The Student Room Group

Social Scene

Which university has the best social scene - not clubbing but more balls and dinners. Which is more of an elite socialite type university? If you go there do you see a lot of it? Are the universities money orientated?

Thank you. As much detail as possible please.
Reply 1
I heard the 18th century was pretty good if thats your scene
Reply 2
Serious answers please?
Reply 3
Original post by Cobrabite11
Serious answers please?

If you're asking those questions seriously, my serious answer would be that you should seek help.
Reply 4
Original post by BJack
If you're asking those questions seriously, my serious answer would be that you should seek help.

I just want to know because I am definitely not from that sort of background and being taught in a low achieving public school - Oxbridge is made out to be for the rich. Is it like that or not?
I just want to know because I am definitely not from that sort of background and being taught in a low achieving public school - Oxbridge is made out to be for the rich. Is it like that or not?

No. You're listening to the wrong people - why not check out the University at an open day, look at their website, or order a prospectus?
Reply 6
:rolleyes:
Original post by Huw Davies
No. You're listening to the wrong people - why not check out the University at an open day, look at their website, or order a prospectus?

Ok, will do. Thanks.
Reply 7
If you want to go to balls and formal dinners, then you will find plenty to go to. If you don't, nobody will force you.

However, I would really strongly encourage you to be open minded - most May Balls are spectacular and although tickets are expensive (£100-150 generally) it is an experience you should have at least once before you write them off. As for formal dinners, although everyone is dressed up in black tie, unless you're at the Pitt/Bullingdon club, most people are still just normal students under the fancy dress.

Don't worry about your background, the vast majority of people really really won't care.
Oxbridge is made out to be for the rich. Is it like that or not?

Not at all. Of course there are some rich people, but not as much as I'd expected. The majority of the people are pretty normal :wink:

I don't know much about Oxford, but there are loads of formals and balls that you can go to if you are willing to spend the money lol. Some colleges have formals everyday if you really can't get enough of it :P I only go once every 2~4 weeks whereas many others go every week - it really depends on how much of the "social scenes" you want.

And I don't get what you mean by the university being "money orientated". We just pay tuition like any other university student I think!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending