The Student Room Group

Is it possible to self-teach A-level economics?

Ok... so after GCE O-level I really really wanted to do economics but thought that I'll do Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Further Maths and Maths instead.
Economics and Chemistry used to be my favourite subjects and used to get over 95 for those at O-levels. I really regret dropping economics but now I'm in A2.
I'm not sure whether this will break my A-levels into pieces if I take up econ now to sit all 4 units in June 2011 but I really LOVE economics.
I'm planning of doing engineering and just learnt that it's very important in engineering as well.
Has anyone done this before and if so is it advicable to do so?
I'm not going to base my decision depending on what people on TSR say but I would want to weigh up the advantages and disadvantages first.
Thanks for your opinions :smile:
Reply 1
I am selfstudying Economics and it is fine so far :biggrin:
yes it is feasable but, dont you have enough with 5 a-levels?
It is possible and not even particularly difficult. Go for it and do plenty of online test papers just to make sure you are on track and not stampeding in the wrong direction
You have enough A levels to do anything really at a top uni. If you wanted to do it for self satisfaction then I don't see why not, provided it will not mean you get lower grades in your other subjects. Don't do it if you won't have enough time to get a good grade in it and all your other subjects. I personally don't think you will benefit very much (in your Engineering degree) from taking Economics as anything you will need to know will be taught there anyway, and I can't see there being extremely difficult concepts which will require an A level to understand.
Reply 4
Original post by savetheplanet
Ok... so after GCE O-level I really really wanted to do economics but thought that I'll do Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Further Maths and Maths instead.
Economics and Chemistry used to be my favourite subjects and used to get over 95 for those at O-levels. I really regret dropping economics but now I'm in A2.
I'm not sure whether this will break my A-levels into pieces if I take up econ now to sit all 4 units in June 2011 but I really LOVE economics.
I'm planning of doing engineering and just learnt that it's very important in engineering as well.
Has anyone done this before and if so is it advicable to do so?
I'm not going to base my decision depending on what people on TSR say but I would want to weigh up the advantages and disadvantages first.
Thanks for your opinions :smile:

You can self-study A-Level Economics quite easily. I did, and many other people do it on a regular basis.
Reply 5
Yah, try and get hold of mark schemes to learn how to structure the essay questions though.

Quick Reply

Latest