The Student Room Group

Grad Students - How typical is it for your supervisor to re-write your proposal?

I mean edit it so heavily to the point it's re-worded/structured completely differently to what I wrote (although the ideas are pretty much the same). I don't know whether to feel grateful or upset!

Has anyone experienced this before?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by GinaDee
I mean edit it so heavily to the point it's re-worded/structured completely differently to what I wrote (although the ideas are pretty much the same). I don't know whether to feel grateful or upset!

Has anyone experienced this before?

Seems a bit excessive - what were his/her reasons for doing it? It's one thing to nudge your proposal in a certain direction, or help you to clarify your ideas, but rewriting it is odd. You need to find out what was wrong with it in the first place...
Reply 2
Original post by the_alba
Seems a bit excessive - what were his/her reasons for doing it? It's one thing to nudge your proposal in a certain direction, or help you to clarify your ideas, but rewriting it is odd. You need to find out what was wrong with it in the first place...

I think he is a perfectionist ! The thing I'm worried about is that this will become a continual pattern and I will forced to adapt the tone and style of my writing to the extent that I become him!
Reply 3
Original post by GinaDee
I think he is a perfectionist ! The thing I'm worried about is that this will become a continual pattern and I will forced to adapt the tone and style of my writing to the extent that I become him!

It's important to stamp authority onto your own work at the beginning of a supervisory relationship - you don't want to end up having written someone else's thesis. If he's rewritten your words but kept the ideas intact, that would suggest he thinks there's something wrong with your expression. Perhaps you should talk to him about this. Any writing problems need to be smoothed out early, otherwise writing a thesis will be even more difficult than it usually is; and they won't be smoothed out by him rewriting things!

Look at your original version and then at his. What are the differences? Do you feel he has improved it? If so, why? Definitely talk to him about it. He must have given you some idea of why he chose to rewrite it.
Reply 4
Original post by the_alba
It's important to stamp authority onto your own work at the beginning of a supervisory relationship - you don't want to end up having written someone else's thesis. If he's rewritten your words but kept the ideas intact, that would suggest he thinks there's something wrong with your expression. Perhaps you should talk to him about this. Any writing problems need to be smoothed out early, otherwise writing a thesis will be even more difficult than it usually is; and they won't be smoothed out by him rewriting things!

Look at your original version and then at his. What are the differences? Do you feel he has improved it? If so, why? Definitely talk to him about it. He must have given you some idea of why he chose to rewrite it.

He said he wanted to create a clear line of argument... which is fair enough as we only had a week to put things together: perhaps the time constraint contributed to this. I know that he is very proactive and wants to get my work published... but I want it to be MY work! I'm still confused about achieving the right balance.
Reply 5
Stop writing rubbish proposals :h:
Decimating, brandishing and shoving it in another direction during meetings, common. Them actually physically laying their hands on it and altering sentences/argumentative lines.....haven't heard of that one!

It sounds like a personality-difference with your supervisor being quite invested and controlling in your project. Agree with the "stamp of authority" that you have to establish soon in your written work. You can suggest to him that you'd like to have more in-depth verbal conversations on the content of your work and how you should argue it, rather than you writing it and him editing it. Proactively say that you will be sending him follow-ups of drafts, and in your next meetings you'd want them discussed at that meeting. Have it codified in meeting minutes, so that your Director of Research/Graduate coordinator know that's what you wanted from your supervision. You shouldn't have to guess the meaning of his intentions after receiving feedback, he needs to make it explicit with you!
Reply 7
Original post by GinaDee

it looks like im going to have the same problem. same situation.
Reply 8
Gosh, control freak much?
Any teacher worth their salt knows that that is not the way to get people to learn. He should have given you comments and editorial suggestions for you to go away and re-write it. What discipline are you in, by the way? It doesn't sound humanities/social sciences...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending