The Student Room Group

Why do people think we will contact aliens?

Scroll to see replies

"If the entire history of the world were expressed in 24 hours, we'd only make up 2 seconds of it"

That quote really gets to me, I mean think what came before, and what is to come. In the "two seconds" we've been here for, we've had a major impact on the world.

I think that the statistical chance of Alien Lifeforms indicate that it is a major possibility. Personally i believe they exist so, there are millions of planets which have the ability to harbour life, its just a matter of having one planet whose species evolved faster than ours, and had the resources to travel near light speed.

Anything is possible, even time travel. Simple logic would indicate that if it were possible we can travel in time, somone would have already come to our time to talk about it. Don't you just love Paradox's ? :tongue:
Reply 21
Original post by ?!master?!mini?!
SKYLINE

edit:

Stephen Hawking: “If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn’t turn out well for the Native Americans…

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn’t want to meet.”

:sexface:

Although I think if a society evolves to become advanced enough to travel thousands of light years, a) they are going to think we and our planet are very insignificant, and b) they are likely to have developed morals etc so probably wouldn't want to harm another sentient being - or even any living organism.
Reply 22
Original post by Broderss
shut up phenlyan u think u r cool but u r not

notsureifserious.jpg
Reply 23
how so? :holmes:

Because you seem to imply that the computer does the thinking. He communicates through the computer in the same way a deaf man communicates through sign language or you communicate by talking. Also he was a genius before he was diagnosed with the illness.

Plus he has alot of time to think about things being confined to a wheelchair.

On your OP. That may be true but there's no harm in looking anyway. Also technology is advancing so rapidly, only recently we couldn't detect planets outside our solar system, then only 'hot Jupiters' - massive planets extremely close to their star. Now look what we can do. Who knows what we'll find oneday.
Reply 24
Although I think if a society evolves to become advanced enough to travel thousands of light years, a) they are going to think we and our planet are very insignificant, and b) they are likely to have developed morals etc so probably wouldn't want to harm another sentient being - or even any living organism.

Not really insignificant. The number of solar systems capable of supporting life is still dwarfed by the number which aren't.
Reply 25
Original post by crazycake93
"If the entire history of the world were expressed in 24 hours, we'd only make up 2 seconds of it"

That quote really gets to me, I mean think what came before, and what is to come. In the "two seconds" we've been here for, we've had a major impact on the world.

I think that the statistical chance of Alien Lifeforms indicate that it is a major possibility. Personally i believe they exist so, there are millions of planets which have the ability to harbour life, its just a matter of having one planet whose species evolved faster than ours, and had the resources to travel near light speed.

Anything is possible, even time travel. Simple logic would indicate that if it were possible we can travel in time, somone would have already come to our time to talk about it. Don't you just love Paradox's ? :tongue:

I agree, but my point was that it is extremely unlikely we will be able to contact other life while we exist on this planet. It is impossible for there not to be life in the universe before or after we exist, but there's no guarantee any intelligent life exists right now.
Reply 26

That or they'll do to us what we do to cattle.
A conservative estimate of the number of planetary bodies in the universe is a billion billion. Even if you put the chances of life evolving on a planet at the incredibly low numbers of one in a billion (lots of people don't seem to understand how tiny this is) that's still a billion planets with life on them. The problem is technological - they would have to be using the exact same transmission technologies as us at the time their messages was sent compared to those we received. If we get rid of radio signals and go full digital, a likely prospect, it's unlikely our skies will still be being watched for radio signals - that a less advanced civilisation could have sent up to a million years ago.

I reiterate; the problem is technological. Who says that we aren't the most advanced society in the universe? Though unlikely, it is not impossible! Who says we aren't being bombarded by signals in a technology we cannot even begin to understand at this stage? Who knows. All the conviction I can place is that if we are not a computer simulation, we are most certainly not alone.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Ewan
Why do you assume we won't be here in a few thousand years?

The universe may be that old but it most certainly could not support intelligent life for all that time.

Why is it unlikely? There are billions of star solar systems capable of supporting intelligent life. What makes you so sure we're the only ones?

no, i'm saying i know life does exist, will exist and has existed in the universe; my point was out of the 15 billion years the universe has been here why do you think so much life would exist right now?

and i know our civilisation won't last long because just look at the past - sparta, the roman empire, the british empire, the mongolian empire - civilisations do not last long and it is ignorant to assume ours will survive forever. also, i said a few centuries not a few millennia. i doubt it'll even last our lifetime terribly well.

just as Columbus thought the native Americans were insignificant. Where were Columbus's morals?

I think skyline is probably the most accurate picture of what i think will happen when aliens come to Earth :lol:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by insoms
That or they'll do to us what we do to cattle.

i think there's more chance of us or computers doing that to humanity than for a bunch of green men to travel millions of light years to farm and eat us. they would have probably done away with eating and other primitive activities altogether.
no, i'm saying i know life does exist, will exist and has existed in the universe; my point was out of the 15 billion years the universe has been here why do you think so much life would exist right now?

and i know our civilisation won't last long because just look at the past - sparta, the roman empire, the british empire, the mongolian empire - civilisations do not last long and it is ignorant to assume ours will survive forever. also, i said a few centuries not a few millennia. i doubt it'll even last our lifetime terribly well.

Oh man I forgot our civilisation was wiped out in 'sparta, the roman empire, the british empire, the mongolian empire'. Allow me to drop dead now.

Our civilisation refers to us as a species, not pockets of groups which may or may not advance beyond. The fact is something replaced these societies who were most certainly human.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 32

Why not?

What do you mean look at the past? Empires do not last long, but humanity has survived just fine.
Reply 33
Original post by ?!master?!mini?!
just as Columbus thought the native Americans were insignificant. Where were Columbus's morals?

humans were clearly very primitive in the 16th century and still are today.
humans were clearly very primitive in the 16th century and still are today.

basically to end this thread. Watch SKYLINE and you will know what happens when these ****ing aliens come to earth :cool:
Reply 35
Original post by Ewan
Why not?

What do you mean look at the past? Empires do not last long, but humanity has survived just fine.

the only civilisation to possess technology is today's which we now know won't last long by looking at the track record of humanity. so when our civilisation collapses we will lose our technology. this can be applied to other civilisations out there.
Reply 36
i think there's more chance of us or computers doing that to humanity than for a bunch of green men to travel millions of light years to farm and eat us. they would have probably done away with eating and other primitive activities altogether.

I meant that they'll regard us in the same manner as we regard cattle. I didn't mean they'll literally farm us.

A technically advanced species that is that intelligent and capable of great spacetravel probably has such amazing technology, and to gte to that stage of development they must of been extremely good at utilizing resources. Just like humans discovered coal and suddenly it snowballs and we need more and more, they'll use more and more of whatever it is they use, and need more, and be extremely adept at procuring it. They might just simply sweep through every planet they come accross stripping it bare and do the same to us. Take whatever it is they need from our planet (that we can't comprehend at the moment, might be something mundane like stripping our planet bare of silicon or something random), take a few of us as a curiosity (in the same way we'd take a culture of bacteria to put under the microscope and dispose of it afterwards as if they're nothing but they're life just the same as we are). They could spread out from their now depleted homeworld doing that to everything in their path.
What if aliens contact us? They could be on their way already. Or...they could have contacted us already. Who knows what Earths governments are hiding from us... Area 51 anybody?
Reply 38
the only civilisation to possess technology is today's which we now know won't last long by looking at the track record of humanity. so when our civilisation collapses we will lose our technology. this can be applied to other civilisations out there.

Human beings have always possessed technology. Being able to create tools to hunt may seem insignificant now, but it was a break through at the time. I'm sure todays discoveries will look like childs play in a thousand years time.
Reply 39
Stupid scientists?At least they use logic and scientific facts. What are you classed as for predicting that our civilization will vanish within the next century or so. A stupid prophet maybe?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending