The Student Room Group

Higher modern studies help

Ok I've taken higher modern studies and am in S5. The main problem I have is examples within essays. I am totally clueless of how you can have examples for every single point! I really really need an A n so far am only able to achieve 10/15 which is a B+. please help me - what examples can I use?
I'm doing
south Africa
USA
Wealth n health
electoral systems, voting and voting attitudes
decision making in central gov

Got prelims soon so please reply quickly. A few pointers will be really appreciated!
Reply 1
Original post by examination
Ok I've taken higher modern studies and am in S5. The main problem I have is examples within essays. I am totally clueless of how you can have examples for every single point! I really really need an A n so far am only able to achieve 10/15 which is a B+. please help me - what examples can I use?
I'm doing
south Africa
USA
Wealth n health
electoral systems, voting and voting attitudes
decision making in central gov

Got prelims soon so please reply quickly. A few pointers will be really appreciated!

I have a really good Modern Studies teacher who has a website full of examples to use. I will send you a link, hopefully it will help you.
Okay, well when you do an essay, our teacher says you have to use SEEC:

S----- this stands for STATEMENT. Make a statement at the very start of your paragraph. Here is an example: In the USA, many inequalities exist, and Blacks are the worst hit.

E----- this stands for EXPLANATION. explain what you have just said.

E---- This is EVIDENCE. This is where you introduce a statistic.

C---- Do a sub conclusion linking to the question you were given.

Here is a rough example of a paragraph on the president's powers essay:

S: As president, one of most crucial roles he must undertake is that of Chief of the Armed forces.
E: The president manages both the placement and quantity of troops in war.

E:By August 2010, Obama reduced the number of troops in Iraq to 50,000 from 140,000.

C: This highlights his control, especially since he had the power to overrule and ignore the generals.

Hope i helped somewhat :*
Reply 3
thank you both! It really helps! :biggrin:
Reply 4
There are millions of examples you can use all over the internet. Do a bit of research (ie. go onto BBC news website) and you'll find plenty for each topic, and each sub-topic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending