The Student Room Group

When will gays be able to show public affection comfortably?

Scroll to see replies

Now?
never. we should continue hating them and looking down at them then we will have more things to make threads about.
Anyway case closed.
Reply 62
i've only ever lived in london so have no idea what's going on in the rest of the UK, but i think a gay couple could show affection publicly in london. you see a lot of crazy stuff here and nobody even looks. seeing muslim women in burkas covering nothing but their eyes is a daily sighting but people dont really look at them, you get people with crazy hairstyles, crazy fashion sense. ive seen people dresses as darth vader in the tube at 8 in the morning and nobody even looks at them.

i know its not common to see gays publicly showing affection in london, but if some decided to, nothing would happen. i dont think people would even stare at them. and getting beaten up for it is as likely as being beaten up for being black, so not very likely.
Reply 63
Original post by Redkicker
i've only ever lived in london so have no idea what's going on in the rest of the UK, but i think a gay couple could show affection publicly in london. you see a lot of crazy stuff here and nobody even looks. seeing muslim women in burkas covering nothing but their eyes is a daily sighting but people dont really look at them, you get people with crazy hairstyles, crazy fashion sense. ive seen people dresses as darth vader in the tube at 8 in the morning and nobody even looks at them.

i know its not common to see gays publicly showing affection in london, but if some decided to, nothing would happen. i dont think people would even stare at them. and getting beaten up for it is as likely as being beaten up for being black, so not very likely.

In today's news, happened in London:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11990646
Original post by Vozhak
find me a case where a ginger was brutally and horribly killed, beaten ,maimed and executed for being a Ginger and then we can talk, until then gays have the right to be sensitive; read this article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11831556

go tell the families of those dead gay guys who were murdered for being who they are not to be upset, tell the rest of the GLBT community too

some people are so uninformed on the prejudice and discrimination that GLBT people face, many with a constant fear of being killed or beaten...... dumb world

how ironic. Seriously that is a weird statement and needs to be revised.
tbh i hate it when straight couples kiss in public places anyway. just wish they'd get a room. so it's not really discrimination against gays, just people making out in public.
Reply 66
A long, long, long time.....
Reply 67
Original post by Margaret Thatcher
When do you think a gay couple will be able to walk down the majority of streets in Britain, hand-in-hand or showing reasonable displays of affection without looks, comments or even violence?

Just like how a mixed race couple can now do this in the majority of streets.

Holding hands is fine by me, but public places aren't really places for anyone to show that kind of affection, bar hugging, brief kissing, &c. It's not that I'm prudish, it's just that it's private, none of anyone's business except the people doing it.
Reply 68
Original post by Larrabee
In today's news, happened in London:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11990646

i didnt say it wouldnt happen. i said its as likely as being beaten up for being black, so not very likely.
Reply 69
i didnt say it wouldnt happen. i said its as likely as being beaten up for being black, so not very likely.

I could very easily give you many many links to news articles about homophobic and racist violent crimes, but doesn't the fact that when I went looking for one I only had to go to the front page of BBC news say something?

I can't think of any attacks on straight people for being too demonstrably straight.

You speak from the privileged position of not having to worry about this sort of thing. If you're a straight white male you are lucky, be thankful for that, not dismissive of the prejudices and the very real dangers others face.
Reply 70
Quite a while I guess.
Reply 71
I could very easily give you many many links to news articles about homophobic and racist violent crimes, but doesn't the fact that when I went looking for one I only had to go to the front page of BBC news say something?

I can't think of any attacks on straight people for being too demonstrably straight.

You speak from the privileged position of not having to worry about this sort of thing. If you're a straight white male you are lucky, be thankful for that, not dismissive of the prejudices and the very real dangers others face.

i just said it is as likely to be attacked for being gay as being attacked for being black. no it is not common. and no it doesnt say anything that you went on the front page of bbc to see that story because that story has been all over the news.

obviously people are not going to be attacked for being straight because straight people are in the majority, not hard to figure out. and btw you don't know what my sexual orientation or race is, so dont be too quick to pass judgements.
Reply 72
i just said it is as likely to be attacked for being gay as being attacked for being black. no it is not common. and no it doesnt say anything that you went on the front page of bbc to see that story because that story has been all over the news.

obviously people are not going to be attacked for being straight because straight people are in the majority, not hard to figure out. and btw you don't know what my sexual orientation or race is, so dont be too quick to pass judgements.

Ok, out of curiosity, what is your gender, race and sexual orientation?
Never, the day they do I'll have a samurai sword with me.
Reply 74
Ok, out of curiosity, what is your gender, race and sexual orientation?

i'm a male bisexual armenian from jerusalem, palestine who was raised in a religious christian family. lived in london for quite a while.
Reply 75
I think they can do it if they like :smile:, nobody will take notice.
i'm a male bisexual armenian from jerusalem, palestine who was raised in a religious christian family. lived in london for quite a while.

I almost got a heartattack when I saw Palestine, but oh Armenian thats ok.
Reply 77
Aren't they able to do that now? :frown:
I'd probably only stare at a gay couple in the street because I've never really seen one and would be like "awwww"
Reply 78
lesbians, yes please, guys no thank you
Reply 79
Original post by Valh
Originally, he made some crappy gay joke and consequently got loads of negative reputations. So then he edited his post to something more friendly.

:p:

oh..oh right my bad :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending