The Student Room Group

Why are people so ignorant about suicide and depression?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mathew551
This thread is so interesting... I'm studying psychology at A-level and because of this thread, it's made me question what I'm being taught. =o

What are you being taught?
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
What are you being taught?

At the moment I'm being taught about anomalistic psychology and schizophrenia.
Reply 262
At the moment I'm being taught about anomalistic psychology and schizophrenia.

I hope you don't think people who commit suicide or feel suicial are weak :frown:
Reply 263
As a rule of thumb people will be ignorant and dismissive of any illness particularly mental illnesses unless they suffer/have suffered with said illness in the past.
If you are entitled to live then you are also entitled to die.
Original post by Captain92
I hope you don't think people who commit suicide or feel suicial are weak :frown:

I think it takes a considerable amount of courage to go ahead with suicide, it's kind of like a sign of strength from the person. These people still have character and are still human - they aren't mindless - it's just that when their perceived quality of life falls below a personal threshold they 'realise' that suicide becomes a viable option.

I know someone who has tried to commit suicide, this person suffered horrible familial issues that are still going on. She is one of the strongest people I know.
Original post by .Ali.
What the hell? This is ridiculous. It's not the victims fault.

You cannot compare like that, everyone is different. It's not about being weak, it's about what affects different people. For example, if two people were being bullied about being poor, one was actually poor, and one wasn't, it would affect the poor person more, simply because it hurts being bullied about something you can't change. Similarly, if someone said something about the other person that was true or about an insecurity they had, it would hurt them.

That isnt true, in your example specifically, poor people have become successful, if they can do it , you and I can do it with some hard work and confidence in ourselves! :awesome:

That attitude in the quote usually is teh starting point for people to get depresssed and eventually killing themselves (aka I cant do anything, my life is sh** and I hate everything bla bla bla)
Reply 267
I think it takes a considerable amount of courage to go ahead with suicide, it's kind of like a sign of strength from the person. These people still have character and are still human - they aren't mindless - it's just that when their perceived quality of life falls below a personal threshold they 'realise' that suicide becomes a viable option.

I know someone who has tried to commit suicide, this person suffered horrible familial issues that are still going on. She is one of the strongest people I know.

I believe it's more to do with Freud's 'Thanatos', the victim which is not of compos mentis cannot achieve 'libido' and therefore longs for the ultimate state of death which is what we all eventually embrace.
Reply 268

Thank you. You just single handedly restored my confidence in mankind.

Edit: I'll use this post to thank everybody else who is of a similar opinion to the one quoted.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 269
Original post by yurihammo
That isnt true, in your example specifically, poor people have become successful, if they can do it , you and I can do it with some hard work and confidence in ourselves! :awesome:

That attitude in the quote usually is teh starting point for people to get depresssed and eventually killing themselves (aka I cant do anything, my life is sh** and I hate everything bla bla bla)

May I just point out that it isn't possible for every poor person to become successful? Indeed success is a relative thing, and the people at the top wouldn't be at the top if there weren't substantially more people underneath them, metaphorically speaking.
As it is, I don't think you fully understand the suicidal mindset. Most suicides are impulsive, and around 90% of people who commit suicide are classifiably mentally ill.
I realise that it is difficult to comprehend how these people think and feel, but please don't simply dismiss them as casualties of negative thinking. In fact, negative thinking could be either a cause or a symptom of depression. It may be both.
People who try to minimise suicide, mental illness and depression in particular maybe do not realise how much they are insulting people who have those afflictions.
It's like me saying "pfff cancer doesn't hurt! MAN UP!", when I have no idea what that person is going through. Instead, I listen to how they feel, I try to understand how much mental/ physical pain that it causes, and I do my best to support them.
Apologies if I have misinterpreted your above post- which is highly possible, I tend to skim read the internet.
Reply 270
Original post by yurihammo

Ye they can, but at school, a child can't help it until they leave and get their own job. Therefore, unless you are devoid of emotions, you will get upset.

Depression is an illness. You're not weaker for having depression than you are for having diabetes, and if you believe there is, you're very ignorant.

Thats nonsense. What would be harder, facing up to your problems, or giving up(aka suicide)?
Original post by SmallTownGirl
This may be the case for you and your best friend but it not the case for me. I have also been diagnosed with depression and an eating disorder. I'm undergoing treatment currently. I don't hide it. It's part of me. I need people to understand what's going on with me so that they can tell when I'm falling apart and give me some support. I need people to understand why I'm weird sometimes and how my depression and the treatment of other people towards me sometimes makes me say things I don't mean and why I find it hard to trust people. If my friends didn't know about it all they'd just think I was some b*itch and they wouldn't be friends with me anymore.

Also, I'm not ashamed. If I had a 'physical' illness, should I hide it? Why is this any different for me? And I know some people can't talk about it so I think it's important that the people who can try to raise awareness and change attitudes.

Thats is not exactly what i meant. It's great that you can come forward and say, yes i have problem and i have done that too, but i'n not talking about the people who can come forward and admit there is something wrong with them as a way of explaining to people why they are bit crazy sometimes, i'm talking about the people who sit around and moan constantly abut everything that is wrong with their life and don't shut up about it ever, which i feel is really just attention seeking and imho not what depression is about at all.
Reply 273
Original post by Architecture-er
3) Drags other people down who have to listen to all their whining.

Not all depressed people spend their time whining. In fact I would say the majority don't... it's kinda rare for people to go around broadcasting their depression.
Reply 274
Original post by Lewroll
Thats nonsense. What would be harder, facing up to your problems, or giving up(aka suicide)?

Actually, suicide does take a lot of courage. The person who is doing it is leaving everything they have ever known, and taking a huge jump into the unknown. Is there an afterlife? Will they ever see those they love? Will they even remember this life? As the afterlife is so uncertain, there is no garauntee that it will even stop the pain.

Think about it, you can't undo it. It's final. It takes a lot of guts to do that. It isn't weak at all.
Reply 275
Original post by Steevee
How does one go about becoming depressed?

I kinda want to be, so I can justify my opinion on the matter.

Are you actually being serious? You WAN'T to be depressed? You wan't to spend each day wishing that something might happen to you which means you were killed, or constantly thinking about how to die? Or possibly you wan't to push the people that mean most to you away from them, leaving you completely and utterly alone? You wan't to lie awake at night because you can't sleep, and spend the whole time thinking how much you hate yourself for being who you are? Or maybe it's the constand paranoia, guilt, and general feelings of being worthless that you're after?
Original post by .Ali.
Actually, suicide does take a lot of courage. The person who is doing it is leaving everything they have ever known, and taking a huge jump into the unknown. Is there an afterlife? Will they ever see those they love? Will they even remember this life? As the afterlife is so uncertain, there is no garauntee that it will even stop the pain.

Think about it, you can't undo it. It's final. It takes a lot of guts to do that. It isn't weak at all.

Oh poor me. my life is so awful. I have no friends. My dog died. My parents hate me. My job is awful. My girlfriend is having an affair. Im being bullied by the milkman. Everynight i sit in my room and sob in a ball of self pity. I think im depressed. I keep having negative thoughts about life and i feel slightly suicidal. Maybe I should try and fix my problems? No, that will take too long and I am too weak to deal with my problems. So what should i do? I know, i will jump in front of a train on the spur of the moment. That way it will all be over quickly and i will never have to face any of my problems!! I can just leave everyone else to sort out my mess. The good thing is, after Im dead people will say i was brave because i killed myself. HA HA HA how foolish they are. Oh, i have to go, i have a train to catch!
Reply 277
Original post by Lewroll
Oh poor me. my life is so awful. I have no friends. My dog died. My parents hate me. My job is awful. My girlfriend is having an affair. Im being bullied by the milkman. Everynight i sit in my room and sob in a ball of self pity. I think im depressed. I keep having negative thoughts about life and i feel slightly suicidal. Maybe I should try and fix my problems? No, that will take too long and I am too weak to deal with my problems. So what should i do? I know, i will jump in front of a train on the spur of the moment. That way it will all be over quickly and i will never have to face any of my problems!! I can just leave everyone else to sort out my mess. The good thing is, after Im dead people will say i was brave because i killed myself. HA HA HA how foolish they are. Oh, i have to go, i have a train to catch!

You are one of the most ignorant people I've ever met. I personally think you may be trolling, but even so, that's really distasteful.

It is not to do with being weak. You don't even have to have something to be depressed about. It is an ILLNESS. Mocking the depressed is like mocking the disabled, it's childish.

Also, you don't just jump in front of a train. Usually, you spend ages considering what to do, and it's a horrible feeling. Unless you yourself have ever felt like that, I strongly suggest you do not comment, as clearly you know nothing about it.
Original post by .Ali.
You are one of the most ignorant people I've ever met. I personally think you may be trolling, but even so, that's really distasteful.

It is not to do with being weak. You don't even have to have something to be depressed about. It is an ILLNESS. Mocking the depressed is like mocking the disabled, it's childish.

Also, you don't just jump in front of a train. Usually, you spend ages considering what to do, and it's a horrible feeling. Unless you yourself have ever felt like that, I strongly suggest you do not comment, as clearly you know nothing about it.

LOL, you're calling me ignorant?! Haha!!

May I ask you a question? (answer truthfully) Have you ever seen anyone jump in front of a train?
Original post by .Ali.
So I was reading this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=28902489#post28902489

and I'm completely shocked and appalled at some of the responses, for example:

"Suicide is for the weakminded"
"Survival of the fittest, he deserved to die"
"I have no sympathy with people who do this selfish act" etc.

How can people be so heartless and ignorant? Also, surely people should be more angry at the bullies? That poor boy died because of some cold hearted, foul people who were complete and utter cowards.

Depression is a chemical imbalance for Gods sake, I don't know why people see it any differently from any other illness. Having it does NOT make you weak in any way, no more than having any other illness does. Why the ignorance and the judgement?

The problem here is the bullies, surely more should be done to combat bullying and abuse?

Urgh this makes me ridiculously angry. People who've never had depression or felt suicidal have no right to judge.

I think it's pretty ignorant to blame a few people for someone commiting suicide. Would he have killed himself if he had a caring emotionally responsive family? Or if he wasn't depressed? Bullys are bad obviously but they don't alone kill someone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending