The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ricky116
To lose weight you don't need to exercise whatsoever, everyday can be a rest day and it can be 100% diet.
If you like to eat, you can eat more and do exercise more to balance it.

To get fitter, in the health sense only, you need to do exercise.

If you want to lose weight and get fitter, you need to be at a calorie deficeit and exercise.

yes I do realise that. I have a balanced diet.
Original post by RawJoh1
Don't think there's any danger of the overtraining boogeyman if she's just doing, let's be honest, a MINIMAL amount of steady state cardio and fannying around on the resistance machines for a bit.

OP - your routine's crap and probably is boring to do as well. Up the intensity, lift free weights (you won't turn into a female incredible hulk unless you take steroids). You'll make faster progress in your weight-loss goals.

My routine isnt boring actually, I rather enjoy it. Yes the cardio is fairly minimal but I can't stay in the gym longer than an hour a day - I've got kids to look after.

Can you (or anybody else who has suggested it) please tell me why free weights is better than weight machines? What's the difference? Other than, as somebody has said, they mimic real life movements. Apart from that, in terms of weight loss, what practical use are they? I don't understand why it would make a difference.
Reply 22
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
yes I do realise that. I have a balanced diet.

Good, I hate to see people killing themselves in the gym not realising that they really don't need to be to achieve the same results. And most of the time because it's crazy hard work, they don't get far!

Good luck :smile:

Can you (or anybody else who has suggested it) please tell me why free weights is better than weight machines? What's the difference? Other than, as somebody has said, they mimic real life movements. Apart from that, in terms of weight loss, what practical use are they? I don't understand why it would make a difference.

Theres 2 reasons that immediately spring to mind.

Free weights utilise the stabiliser muscles that support the main muscle being worked, which aren't utilised when using machines because the machine stabilise it for you. You'll see people moving from machines to free weights and shaking like a leaf not able to hold it steady.
Free weights are generally harder because of this, and the fact that the weight is solely supported by you instead of you and the machine. Again, you'll see people lifting crazy amounts of weight on a machine that they couldn't possibly do without the "support" of the machine.

But don't take my word for it: (note I spent about 10 seconds reading this, first on google) "Research has shown us that free weights promote quicker strength gains and they require more balance and coordination than do the weight machines. Free weights recruit more muscle groups than variable resistance machines, which tend to only isolate specific muscles." - http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/strengthening/a/aa050702a.htm
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 23
My routine isnt boring actually, I rather enjoy it. Yes the cardio is fairly minimal but I can't stay in the gym longer than an hour a day - I've got kids to look after.

Ugh, where do I start free weights are

1. Harder
2. Incorporate stabilisation technique
3. Are less prone to injury
4. Promote natural movement
5. machines provide a false sense of strength gain
6. improve balance

Free weights are so superior to machines its comical
Good, I hate to see people killing themselves in the gym not realising that they really don't need to be to achieve the same results. And most of the time because it's crazy hard work, they don't get far!

Well my husband and I underwent a lifestyle change about 2 months ago in terms of our diet. We realised we really were eating quite dreadfully. It's much better now. Smaller portions, lots of fruit and veg, we entirely cut out fizzy pop from our lives, you get the idea.
I mean, we have the odd treat, but it's an ODD treat as opposed to daily treats! If you see what I mean.

So yeh, my food regime is reasonably on track.

I lost 10lbs alone by changing my eating habits, but I more or less hit a plateau after that, and combined with my husband being advised to do exercising to lose as much weight as possible before having an operation in May, well we bit the bullet and joined the gym.
Reply 25

this is one of the most retarded posts I have seen on here
Original post by Bishamon

1. Harder
6. improve balance

fair enough. I wouldn't really know what to do with free weights though - what moves do you do other than just going up and down like this :

(I'm a weight novice, I know it might sound like a stupid question)
Reply 27
fair enough. I wouldn't really know what to do with free weights though - what moves do you do other than just going up and down like this :

(I'm a weight novice, I know it might sound like a stupid question)

try a workout called "starting strength". Most things a novice needs to learn about basic weight training can found within
Reply 28
this is one of the most retarded posts I have seen on here

Why so?
thank you everyone for your advice.

I shall definitely look into free weights, and think about taking rest days (though I kinda feel like I'm slacking just by thinking about it lol).

Cheers everyone.
Reply 30
Why so?

Anyone can lose weight without exercising. However exercising and losing weight is monumentally superior. If you take two females. One who has lost weight and lifted and one who has simply starved herself, the former will always look better. I credit those who exert themselves with physical activity, no matter their shape. At least they are actively trying to better themselves.
Reply 31
I don't bother with a gym membership, I have a really good dumbell set and then I can go for a run. Amazingly people managed to keep fit before gyms with these crazy things called parks, where you can run around, or even streets. Crazy I know but it might just work...
Original post by Huskaris
I don't bother with a gym membership, I have a really good dumbell set and then I can go for a run. Amazingly people managed to keep fit before gyms with these crazy things called parks, where you can run around, or even streets. Crazy I know but it might just work...

I know I'd not do any exercising if I don't have a physical dedicated exercising place to go to. Going for a run - not a chance. I can't run haha. Even going for a walk, I'd end up procrastinating and putting off and thinking "well it's too cold right now, I'll go tomorrow".

Besides, I'm signed up for a year now. Too late to back out haha.
I said earlier in the thread - I'm not really interested in turning into a female hulk hogan. I have about 2 and a half stone to lose, and I'd rather be firm than flabby, but I don't want to be muscly, I don't think bulging muscles on a female are particularly attractive.

I wasn't suggesting become a female hulk hogan... However, everyone has some muscle mass base... It's no use just looking to lose fat, and doing tons and tons of cardio. Yes, you'll lose fat, granted, you will. But you'll lose most of your base muscle mass, and end up significantly underweight, but still frumpy. Why do all girls think that keeping a muscle mass base, makes them look like hulk hogan? Ludicrous.
By the way. You should really listen to Bish. He da man!

1. Harder
6. improve balance

Original post by uktotalgamer
I wasn't suggesting become a female hulk hogan... However, everyone has some muscle mass base... It's no use just looking to lose fat, and doing tons and tons of cardio. Yes, you'll lose fat, granted, you will. But you'll lose most of your base muscle mass, and end up significantly underweight, but still frumpy. Why do all girls think that keeping a muscle mass base, makes them look like hulk hogan? Ludicrous.

I was responding to you asking what my goals are.
so I said what I would like to achieve, and what I would NOT like to achieve.
I was responding to you asking what my goals are.
so I said what I would like to achieve, and what I would NOT like to achieve.

And to achieve that, for the most beneficial results, use free weights. 3 days Cardio, 2 days weights. Never do both on the same day. Eat about 1500 calories. Get plenty of sleep. When using the free weights, do things like Squats, Deadlifts, Bench pressing, Military presses, Bent over rows. All the compound stuff. Then work in some ab stuff from time to time.
Original post by uktotalgamer
Get plenty of sleep.

Does 5 hours a night, in bits, count as plenty of sleep? haha

I have a teething almost-15-month-old son, who co-sleeps for most of the night. So I get kicked, and screamed at a lot.
Does 5 hours a night, in bits, count as plenty of sleep? haha

I have a teething almost-15-month-old son, who co-sleeps for most of the night. So I get kicked, and screamed at a lot.

If that's all thats possible to get it's better than nothing. 8 hours is what I get and I end up feeling quite tired, but it varies from person to person.
Reply 39
I said earlier in the thread - I'm not really interested in turning into a female hulk hogan. I have about 2 and a half stone to lose, and I'd rather be firm than flabby, but I don't want to be muscly, I don't think bulging muscles on a female are particularly attractive.

I just thought I'd reinforce what the others have said, but from a girl point of view. I started doing freeweights about 4 months ago, and it's honestly the best thing I've ever done.
I feel healthier and fitter, and I have been eating a LOT more than I've ever eaten before and maintaining my weight because I burn so many calories with 4 weight sessions a week. Obv you'll be eating at a calorie deficit because you want to lose.

Also definitely don't look like a female hulk hogan! To do that you have to eat ****LOADS and take steroids and train a LOT. A lot more than most normal people have time for.
The other really good thing about freeweights is that usually the racks are available, unlike the machines which have loads of queues!

Latest