The Student Room Group

Maths Uni Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr Dactyl
Doesn't surprise me, they only took two mathmos this year, wouldn't be that much point.

They could get together with other colleges :smile:

Very few of the colleges run these examples classes.

What sort of classes are they? Are they on the example sheets? Does everyone who's in year X go to the same ones? Are they like tutorials where students do a fair bit of the talking? :confused:

Must confess I'm a bit jealous! :colondollar: :smile:
Original post by ambience
What sort of classes are they? Are they on the example sheets? Does everyone who's in year X go to the same ones? Are they like tutorials where students do a fair bit of the talking? :confused:

These questions would be better directed at Glutamic Acid.
why won't the snow just piss off
Reply 5523
Original post by assmaster
why won't the snow just piss off

Maybe you can give us some of yours. There's none where I live at all.
Unbelievable freezing fog in Bath today.

They're small: fourteen students. They're not on material from example sheets (that's what supervisions are for) unless specially requested, but on stuff done in lectures with greater depth, or on stuff which is yet to come up to prepare us. I find the classes work best when they're oriented this way. But sometimes they are just going through exam questions (better nearer exams) or, err, just general stuff.

They're not really like tutorials. But we did have tutorials last year where each week a student would speak about a maths topic somewhat related to a course but beyond its scope. :smile:
I'd wondered what someone meant when she referred to a notation that was used at Trinity :smile:

:confused:
I have a question, take f:R-> R is a real function. If f increases, then f^2 increases? Does this statement hold for the converse and contrapositive?
Reply 5528
Original post by TheNihilist
I have a question, take f:R-> R is a real function. If f increases, then f^2 increases? Does this statement hold for the converse and contrapositive?
Wrong place. Think negative numbers.
I spent Monday evening - Thursday morning asleep in a fever. Yay for flu!
(edited 13 years ago)
I spent Monday evening - Thursday morning asleep in a fever. Yay for flu!

Didn't you get ill last year?
Original post by IrrationalNumber
Didn't you get ill last year?

Yeah, but last year it was like that for 6 weeks or so. I'm mostly better now, though still in bed and Christmas shopping remains seriously undone. But in the time I've spent sleeping, about 70% of the snow seems to have thawed! Yay!

Hmmm, Stats seems insurmountable though, as I have no hope of catching up stats since:
- there are no notes online
- I know only one person who does stats, who isn't texting me back despite pleas
- the lecturer has ignored two emails from me in the last week
All I want for Christmas is a full set of Statistical Concepts II notes...
Reply 5532
Home, sweet home.
Reply 5533
I feel your pain about lack of online lecture notes
Reply 5534
All my lectures this year are recorded :biggrin: - haven't gone to any for 4 weeks or so. Need to do major catching up this holiday.
Our analysis lecturer gave out certificates yesterday for people with the best overall homeworks, best contributions to his analysis blog, best questions in tutorials etc. It was a nice idea, but it was like he had a roll call of the biggest geeks in our year, and they were all so crippingly nerdy that they did not want to walk in front of 200 people to pick up a certificate.
Reply 5536
Our analysis lecturer gave out certificates yesterday for people with the best overall homeworks, best contributions to his analysis blog, best questions in tutorials etc. It was a nice idea, but it was like he had a roll call of the biggest geeks in our year, and they were all so crippingly nerdy that they did not want to walk in front of 200 people to pick up a certificate.

Or maybe they were all the cool kids who didn't want their reputation tainted?
Original post by Swayum
Or maybe they were all the cool kids who didn't want their reputation tainted?

wut? This isn't high school - or, to put it another way, 'don't go tripping 'bout yo rep. you 'down with that blud?'.
Just finished copying out my entire differential equations course notes. Note to self - take notes in lectures this time.

Who here has January exams?
Original post by Meteorshower
Just finished copying out my entire differential equations course notes. Note to self - take notes in lectures this time.

Who here has January exams?

Yeah, same here. Need to make lots of notes from analysis, stats and O.R.

I got 2 test in Jan, one on multivariable maths and the other on Stats and OR.

Quick Reply

Latest