The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 600
has anyone got university of surrey and sussex offers yet......... what are the grades that they are offering out
Original post by shubham_ag
Yes. I hate to break it to you, maybe you haven't noticed that the subsidized fees ARE NOT applicable to me as an international student. I pay 4 times your fee so I guess your subsidy argument won't hold true here. YOUR government is NOT giving me any subsidy.

And please, spare me the horror. Everyone chooses 5 universities-- 2 difficult, one an average chance, 2 easy chances. If I chose Bristol as one of my choices, and I do not intend to go there in the face of the UCL and Warwick conditional offers that I have, is it my fault? And come on, that place isn't going to go waste now. Some other student will take that. Why do you bring nationalities in an argument based on merit??

Of course you ought to base it on nationality. Think, where are you going to go after you get your degree? Your either going to stay here and become a "british" citizen and provide an oppertunity cost to a potential employer whether to employ you or a genuine british studant. Also, you are still wrong, ALL university fees are subsidised, even international studants, though the subsidy is far less. If i went to the University of Delhi, neither my gov't or your gov't will subsidise my fees, and i find this unfair. I understand that it's a matter of merit rather than money, but if it means that i have to pay, for somone else's fees, and ontop of that - the person takes my uni spot. I'll be double pissed off.
Original post by Rathalos
but at least your parents earn money in the UK... mine dont.. so really the unis want us... because of the money:s-smilie:

AND?!?!

If I could go to Oxford and study economics i wouldn't mind paying £50,000 a year...
Original post by crazycake93
Of course you ought to base it on nationality. Think, where are you going to go after you get your degree? Your either going to stay here and become a "british" citizen and provide an oppertunity cost to a potential employer whether to employ you or a genuine british studant. Also, you are still wrong, ALL university fees are subsidised, even international studants, though the subsidy is far less. If i went to the University of Delhi, neither my gov't or your gov't will subsidise my fees, and i find this unfair. I understand that it's a matter of merit rather than money, but if it means that i have to pay, for somone else's fees, and ontop of that - the person takes my uni spot. I'll be double pissed off.

What?

If I could go to Oxford and study economics i wouldn't mind paying £50,000 a year...

I'm not trying to be excessively mean, but I would probably make you pay £50,000 a year to compensate for your poor and probably contradictory argument above.

If you want the uni spot, work for it and prove that you deserve it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by asdfg0987
What?

LOLAGE :tongue:
Reply 606

It would be nice to master your own language before hating on the internationals :pierre:

Well, I think that subsidy point of yours lacks substantial proof. I don't think my actual cost of just tuition would come out to be more than around 12,000-13,000 pounds per year. And if you come to the University of Delhi, it is exactly the same. I think international tuition fees is around 2-3 times like the UK.
Plus, there are other options mate. I am not coming to destroy your jobs or anything. I would take up a job in some other country if I get a better opportunity there. It is all about merit only in the end. And plus some universities take so many int. students because of the cultural diversity as well. I know it sounds cliched, but we are living in an increasingly globalized world. You should be proud of the fact that your country offers such world class education and you don't have to go anywhere for it. And rather than crib about us taking your jobs, I think people should just try to improve their profiles.

Think about it, why in the world would any employer prefer me over you. doesn't that make the phrase "Taking our jobs" a bit redundant?? :smile:

Cheers mate. I'd hate to take anyone's job or hurt anyone. If I find a very hostile environment in the UK, most probably I won't come in the first place. And the Bristol place that I would be giving up may very well go to a deserving British student. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 608
Original post by Byrney11
has anyone got university of surrey and sussex offers yet......... what are the grades that they are offering out

lets get back on topic here...

yeah, got one from surrey about a month ago. ABB
Reply 609
has anyone had any birmingham offers for L100?
Original post by CNM10

I have not yet, I sent mine on the 14th of October and I think their policy is just to give out offers to Oxbridge standard candidates first and then the others will have have to wait December/ January time.
(edited 13 years ago)
hay guys helppppppppp. obviously i have the same problem with the guy that posted this message,have already apply 4 uni, but am categorised as a oversee student. but obviously i dnt want to pay that much i want to pay the home fee, did all uni s follow this rule. pls help what can i do
Reply 612
Original post by Ramin Gorji
I have not yet, I sent mine on the 14th of October and I think their policy is just to give out offers to Oxbridge standard candidates first and then the others will have have to wait December/ January time.

Ok thanks, yeah I sent my on the 18th of october and have only heard from one of my 5. :frown:
Reply 613
AND?!?!

But the problem really is unis like Oxford wouldnt need rich but crap international students.. they could get rich and good international students with amazing academic grades
Reply 614
Original post by Chelle-belle
I'm not trying to be excessively mean, but I would probably make you pay £50,000 a year to compensate for your poor and probably contradictory argument above.

If you want the uni spot, work for it and prove that you deserve it.

Yes but you see the problem is that we do work hard for it. But it is unfair how for the same course international students have to achieve a much lower grade range than what we have to!

Maybe you need to take another look at both sides of the argument, unless of course your another international student which explains it all...
Reply 615
Original post by Byrney11

Nope, i havent even got the acknowledgement email yet! have you?
Reply 616
Original post by CNM10

There have been a few.
Original post by amans13
Yes but you see the problem is that we do work hard for it. But it is unfair how for the same course international students have to achieve a much lower grade range than what we have to!

Maybe you need to take another look at both sides of the argument, unless of course your another international student which explains it all...

I think you should stop trying to make a valid argument.
Original post by shubham_ag
Yes. I hate to break it to you, maybe you haven't noticed that the subsidized fees ARE NOT applicable to me as an international student. I pay 4 times your fee so I guess your subsidy argument won't hold true here. YOUR government is NOT giving me any subsidy.

And please, spare me the horror. Everyone chooses 5 universities-- 2 difficult, one an average chance, 2 easy chances. If I chose Bristol as one of my choices, and I do not intend to go there in the face of the UCL and Warwick conditional offers that I have, is it my fault? And come on, that place isn't going to go waste now. Some other student will take that. Why do you bring nationalities in an argument based on merit??

The point you make is quite right. Internationals deserve to pay higher because they don't contribute through taxes. What I really wonder is how can EU students pay fees as low as UK students. It seems they have a free meal here.
Original post by amans13
i think everyone on here is lol

Dude, not to offend you, you probably have forgot lots from economics textbooks and from general readings.

First, internationals pay differently. Those coming from outside EU almost pay 4 times than UK stdents and can't apply for a student loan. They are not subsidised. But if you refer to EU but not UK students, then you are right about the point.

Second, no one steals any other's job due to nationality. everyone earns his job and the employers nowadays are most likely to only consider the factors of employability such as talents, skills and etc. If you lost your job due to international competitors, you could only blame yourself, whether you should have been more hardworking? On the other hand, if you were really attractive to employers, you could choose to work overseas for a better paid. As I come from mainland China, I know that here is immensely lack of hotel managers, skilled consultants and solicitors who can deal with international cases. If you could do those jobs, you could probably earn a far higher income in real term in China than in UK plus find a lovely chinese girl (lol).

Our world is now flat, you can bot get challenged by anyone who comes from anywhere and challenge anyone in anywhere, which indeed improves world's productivity and stimulates every economy in general. If you study economics, you should understand the fact and not to be conservative to the trend of globalisation.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending