The Student Room Group

40-60 minutes per day at the gym

what do you reckon? Reasonable? Sustainable? A little too much? Not enough?

I've done 3 days so far......I'm aching like a bastard but I've got no intentions of stopping. I'm quite enjoying going.

I just wonder if I'm kidding myself, and if my good intentions are likely to falter over time.

Also am I doing enough?

I do about 10 minutes on the cross-trainer, followed by going on all the weight machines doing 2 sets of 12 on each machine (as instructed during my induction), and then around 5-10 minutes on the exercise bike and 10 minutes on the treadmill (briskly walking....I'm not fit enough to run just yet!)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Take rest days.
Original post by Planto
Take rest days.

This.

Less is more. Your body needs to recover.
Original post by Planto
Take rest days.

how many?
Reply 4
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
how many?

At least one for every day in the gym. It will be more sustainable and it will lead to better performance when you're working out. Overtraining is an easy mistake to make and an easier mistake to continue to make, but you're better off increasing the intensity and making sure you have adequate rest.
Original post by Planto
At least one for every day in the gym. It will be more sustainable and it will lead to better performance when you're working out. Overtraining is an easy mistake to make and an easier mistake to continue to make, but you're better off increasing the intensity and making sure you have adequate rest.

wow really? that many? I was expecting you to tell me to rest on Sundays or something! So you suggest I should what....alternate days then?
For weight training you need rest days, for light cardio you don't. If you are aiming to lose weight there is no issue with going to the gym everyday as long as you don't push yourself overly hard.
Original post by Planto

Srsly? So like going every other day would suffice as opposed to, say, every weekday and taking weekends off?
Original post by James Gregory
For weight training you need rest days, for light cardio you don't. If you are aiming to lose weight there is no issue with going to the gym everyday as long as you don't push yourself overly hard.

Well I'm doing weight training because, it was in my induction and they said it's not just for body building, it can be used for losing weight also.

My goal is to lose weight not turn into female hulk hogan lol
Reply 9
wow really? that many? I was expecting you to tell me to rest on Sundays or something! So you suggest I should what....alternate days then?

Clearly there are no hard and fast rules for these things but a full-on training session every day will quickly lead to exhaustion. You're better off training every other day, perhaps have a light jog or swim on off-days. The intensity of the workout is more of an issue than the time you spend in the gym. Your routine sounds like it's pretty intense; a 48 hour rest period is generally considered wise for that kind of training.

Also, don't worry about the aching. This kind of aching (delayed onset muscle soreness or "DOMS") is a phenomenon that occurs after unfamiliar exercise and generally fades quite quickly once you start doing things regularly.

It's easy to overtrain without realising it, which will demotivate you and make you perform poorly when you're in the gym, which can quite easily fool you into thinking you're not training hard enough.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
IDK about weight lifting(I find the atmosphere in the weight room waaaay too masculine...) but I go 5 days a week for cardio for on average 60 minutes(sometimes more sometimes less). It is sustainable, I've been doing it since September, but it takes a while for the aching to go. It was probably after a month and a half of doing this where I felt fine. Though if I have a break for a week(say 'cause I'm ill[which has happened once]), then the pain will come back.
EMZ=]
Original post by Planto
Clearly there are no hard and fast rules for these things but a full-on training session every day will quickly lead to exhaustion. You're better off training every other day, perhaps have a light jog or swim on off-days. The intensity of the workout is more of an issue than the time you spend in the gym. Your routine sounds like it's pretty intense; a 48 hour rest period is generally considered wise for that kind of training.

Also, don't worry about the aching. This kind of aching (delayed onset muscle soreness or "DOMS") is a phenomenon that occurs after unfamiliar exercise and generally fades quite quickly once you start doing things regularly.

It's easy to overtrain without realising it, which will demotivate you and make you perform poorly when you're in the gym, which can quite easily fool you into thinking you're not training hard enough.

that does make sense. I guess I was probably exaggerating a tad when I say I go on ALL the machines. I go on :

leg press
chest press
shoulder press
arm curl
upper back
lower back
leg extension
the other leg one I forget the name of it (opposite to leg extension)

and I think there's about 1 or 2 more I use also but I can't remember what they're called.

I've not been going on the glute machine, or abdomen ones, because I wasn't shown them in my induction. (And besides I'm supposed to stay away from abdomen ones apparently because I have diastasis recti and extreme abdominal exercises can cause a hiatus hernia so they say).
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
Srsly? So like going every other day would suffice as opposed to, say, every weekday and taking weekends off?

Yes - as long as you're training properly, work harder on the days that you do go and nail your diet.
Original post by ch0c0h01ic
Yes - as long as you're training properly, work harder on the days that you do go and nail your diet.

Hi Choc. :love:
that does make sense. I guess I was probably exaggerating a tad when I say I go on ALL the machines. I go on :

leg press
chest press
shoulder press
arm curl
upper back
lower back
leg extension
the other leg one I forget the name of it (opposite to leg extension)

and I think there's about 1 or 2 more I use also but I can't remember what they're called.

I've not been going on the glute machine, or abdomen ones, because I wasn't shown them in my induction. (And besides I'm supposed to stay away from abdomen ones apparently because I have diastasis recti and extreme abdominal exercises can cause a hiatus hernia so they say).

If you have access to free weights, start doing exercises like squats, deadlifts, pressing etc and ditch the machines. Free weights more closely correlate to real life movements and work things like stabilizer muscles which machines tend not to.
Dump the weight machines for free weights if possible. Then do the main compound lifts like Deadlifts, Squats, Bent over rows, Military presses, Benches.

What's your targets? Gain muscle? Lose fat?

When weight lifting at the gym, the amount of weight you lift, is just as important as how you recover. At the gym, your not building your muscles up, your breaking them down, then after the gym, they recover, if you give them the right foods they can recover bigger and better.

If your doing light cardio, then to be honest, only one rest day a week is sufficient, because your not really pushing your body.

But, if your doing either heavy heavy cardio, or weight lifting, you need more time. I only go to the gym to weightlift three times a week, and then do 2 light cardio sessions a week, whether that be walking for an hour, or half an hour cycle.

Recovery is vital, but more importantly, what are your goals? If your just going to the gym with no ideas of what you want to do, then you'll really get nowhere.
Original post by uktotalgamer
Dump the weight machines for free weights if possible. Then do the main compound lifts like Deadlifts, Squats, Bent over rows, Military presses, Benches.

What's your targets? Gain muscle? Lose fat?

When weight lifting at the gym, the amount of weight you lift, is just as important as how you recover. At the gym, your not building your muscles up, your breaking them down, then after the gym, they recover, if you give them the right foods they can recover bigger and better.

If your doing light cardio, then to be honest, only one rest day a week is sufficient, because your not really pushing your body.

But, if your doing either heavy heavy cardio, or weight lifting, you need more time. I only go to the gym to weightlift three times a week, and then do 2 light cardio sessions a week, whether that be walking for an hour, or half an hour cycle.

Recovery is vital, but more importantly, what are your goals? If your just going to the gym with no ideas of what you want to do, then you'll really get nowhere.

I said earlier in the thread - I'm not really interested in turning into a female hulk hogan. I have about 2 and a half stone to lose, and I'd rather be firm than flabby, but I don't want to be muscly, I don't think bulging muscles on a female are particularly attractive.
Reply 17
To lose weight you don't need to exercise whatsoever, everyday can be a rest day and it can be 100% diet.
If you like to eat, you can eat more and do exercise more to balance it.

To get fitter, in the health sense only, you need to do exercise.

If you want to lose weight and get fitter, you need to be at a calorie deficeit and exercise.
Reply 18
Original post by Planto

Don't think there's any danger of the overtraining boogeyman if she's just doing, let's be honest, a MINIMAL amount of steady state cardio and fannying around on the resistance machines for a bit.

OP - your routine's crap and probably is boring to do as well. Up the intensity, lift free weights (you won't turn into a female incredible hulk unless you take steroids). You'll make faster progress in your weight-loss goals.
Reply 19
I said earlier in the thread - I'm not really interested in turning into a female hulk hogan. I have about 2 and a half stone to lose, and I'd rather be firm than flabby, but I don't want to be muscly, I don't think bulging muscles on a female are particularly attractive.

What the poster has suggested will help you become "firm". It is VERY hard to become "a female hulk hogan" so do not worry about the weights turning you into Arnie.

Also do not become fixated with weight loss, I am assuming you are wanting to look "toned" although weight loss will aid this you may gain or plateau with your weight loss due to increases in muscle mass which is not a bad thing for your goals.

Latest