The Student Room Group

Is History and Politics a "mickey mouse" degree?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by yahyahyahs
No way! History is one of the hardest degrees out there and Politics is deemed respectable. If it was a Mickey Mouse degree, then why is Oxford offering it for dual honours?

Elitists love it. Only a chav would look down upon H&P degree or degrees in general! anything educational/requiring hard work*

:colondollar:
Reply 21
Original post by Captain92
I've applied for History and Politics, and I'm not going to change my mind about it, but I was just wondering what you lot think.
There are a lot of people who talk about "mickey mouse" degrees, and I've heard Politics said to be one by a couple of people on these forums. People are often quick to mention Medicine, other sciences, Maths and Nursing as "good degrees" to do, but few people talk about English, History etc. as much.
Your thoughts?

Not at all. It's an academically valid and rigourous degree. It not directly leading to a career doesn't make it more 'Mickey Mouse', if anything a vocational degree has less business being taught in a university than a Humanities degree.
Reply 22
History is a demanding subject, and employers know this it shows so many skills and although it is safer to study something vocational like medicine, its not a good idea because its not something you like and wont be happy.

i dont think it is a micky mouse degree but it can be an unwise choice if;

you arent doing well in these subjects and wouldnt like them at university

the quality of teaching at your chosen university is crap

when considering careers, you study at a university that people and therefore employers are likely to think isnt a great university. There are hundreds of history degrees out there and they probably are equally rigorous but when a degree from annoyamous middle of nowhere university is weighed up against a history degree from oxford its obvious which will be more appealing.

A few people in my history a level class have applied but they only considered some of the best universities in the UK to study it because they feel the with an arts degree it helps to have it from a well respected institution. They intend to go into a range of careers from teaching, journalism, to working in government etc and say from their research they have found hundreds of interesting niches to go into afterwards.

I do not however know about politics ive heard some people refer to it as micky mouse but combined with history I think that it will look really attractive to employers.
Original post by awais590
:colondollar:

Damn, I have run out of positive rep!
Reply 24
Original post by DaveSmith99
Only people who are doing maths/physics and like to look down on anyone not doing maths/physics would say they are.

But I enjoy both maths and physics and I certainly never look down on people interested in history and politics.

Hey I do Music a level and most people are quick to dismiss that when it is a respected subject!
Reply 25
Original post by phill232
History is a demanding subject, and employers know this it shows so many skills and although it is safer to study something vocational like medicine, its not a good idea because its not something you like and wont be happy.

i dont think it is a micky mouse degree but it can be an unwise choice if;

you arent doing well in these subjects and wouldnt like them at university

the quality of teaching at your chosen university is crap

when considering careers, you study at a university that people and therefore employers are likely to think isnt a great university. There are hundreds of history degrees out there and they probably are equally rigorous but when a degree from annoyamous middle of nowhere university is weighed up against a history degree from oxford its obvious which will be more appealing.

A few people in my history a level class have applied but they only considered some of the best universities in the UK to study it because they feel the with an arts degree it helps to have it from a well respected institution. They intend to go into a range of careers from teaching, journalism, to working in government etc and say from their research they have found hundreds of interesting niches to go into afterwards.

I do not however know about politics ive heard some people refer to it as micky mouse but combined with history I think that it will look really attractive to employers.

Well I love both History and Politics, my top choice uni is Birmingham (even though it's the only uni I haven't yet received an offer from :colondollar:) and I'm predicted AAA, so I'm not worried on those counts.
I was just curious as to how people perceive these degrees in a wider context. The only real advice that I get is from parents or teachers, and they are automatically likely to sugar-coat things for me.
All the responses here so far have been positive so that's helpful :smile:
Thanks for your reply! :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26
Never heard of history or politics as being a soft option :lolwut:
I can imagine in 10 years time when anything other than a science degree will be seen as a waste of time :rolleyes:
Reply 27
Well I love both History and Politics, my top choice uni is Birmingham (even though it's the only uni I haven't yet received an offer from :colondollar:) and I'm predicted AAA, so I'm not worried on those counts.
I was just curious as to how people perceive these degrees in a wider context. The only real advice that I get is from parents or teachers, and they are automatically likely to sugar-coat things for me.
All the responses here so far have been positive so that's helpful :smile:
Thanks for your reply! :smile:

University of Birmingham is a great university and most degrees from there would be very competitive good luck and im sure youll get an offer. I think that history has been devalued because it is a degree in every university and some of them have very low grade requirements people with Cs or even Ds in the subject decide to study it only because itll get them to uni aka partyville and this irritates me, people think all arts degrees are useless and to some extent some are but thats only because they are too specific and a history graduate can do the same job as a journalism, media studies, film studies or x factor studies graduate. I know someone who is studying obscure alevels sitting on crap grades and yet has decided to apply to history because it has no specific subject requirements and low grades BCC knowing rightly he dosent like school and wont even try (his own self admission).
Reply 28
Original post by RamocitoMorales
:lolwut:

you got a problem with nursing, bro? :confused:
I've applied for History and Politics, and I'm not going to change my mind about it, but I was just wondering what you lot think.
There are a lot of people who talk about "mickey mouse" degrees, and I've heard Politics said to be one by a couple of people on these forums. People are often quick to mention Medicine, other sciences, Maths and Nursing as "good degrees" to do, but few people talk about English, History etc. as much.
Your thoughts?

I've always had huge respect for anyone who does a History and Politics degree- namely because politics isn't really my forte, and History A-level is challenging enough for me! I don't know why anybody would look down on a H&P degree; don't let anyone tell you it's a 'mickey mouse degree' because it clearly isn't, both subjects are respected fields and can lead to so many different and successful careers. Good luck :smile:
Reply 30
I think this thread has established that basically nobody thinks History or Politics are 'mickey mouse' degrees, and that the OP probably has been fooled by a troll who was having someone on.
Reply 31
What about Politics and Sociology? Is that judged as a mickey mouse subject?
Reply 32
Not at all - both are well respected.
Reply 33
Original post by asdfg0987
No. And who cares, most people here are nerds. (bet I'll get quoted on this :rolleyes:)

The two people who negged you are nerds
Definitely not, History is frigging difficult and Politics (<3) is just plain awesome. To be honest I'd go as far as saying joint honours in these two is one of the least mickey mouse of all Arts/Humanities degrees. Truefax
Reply 35
Original post by bramz19
Ridiculous. People talk about Politics as a 'soft' subject at A-Level, and even then it is the most respectable 'soft' subject by far. Politics at university is very respectable, History is one of the most respected degrees out there. History and Politics is a proper and an indisputably 'good' degree, and anyone who says otherwise is in need of help or need to duck back to whichever bridge they reside underneath.

Good post, funny how to never said how employable they are, kudos don't pay the mortage repayments.
Opinions on Politics and Philosophy?

My Dad just employed someone with a 2.1 in it from Nottingham straight on 30k, so I don't think it is at all.
Definitely not. History is a traditional and one of the most academic courses at university. Politics is respectable as well.
Reply 38
Original post by Blueflare
No, ffs.

People who think Politics is Mickey Mouse blatantly know nothing about what the course involves. And History? :lolwut: Not Mickey Mouse at all.

Agreed! Politics is tough and it's not like the A level is any real prep for the course. If I hadn't done A-level history I'd have been lost as it taught me so much more about essays and writing and arguing.

OP it's a noble degree :smile:
Original post by RamocitoMorales
:lolwut:

Spoiler

whats wrong with nursing, they are needed as much as doctors, and its becoming an all graduate proffession... and from what people have told me its a very challenging and respected degree :redface: partly why I want to do it there's more job security than other careers and a whole host of different things you can do with it.. and nursing has become very technical and academic im guessing your one of the people that think nurses are the people who "clean doctors brows" ? :P

oh and op history and politics is a very respected degree! :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending