The Student Room Group

just a shy girl :(....

well, im a girl and im 17, at college doing a levels. i also have a part-time job and planning on going to uni next september.
but, i really scared of not making friends at uni, becos i am realllyyy shy when i meet new people and it takes me long to eventually open up and be ME!
cos although people think im quiet/shy i do actually have a loud, funny side to me, but only my close friends see that.

also, i find it hard to talk in big group situations. for example, if im with my best friend i will talk to her like normal and not be shy or quiet etc. but when lots of other people come along i just go soooo quiet. im also really shy around boys that i like lol :colondollar:

and when i start uni, i really want to be more confident, so that people dont think im quiet and boring becos (not to be big headed) i think that i am fun to be around.

anyone got any advice and tips on making conversation with new people and how to become more confident.
and tips on talking to boys.

thankssss! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
shy
=fit
Reply 2
why?
Reply 3
im joking
Reply 4
Original post by lalala1
i think that i am fun to be around.

I've never met a shy person that was fun to be around. Edit: - shy people live a ****ing boring life.

Anyway what's there to be shy about? What's the worst that can come from introducing yourself to people and speaking your mind a conversation?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Just try to talk more in a group. Take it from there. I don't really know how to make you un-shy. Maybe just try to remember that noone really cares that your talking - everybody does it.

Also, shy girls are cute:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Yawn11
I've never met a shy person that was fun to be around.

Anyway what's there to be shy about? What's the worst that can come from introducing yourself to people and speaking your mind a conversation?

Ouch
Reply 7
Original post by RoshniDiya
Ouch

What I do? I was holding back cause she's shy :angel:
Reply 8
Original post by lalala1
well, im a girl and im 17, at college doing a levels. i also have a part-time job and planning on going to uni next september.
but, i really scared of not making friends at uni, becos i am realllyyy shy when i meet new people and it takes me long to eventually open up and be ME!
cos although people think im quiet/shy i do actually have a loud, funny side to me, but only my close friends see that.

also, i find it hard to talk in big group situations. for example, if im with my best friend i will talk to her like normal and not be shy or quiet etc. but when lots of other people come along i just go soooo quiet. im also really shy around boys that i like lol :colondollar:

and when i start uni, i really want to be more confident, so that people dont think im quiet and boring becos (not to be big headed) i think that i am fun to be around.

anyone got any advice and tips on making conversation with new people and how to become more confident.

you're making too much of a fuss about it, people aren't going to be harsh to you (unless they are nobs), so there isn't anything to worry about.

you say you're funny around your close friends, do you remember how you met them?

hope this helps :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by lalala1

What you need to learn is to be you, whether you're in your 'comfort zone' or not, that way, you can forge your own, wherever you are. This is a lesson that took me years to learn. The same is true about the boys you like - if you're shy around them, you'll just be a quiet female nobody that people might be uncomfortable approaching, but if you're yourself all the time, you might find yourself with admirers :wink:

As for talking to boys in general... well, I don't know. Be interesting. Yes, you might put some boys off, but if you're interesting and can hold a stimulating conversation, you may well enter into relationships with boys who are worth knowing. And even if you don't, a stimulating conversation is always worth having!

Other than that, I can't really give you much more advice about how to be around boys, because I'm still quite shy around girls myself. Put me in a room with a girl I like, and I turn into a stammering idiot, even though I've learned to be far more confident around people than I was a couple of years ago - to the point of being described as being extroverted, even though I'm not, really.

Anyway, good luck.

PS: also, as Converse said, shy girls are cute.
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm abit like you, except I'm a boy but I've learnt to open up and start conversations and introduce myself to people. It really isn't that difficult you just have to remember they aren't better than you they don't not have a weaker side and you just got to be yourself y'know, take an interest in talking to people whether it's about the weather or books or movies. Ultimately you don't have anything to lose by talking and taking an interest in people so try it.
Original post by Yawn11
What I do? I was holding back cause she's shy :angel:

Oh my :ashamed2: I don't like the way people perceive shy people. If shyness was something i could easily change about myself, i would!
Reply 12
thankyou everyone :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by RoshniDiya
Oh my :ashamed2: I don't like the way people perceive shy people. If shyness was something i could easily change about myself, i would!

Soz lol. It get's easier, just have to forcibly put yourself out there :dontknow:

Like if I'm nervous/afraid to do something, I use that to motivate me to do it. Cause life's too short to worry about such trivial stuff that you might look back on regret having not done.

"Biggest risk in life is not taking any". <- I live by that.
Reply 14
Original post by lalala1

I started uni this year and felt the same way; its always taken me awhile to get confident enough with a new group of people to be myself.

I know its said a lot but everyone really is in the same boat and that helps. A LOT. At the end of the first week I was sat in our kitchen with some of my flatmates, all of whom said they felt shy and had worried they wouldn't make friends.

I guess the best thing to do is not focus on the fact that they are 'new people' and realise they're probably a bit shy as well.
Reply 15
Original post by Tootles
What you need to learn is to be you, whether you're in your 'comfort zone' or not, that way, you can forge your own, wherever you are. This is a lesson that took me years to learn. The same is true about the boys you like - if you're shy around them, you'll just be a quiet female nobody that people might be uncomfortable approaching, but if you're yourself all the time, you might find yourself with admirers :wink:

As for talking to boys in general... well, I don't know. Be interesting. Yes, you might put some boys off, but if you're interesting and can hold a stimulating conversation, you may well enter into relationships with boys who are worth knowing. And even if you don't, a stimulating conversation is always worth having!

Other than that, I can't really give you much more advice about how to be around boys, because I'm still quite shy around girls myself. Put me in a room with a girl I like, and I turn into a stammering idiot, even though I've learned to be far more confident around people than I was a couple of years ago - to the point of being described as being extroverted, even though I'm not, really.

Anyway, good luck.

PS: also, as Converse said, shy girls are cute.

thanks for advice :smile:

and i really dont understand how shy girls are cute? lol
Reply 16
Original post by lalala1
thanks for advice :smile:

and i really dont understand how shy girls are cute? lol

I don't know what makes shy girls cute, really... maybe that a relationship (I only know about friendly relationships though) with a shy girl seems more sincere and more personal.
Reply 17
Just be yourself, don't try to change.
Original post by lalala1

That's kinda like me too. But I am a boy and I am interested in Girls.

Just be yourself try and imagine yourself rambling on at an object or yourself DO NOT think like you are speaking to an actual live person. It will quell your anxiety
Reply 19
Hey everyone is shy on the first day at uni, i was as silent as a deaf bat.
not sure that last bit makes sense but everyone is a little bit shy, I still am to be honest, and i recently became single so im obviously going to be quiet ('specially since my ex has a new boyfriend..prick) :frown:
have to find meself a girl now.

just go to clubs now and again, meet new people, have a quiet drink with them down the pub, and you will make lots of friends :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending