The Student Room Group

Morally, what sentence do you think the two homophobic attackers deserve?

Article.

This is just hypothetical and attempting to see what justice people individually wish to dispense (in a moral sense). You know the basic facts, they have been found guilty of manslaughter by a jury - what minimum sentence would you impart on these two individually just from the facts and what you consider right?

For me, it would have to be a minimum sentence of 20 years each.
(edited 13 years ago)
A reet good bumming.
Reply 2
6 months behind bars, a further 5 years on licence/parole.

It was a horrendous act of violence and a disgusting act of homophobia, but the intent to kill was not there. I don't think it would be right to deprive the pair of their lives.
Reply 3
hmm one thing from that article, it makes out Alexander only knocked him to the ground and didn't continue the assault? He did this after the scuffle between the girl and the victim where he had her bag...maybe he thought the victim was in fact attacking the girl and was trying to help her?

Also she screams ******* faggot at him, how does she know he's gay?

We don't have all the facts so I'd want to know more details about the attack. For now I might be tempted to give the girl a harsher sentence as it sounds like she stamped on him and kicked him and seemed to enjoy it, where as it doesn't mention Alexander doing anything after coming over and knocking him down.

I guess minimum of 10 for the girl as she has history and alcohol is a poor excuse in my opinion, but a much shorter sentence , maybe a couple of years, for the guy. But like I say I'd want more evidence to see if he was involved in attacking the victim once he was on the floor or not, also I'd like to hear their statements, particularly of Alexander.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
I fking hate homophobic people. Around 5 years?
Original post by Margaret Thatcher
Article.

For me, it would have to be a minimum sentence of 20 years each.

Sounds about right.
Reply 6
The same punishment as every other case like it.

a hate crime is a hate crime regardless of any sexual preference, colour, creed etc and giving different groups different justice just promotes the idea that they are different.

Off a south park ep, but it is quite true.
Reply 7
someone should get drunk, hurl abuse at them, kick and stamp on them and see how they like it..
Reply 8
Why do many people feel that alcohol consumption should mean a shorter sentence?

By this logic, surely loads of people can down a pint before shoplifting and then claim diminshed responsibility?
Things like this make me very sad :frown:
Prison should be used as a means of detention for people that really pose a threat to others, it's ****ing useless for much else in its current state and I really don't see that changing any time soon. Despite their crime I doubt this applies to them.

Worthless ***** like this should be set doing hard, manual labour that actually benefits society for serious amounts of time. Send them to the spice mines of Kessel.
(edited 13 years ago)
It's tricky. On the one hand the intent to kill wasn't there, but on the other the intent to seriously harm was and it's clear that it was a hate crime. To be honest I don't know a great deal about how to appropriately judge sentences, but at the very least I'm glad she was proven guilty, and ultimately she did kill him so I hope she goes to prison for a seriously long time.

Original post by joey11223

Also she screams ******* faggot at him, how does she know he's gay?

I think he was with his husband at the time.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Teveth
6 months behind bars, a further 5 years on licence/parole.

It was a horrendous act of violence and a disgusting act of homophobia, but the intent to kill was not there. I don't think it would be right to deprive the pair of their lives.

Of course the intent was there. Why else would you kick someone repeatedly in the head.

Just put them in a room with the family, and lock the door.
Original post by tieyourmotherdown

I think he was with his husband at the time.

Hmm must have seen them display affection I suppose. Still think the girl, from what that small article describes, deserves a much longer sentence then the male.
Original post by DontBuyTheSun
Of course the intent was there. Why else would you kick someone repeatedly in the head.

but it seems to say only the girl kicked and stamped on him, the man just came knocked him down when the victim grabbed the girls handbag?(in a scuffle which he felt he had to start because she was shouting verbal abuse such as shouting faggots and such at them.)
Reply 15
Manslaughter gets you 10 years I think? I'm pretty sure the motivation for the crime is irrelevant to the sentence, though I might be wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending