The Student Room Group

What British people mean when they say "you right?"

I say hello and they say that to me. I don't know if they really mean how I am or if it's just phatic communication. So you, British people in blood, flesh and speaking, what do you think? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I think it means 'are you alright?' :/
Reply 2
It merely means "Are you alright?". I don't know of any other meanings :bebored:

English is a highly diversified language and often the editing out of letters is a common thing for different dialects and locations. This is why english is so hard for foreign people, it is very different spoken to when read and written. It tends to change every so often :colone:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
A drunk contraction of "Are you alright?" to which you reply to with "Yeh" if you aren't an attention seeker.
(edited 13 years ago)
No one's ever said that to me...but I'd imagine they mean "Are you alright?/How are you?" :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Le Masquerador.
I think it means 'are you alright?' :/

I know what it means generally. I asked about if "you right?" had replaced "hello" and "hi" in modern spoken British.
Reply 6
Original post by SoulfulBoy
I know what it means generally. I asked about if "you right?" had replaced "hello" and "hi" in modern spoken British.

No, people still say "hi", "y'alright" is very common though
Reply 7

No, you really did not.

SoulfulBoy
OP title:What British people mean when they say "you right?"

I say hello and they say that to me. I don't know if they really mean how I am or if it's just phatic communication. So you, British people in blood, flesh and speaking, what do you think?

But no, it hasn't. We still say hello. I haven't actually heard anyone say "You right?" More, "all right?" "Fo shizzy?" and my personal favourite "Sup motherf***er?"
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
It's just a common greeting.

I'm not sure about other regions, but here up Manchester when I say 'are you alrite?' I pronounce it literally 'your right'. If I really feel Northern I'll add a 'love' to it.
(edited 13 years ago)
It just means hi, not how are you?
Reply 10
When someone says that to you just say 'alright mate' back..

It hasn't really. I've only really heard it said by teenagers or slightly chavvy people, though obviously saying that doesn't automatically make you a chav. I'd say 'hi' is the most common greeting, round here anyway.

Pull the other one :rolleyes:
I've always been tempted to answer negatively to that, and start going on about how much of a ****ty day i've been having (even if it's trolling) just to see the person's reaction but never did...
Reply 14
Original post by karateworm
Pull it off and crush my rolled eyes :rolleyes:

Hey, is Jesus the one is your picture? I will do what you said. :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
you right pretty much means 'hi, now you start the convo' :P
lol nobody says that round here, though I have heard it before.

Round here it's all "ay up"
I say hello and they say that to me. I don't know if they really mean how I am or if it's just phatic communication. So you, British people in blood, flesh and speaking, what do you think? :smile:

Yeah, it means 'are you alright?'- usually pronounced in a fast manner, so it sounds like 'y'right?' I personally always say 'Hey, y'right?' when I greet my friends etc. :P it's just a British thing!
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
lol nobody says that round here, though I have heard it before.

Round here it's all "ay up"

Aww, are those your children in your sig? They're gorgeous!
Original post by Retrospect
Aww, are those your children in your sig? They're gorgeous!

thank you, yes those are my kids. Trouble 1, trouble 2, and trouble 3 lol.

(just kidding, they're great kids really....most of the time :wink:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending