign films I really liked Amelie; The World is Big and Salvation Lurks Around the Corner; Soul Kitchen and Magic Paris. And I'm also planning to watch All That I Love; Motorcycle Diaries and the White Ribbon.

What French films did you watch?

The book is better. :pierre:
Reply 5002
Original post by S-man10
That film wasn't really a comedy. More like a holiday-familytime-movie sort of thing. Still crap though...

IMDB

Grown Ups
Genres: Comedy
Original post by tani.
Talking about foreign films I really liked Amelie; The World is Big and Salvation Lurks Around the Corner; Soul Kitchen and Magic Paris. And I'm also planning to watch All That I Love; Motorcycle Diaries and the White Ribbon.

I dont really remember some of their names because its been about 2 years or so since my last French lesson :P Ive seen Amélie and that was really good. Another good french film is He Loves Me... He Loves Me Not. I think another film we watched was The Chorus, but I dont really remember whether I liked that one or not....

We watched a lebanese film called Caramel in Film Studies last year, I liked that one too.
Original post by Roobsa
IMDB

Grown Ups
Genres: Comedy

I know the listed Genre, I was just saying...
Original post by unknownking321
True. :yes: Usually I check out The Review Show and Newsnight Review for their film reviews.

I've just ignored TV completely for a while now and just use print, the internet and podcasts.

For those interested, I can't rate /film's podcast highly enough. They start off discussing what they've been watching (TV and film, and often some unusual picks) then go onto movie news before doing one in-depth review, which probably lasts a good half hour. They're very knowledgeable and eloquent guys and it's a great format. Definitely worth trying. :yy:

Looking forward to this. :teeth:

That looks fantastic.

Original post by Roobsa
In my opinion the biggest flop in terms of recent comedies was Grown Ups. It was just a gargantuan pile of crap.

Nah man, that title goes to Dinner for Schmucks. Soon to be replaced by Gulliver's Travels.
Original post by JellyyBeanyy
On a completely unrelated topic, what do you guys think of foreign films?

About the same as films in general. There's some amazing films, some crap ones, and a lot in the middle. :p:

Favourites are probably Volver, Vicky Cristina Barcelona (I Love Cruz) and Pan's Labyrinth.

Original post by S-man10
I don't know if the franchise will return to form. This is the final film and they probably want to go out with a bang. But the transition from the 3rd to the 4th film was a big one.

Essentially, the first 3 films were a bit light hearted, funny, action packed and therefore enjoyable, but the 4th film took a major turn by making the whole thins serious. It suddenly felt like a drama, and the seriousness I felt was the same as TDK, imo.

The only one I enjoyed was the first, because of how fresh it felt but also because it had a definite focus on what it was trying to achieve. The second and third ones were pretty unmemorably bad, and the fourth one was completely dire and derivative to the extreme, This one looks like it could retain it's focus, but it seems to be written and directed by the same people that made the last one, so I'm not holding out too much hope.
Original post by JellyyBeanyy

On a completely unrelated topic, what do you guys think of foreign films?

I don't venture into foreign films unless other people recommend specific ones that are good. And there are some foreigns films which simply can't be replicated with the same sort of vision by an English film.

Some truly great gems are; Oldboy, Der Untergang (Downfall), Los Cronocrímenes, The Dreamers, Amélie, Pan's Labyrinth, District 13, Battle Royale, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Kung Fu Hustle and Hero.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5008
Original post by Madjackismad
The book is better. :pierre:

books are always better :P but I usually try not to compare and treat a film just as an interpretation of a book, and interpretations don't have to be copies of books :P :biggrin:
Original post by Phalanges
I've just ignored TV completely for a while now and just use print, the internet and podcasts.

For those interested, I can't rate /film's podcast highly enough. They start off discussing what they've been watching (TV and film, and often some unusual picks) then go onto movie news before doing one in-depth review, which probably lasts a good half hour. They're very knowledgeable and eloquent guys and it's a great format. Definitely worth trying. :yy:

That looks fantastic.

That's for the heads up. :smile:

I saw the trailer on the big screen along with the trailers of True Grit and Black Swan. I nearly jizzed my pants. :colondollar:

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I don't venture into foreign films unless other people recommend specific ones that are good. And there are some foreigns films which simply can't be replicated with the same sort of vision by an English film.

Some truly great gems are; Oldboy, Der Untergang (Downfall), Los Cronocrímenes, The Dreamers, Amélie, Pan's Labyrinth, District 13, Battle Royale, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Kung Fu Hustle and Hero.

If you haven't watched Infernal Affairs, watch it now. :fuhrer: Fanatics.
Don't know what to make of this.

The Original Gangsters to reunite? :holmes: http://www.slashfilm.com/robert-de-niro-confirms-al-pacino-joe-pesci-the-irishman-2011/
Original post by tani.
books are always better :P but I usually try not to compare and treat a film just as an interpretation of a book, and interpretations don't have to be copies of books :P :biggrin:

Well, it's Che Guevara's autobiography. :p: The director isn't going to get all high tech on him because of his 'interpretation' of the book. :awesome:
Reply 5012
Well, it's Che Guevara's autobiography. :p: The director isn't going to get all high tech on him because of his 'interpretation' of the book. :awesome:

ok, i give up :biggrin: you're right this time :P :biggrin:
lonely14
X

Welcome to the chat thread and society! :h:
Welcome to the chat thread and society! :h:

No, you welcome to the chat thread. :colonhash:

Spoiler

What's up?

Currently listening to the Pulp Fiction soundtrack. Forgot how great it is:

That bassline. :coma:
(edited 13 years ago)

If you haven't watched Infernal Affairs, watch it now. :fuhrer: Fanatics.

Infernal Affairs. Sounds like a seduction movie that takes place in an office. :holmes:

No, you welcome to the chat thread. :colonhash:

Spoiler

What's up?

Day 2 of freedom-holiday-no-work-from-university-month-of-hedonism .... bored. :colonhash: And all my Amazon orders are backlogged. You?

Tron tonight for you? Oh wait, you're seeing it on Saturday. :pierre:
Infernal Affairs. Sounds like a seduction movie that takes place in an office. :holmes:

Day 2 of freedom-holiday-no-work-from-university-month-of-hedonism .... bored. :colonhash: And all my Amazon orders are backlogged. You?

Tron tonight for you? Oh wait, you're seeing it on Saturday. :pierre:

Infernal Affairs is what Martin Scorsese remade into The Departed. :p:

Day 4 for me (technically I should be at uni, but it finishes tomorrow anyway). Actually drove up today, pick up the stuff from my room. :awesome:

Yep. Saturday, at the IMAX. :pierre:
Reply 5017
Original post by tani.

It's a good surprise to see someone here likes a bulgarian movie (World is Big and Salvation Lurks Around the Corner). :smile: I'm from Bulgaria and I've always thought that our cinema it's not that big to be known abroad, but recently we've started making some really good movies. Have you watched "Eastern plays" for that matter?

"Motorcycle Diaries" is really nice and inspirational, I actually liked the movie more than the book. And other superb foreign movies I could recommend to you are "Le scaphandre et le papillon", "Les chansons d'amour", "The Dreamers", "La vita e bella", "Das Leben der Anderen", "Goodbye, Lenin"...

Anyway, I'm new to this tread, guys :smile:
I just watched "Fight club" the other day and it was cool to see the two rules of the Film Fanatics Society just after that :biggrin:.
5-6 new posters within a week. Signature promotions seem to be doing the job. :proud:

Original post by jenesais

Anyway, I'm new to this tread, guys :smile:

Welcome to the thread! :h:

I just watched "Fight club" the other day and it was cool to see the two rules of the Film Fanatics Society just after that :biggrin:.

Thanks. :biggrin:

Any other films you have watched recently? Are there any you are looking forward to? :smile:
Anyone here ever thought that Tobey Maguire is the wrong choice for Spiderman?

Latest