The Student Room Group

Why do people think we will contact aliens?

We all know life has, does and will exist throughout the universe - there's no questioning we are not alone - but consider my point. Humans have only been technologically advanced for maybe 60 years now after evolving for a couple hundred thousand years and there's no doubt we will probably only last a century or two more before our civilisations collapse or we kill ourselves. The universe has existed for 15 billion years. This means that any life that has existed probably doesn't exist now and there will be a very tiny number of civilisations with whom we could contact, which is diminished further when we look for civilisations close to ours. Thus, there is almost zero chance that we will ever make contact with another civilisation while we exist.

Why are people so ignorant of this fact? People (scientists) seem to be so narrow minded that they believe life must exist and it must exist right now, completely disregarding the fact that intelligent life doesn't last long (1000 years is a huge time scale, if we make contact with a civilisation 1000 light years away they probably won't be around by the time we receive their first message) and the enormous time scale for the existence of life in the universe. Is it because they are stupid, narrow minded or just sad?

Also give me your opinions on aliens, etcetera.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh dear.
Reply 2
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
Reply 3
because stephen hawking told us so
Reply 4
The probability that we're the only intelligent life form in the universe is extremely small. You're forgetting that there are countless of galaxies in the universe with suns like ours, the chances that a similar series of events that happened on earth happening elsewhere is pretty damn high.
Also you're basing the lifespan of intelligent life to what has happened in the past which his hardly credible.
Reply 5
Original post by CapnHooch
The probability that we're the only intelligent life form in the universe is extremely small. You're forgetting that there are countless of galaxies in the universe with suns like ours, the chances that a similar series of events that happened on earth happening elsewhere is pretty damn high.
Also you're basing the lifespan of intelligent life to what has happened in the past which his hardly credible.

I know that and I explained that in the OP, but my point was that the universe is 15 billion years old so it's unlikely any intelligent civilisation will exist now the same time as us, and it's even less likely we will be able to contact them right now.

What makes you think all life that is possible must exist right now?
Reply 6
Original post by Xtremist
Oh dear.

what?
Reply 7
Original post by concubine
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

what's the problems?
If you are looking for a "scientific" answer, there isn't one. Astrobiology is only in it's infancy, but there's real progress being made though.

So... If you did want a technical answer, then there are more basic questions that no-one knows the answers to yet, such as "what are the conditions for life to begin/develop/continue?"

If not? Just a general question?
Answer: Scientists can be "optimistic" :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Pheylan
because stephen hawking told us so

> implying stephen hawking is intelligent and knows what he's talking about

the man can't speak and sits in a wheelchair all day letting his computer do all the work while he takes the credit for being 'intelligent'. the man is a fool.
SKYLINE

edit:

Stephen Hawking: “If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn’t turn out well for the Native Americans…

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn’t want to meet.”

:sexface:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Broderss

the man can't speak and sits in a wheelchair all day letting his computer do all the work while he takes the credit for being 'intelligent'. the man is a fool.

I believe this person has been terribly misinformed.
Reply 12

oh dear, oh dear, oh dear

lol, if you're not joking you're a moron

Reply 15
Original post by Pheylan
oh dear, oh dear, oh dear

shut up phenlyan u think u r cool but u r not
Reply 16
Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH
lol, if you're not joking you're a moron

how so? :holmes:
Reply 17
Original post by History-Student
http://images.starcraftmazter.net/4chan/for_forums/cool_story_bro2.jpg

Care to present a clear, valid argument to refute my statement? I thought not. I think I win :five:
Reply 18
I know that and I explained that in the OP, but my point was that the universe is 15 billion years old so it's unlikely any intelligent civilisation will exist now the same time as us, and it's even less likely we will be able to contact them right now.

What makes you think all life that is possible must exist right now?

Why do you assume we won't be here in a few thousand years?

The universe may be that old but it most certainly could not support intelligent life for all that time.

Why is it unlikely? There are billions of star solar systems capable of supporting intelligent life. What makes you so sure we're the only ones?
shut up phenlyan u think u r cool but u r not

Care to present a clear, valid argument to refute my statement? I thought not. I think I win :five:

Nah, I'm cool just posting retarded images in reply to your retarded posts (that technically I agree with, but am bored).
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply