The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Too late to join societies at Kent Uni?

I've been at Kent Uni for a term and I've met no-one. Probably that is largely down to the fact that I haven't left my room in 10 weeks :frown:. I'm generally quite shy and have struggled socially at uni. My housemates are horrid so I've (fingers crossed) secured a move for after the Christmas holidays.

As much as I like to blame others for my issues, I know a large part of it is down to me. In the 12ish weeks with been here I've been out once to the Venue. I did enjoy myself but wished I had friends to go with. I stay in my room all day and I only have two nice housemates but my paranoia prevents me from talking to them. I feel like they'd rather not be talking to me, though they've never actually done anything to suggest this.

I refuse to have another **** term here. Is it too late to join societies, will people think I'm weird for suddenly just turning up at stuff now? The cheerleading society looks tempting but I'm not sure, won't everyone have made friends already?

Scroll to see replies

e-mail them and see what they say :biggrin:

cheerleading = <3
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
its now or never.. the longer you wait, the more you'll question yourself

JUST DO IT !
Nah, just do it. What's the worst that could happen? It's practically a win win situation; you either fit in and have fun- great, or you don't but no one will make fun of you and if they do then they're just a loser. Just don't worry about it! :biggrin:
I know that we've already started our competition routines etc. so can't take any new people on (note, I'm not at UKC but I'm presuming all unis that are competing will be the same) but it's worth asking and maybe you could do games or something? What about gymnastics? Or dance? I know the girl who runs the Dance Society, she's lovely and friendly and I'm absolutely certain there'd be no problems with you joining that.
Nooo, not at all. With some societies it may be best to join after the holiday.

You're more than welcome to join the Armenian Soc :biggrin:
Reply 6
There's the re-freshers fair in Feb and everyone will start joining up to things again.

In caving we had some new people join ther other week so you're definately not alone in wanting to join more stuff to meet people.

Come *caving*

:biggrin:
Reply 7
Never too late! I'm a soc president and we'd love to have new people :smile: (Tea Society). Plus I plan to join two other socs next year.
Reply 8
Lovecraft as in HP? If so, awesome.

As for your Q, never too late to join in, meet some people. It might feel a little weird at first because they will have gelled a bit, but you'll soon fit in.
Reply 9
I shouldn't think so, what with re-freshers fair going on and everything. I'm looking to join a new society or two after christmas because I haven't made any friends, really ><

too nerdy to make friends like a real person ;-;
Reply 10
It;s expected that societies will take an influx of new members after Christmas, due to the re-freshers fayre. You'll just be seen as another new person taking an interest, so you'll be more than welcome.

Certain societies you won't be able to join, such as the Red Cross First Aid Training, as it's an intensive course and obviously you've missed too much.

If you're looking for buddies, I'd recommend the Tea Society (I keep meaning to go).You can go even if you hate tea. :lol:
Reply 11
Original post by Thryn
I shouldn't think so, what with re-freshers fair going on and everything. I'm looking to join a new society or two after christmas because I haven't made any friends, really ><

too nerdy to make friends like a real person ;-;

Me too! I've literally made no friends and I'm moving accommodation in January due to a horrid housemate and will have to get to know a whole bunch of new people, I am so out of my depth with new people. I'm well and truly friendless :s-smilie:.
Reply 12
Original post by fran.ha
Never too late! I'm a soc president and we'd love to have new people :smile: (Tea Society). Plus I plan to join two other socs next year.

I love tea! When and where do you hold your meetings? I must warn you though I am rather painfully shy :frown: and it may take me a while to start talking.
Reply 13
Original post by Captain92
Lovecraft as in HP? If so, awesome.

As for your Q, never too late to join in, meet some people. It might feel a little weird at first because they will have gelled a bit, but you'll soon fit in.

Yes the one and only! Finally someone who's heard of him. Most people I meet assume I mean that I love my craft ( I don't actually have one) and ask me what I do for a living!
Reply 14
Original post by Lovecraft243
I love tea! When and where do you hold your meetings? I must warn you though I am rather painfully shy :frown: and it may take me a while to start talking.

Twice a month, usually a Tuesday, 6.30pm in Eliot.

I've also just noticed that Thryn member up there is my friend and also comes to teasoc :sly:

You don't have to be particularly vocal there are plenty of loud people there to take the focus of you if you'd like it to be that way :p:

We probably won't start up again until post refreshers.
join capoeira and learn how to kick their a$$ and o you could also join ultimate freezby went to one social nice people bit weird though they drank out of other people shoes:confused:
No its not. Theres a refreshers fayre on 7th Feb so you can speak to members/commitee members then. And as Fran said, TeaSoc will welcome members :wink2:

/shameless advertising
Original post by fran.ha
Twice a month, usually a Tuesday, 6.30pm in Eliot.

I've also just noticed that Thryn member up there is my friend and also comes to teasoc :sly:

You don't have to be particularly vocal there are plenty of loud people there to take the focus of you if you'd like it to be that way :p:

We probably won't start up again until post refreshers.

Might have too though but tbh we can keep contact here to sort a meeting, plus can tell Dan to book a room asap :smile:

I'll reply to the FB message soon too, sorry super busy, got a presentation in the morning :frown:
Reply 18
Original post by fran.ha

I will still be coming to society! And you are lovely, worry not :3

[but there's another reason to come to tea society, ms lovecraft, we can drink tea and bond over not making friends very easily :wink:]
Reply 19
Original post by Lovecraft243
Yes the one and only! Finally someone who's heard of him. Most people I meet assume I mean that I love my craft ( I don't actually have one) and ask me what I do for a living!

Pleased to internet-meet-you :shakehand: :biggrin:
More people should hear about Lovecraft...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending