The Student Room Group

Are these Universities that I have chosen are good for social experiences?

Hello :smile:

I have already chosen 5 universities that I have sent to UCAS but are these Unis any good for partying, student unions, volunteering and societies?

I have chosen

De Monte fort ( I know it has a good Business department but I heard its a ****whole city in general. So people say anyway )

Sheffield Hallam ( apparently lots of fit girls, but is there more to it than just 'fit' girls?)

Edinburgh Napier ( don't know alot about the social side )

Kent ( I heard the people there are nice but a bit smug )
and
Oxford Brookes ( I went there but im not completely convinced :s-smilie: )

Basically I don't just want to look for a Uni thats good studying ( I chose Business orienated Universities ), I want a all rounded social experience too :wink:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
De montefort - Nothing there
Kent - Nothing there
Oxford Brookes - Nothing there

The others are better.
Reply 2
Are you sure you should be going to university? You can't even compose a sentence.
Reply 3
Others are better, Edinburgh looks like fun from what people say, Sheffield is alright. The rest I imagine would be crap, because they're in the middle of nowhere.
Reply 4
Original post by Huskaris
Are you sure you should be going to university? You can't even compose a sentence.

Well I tryed :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by curiositywolf

tried*

:merryxmas:
Reply 6
Edinburgh and Sheffield are both a lot of fun.
Reply 7
If you go to any uni and are bored - then you're the one with the problems, not the university.
Reply 8
Original post by Drewski
If you go to any uni and are bored - then you're the one with the problems, not the university.

Not necessarily. I'd struggle to fit into Oxbridge more than other unis, because I'm from a lower working class background and it'd be harder to relate to the Eton elitists.
Reply 9
Hello :smile:

I have already chosen 5 universities that I have sent to UCAS but are these Unis any good for partying, student unions, volunteering and societies?

I have chosen

De Monte fort ( I know it has a good Business department but I heard its a ****whole city in general. So people say anyway )

Sheffield Hallam ( apparently lots of fit girls, but is there more to it than just 'fit' girls?)

Edinburgh Napier ( don't know alot about the social side )

Kent ( I heard the people there are nice but a bit smug )
and
Oxford Brookes ( I went there but im not completely convinced :s-smilie: )

Basically I don't just want to look for a Uni thats good studying ( I chose Business orienated Universities ), I want a all rounded social experience too :wink:

Im trying to work out what the asterisks are in place of. But yeah, edinburgh and shef are awesome
Reply 10
Know a few people that have been to Sheffield University and they've said the city is amazing :smile:
I don't like Scotland (sorry) so I wouldn't be the best judge on that, Kent i can't imagine has much happening, DeMonfort certainly not and Oxford Brookes possibly not that amazing but i know someone's that's there who always seems to be out :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by TWF
Not necessarily. I'd struggle to fit into Oxbridge more than other unis, because I'm from a lower working class background and it'd be harder to relate to the Eton elitists.

I thought that the average over all Oxbridge colleges was 50/50 private/state? Dunno what the Eton percentage is specifically but surely they're a smallish minority?
Reply 12
Original post by georgia
I thought that the average over all Oxbridge colleges was 50/50 private/state? Dunno what the Eton percentage is specifically but surely they're a smallish minority?

I said it'd be harder, didn't say I wouldn't fit in at all. But you can't deny it would be harder than fitting into a, say, mid/lower table uni. Simply because there are more students from my background there, not saying Oxbridge hasn't got any students like me. 50/50 private is a lot, so obviously it'd be harder for somebody like me to fit in, wow. How much more clearer can I make it?:rolleyes:
Reply 13

Dw, people on here can be complete knobs.
I'd say Sheffield and Edinburgh would be the best places to go for nightlife etc
Reply 14
Original post by TWF
I said it'd be harder, didn't say I wouldn't fit in at all. But you can't deny it would be harder than fitting into a, say, mid/lower table uni. Simply because there are more students from my background there, not saying Oxbridge hasn't got any students like me. 50/50 private is a lot, so obviously it'd be harder for somebody like me to fit in, wow. How much more clearer can I make it?:rolleyes:

I can see your argument, but then it rests on the assumption that you wouldn't get on with anyone from a private school. In my experience, once you're at uni it's pretty hard to tell what school someone went to unless you get into a conversation about it. People who go to private schools aren't all stuck up and horrible, just like people who go to state schools don't all fit into one stereotype either.
Reply 15
Original post by d123
I can see your argument, but then it rests on the assumption that you wouldn't get on with anyone from a private school. In my experience, once you're at uni it's pretty hard to tell what school someone went to unless you get into a conversation about it. People who go to private schools aren't all stuck up and horrible, just like people who go to state schools don't all fit into one stereotype either.

I did not once say I wouldn't get on with everyone from private school. I specifically said it would be harder. I think it would be harder, doesn't matter how much harder. It would be more difficult and uneasier environment, lol. I've heard plenty of stories about 'private school cliques' in unis before.
Reply 16
Original post by TWF
I did not once say I wouldn't get on with everyone from private school. I specifically said it would be harder. I think it would be harder, doesn't matter how much harder. It would be more difficult and uneasier environment, lol. I've heard plenty of stories about 'private school cliques' in unis before.

I know that's what you said, but I was just saying that I don't think it's necessarily true.
My friend goes to De montefort, she loves it there, i've also visited her there and thought it was alright, a few clubs for the night life.University seems pretty good, everyone seems really friendly there.
I went to University of Kent, in Canterbury. Canterbury is a pretty small. There's a few places to go to in the town, gets busy during student nights. We had quite a lot of socials which a lot of people attended.
Reply 18
Original post by TWF

The question referred not only to universities, but the cities in which they were located. Suggesting that there's anywhere in the UK [with a university] that someone would be bored in implies that person has a severely limited imagination. So some of the colleges at either Oxbridge institution might not be to your taste or have people you'd readily relate to [which, IMO is more boring than having different people around, but each to their own], but the wider cities will have something to offer, hence my original comment.
Reply 19
Original post by TWF

An eyeroll? Really? How much more arrogant can you be?

I really disagree with you. There isn't such a massive gulf between privately/state educated. I know plenty of people who were privately educated and plenty who were state educated, and everyone gets on fine within the same social circle. It's got nothing to do with it. Background means nothing when you're away from home, it's attitudes and values that matter. Are you going to be elitist yourself and try to claim that people from opposing backgrounds cannot possibly share the same values?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending