The Student Room Group

people who argue with you for the sake of trying to look academic?

guys,

do you know any people where if you make a statement, they will argue and argue until they are blue in the face not becauuse they have a valid point they are trying to make, but just purely to try to look academic by creating then winning an argument?

its totally annoying and pointless

its the same type of people who will listen to the teacher in class, then try their hardest to ask the most complex question possible not because they have a question to ask but because they want to show off to everyone how bright they are.

does anyoen else find this totally irritating?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am like this. And, yes, I find it very irritating. :colondollar:
Reply 2
Yup, know plently of 'em.
S'why I try my very hardest to only "argue"/debate with peeps over stuff I really care about. I know I'm unlikely to change their opinions, so I don't waste my breath/ time unless it's something THAT important.
Original post by shinytoy
guys,

do you know any people where if you make a statement, they will argue and argue until they are blue in the face not becauuse they have a valid point they are trying to make, but just purely to try to look academic by creating then winning an argument?

its the same type of people who will listen to the teacher in class, then try their hardest to ask the most complex question possible not because they have a question to ask but because they want to show off to everyone how bright they are.

Yes! It is soooo anoying lol! Even if you make a valid point in response, they have some other reason prepared, even if it is false or totally ridiculous, and still manage to make it seem like they have 'won', or are cleverer than you! lol x
I completely disagree with this thread because I go to university.
I was going to write an informative counterargument to show off my incredible intellect but I think I'll just post a picture of an angry badger.

Reply 6
Original post by IndigoRockGirl
Yes! It is soooo anoying lol! Even if you make a valid point in response, they have some other reason prepared, even if it is false or totally ridiculous, and still manage to make it seem like they have 'won', or are cleverer than you! lol x

hahaha i know a couple of people like this, and it is IMPOSSIBLE to have an intelligent discussion with them because they always try to turn it into a ridiculous debating competition to assert their intellignece. even if it is pointless and trivial like

'i was gonna buy a £3 energy saving buld for our flat but the store was sold out.if we use energy saving lightbulbs in our flat, we will save energy' they will come out with

'actually no, we wont because XYZ blah blah blah tungsten is better for the environment, so no we wont save more energy'

and you say 'yes, but energy saving lightbulbs use less power and therefore save energy hence why they are 'energy saving'

they respond 'well, yes, but in Africa they have the lowest energy consumption in the world and they dont have access to energy saving light bulbs. and in caveman times, they didnt even need electric bills. and you know, power is relative. think of the fossil fuesls being burned. what about the impact of these bulbs on the ecomony, burning fuels creates jobs, and jobs keep people employed which cntributes to the furtherance of society...blah blah blah'

and all the time you were thinking omg its only a £3 light bulb!!!! :angry:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Have you considered the possibility that they are actually more intelligent than you?
Welcome to TSR.
Reply 9
Original post by Blueflare
Have you considered the possibility that they are actually more intelligent than you?

no they really arent. like seiously, why argue a totally unimportant point like my example on a £3 energy saving light bulb? there are some peopel that do this just to create a debate purposefully. i have a 1st class and gold medal for a law degree, so less smart people sometimes do this to me to try to prove a point. it is irritating and pathetic
no they really arent. like seiously, why argue a totally unimportant point like my example on a £3 energy saving light bulb? there are some peopel that do this just to create a debate purposefully. i have a 1st class and gold medal for a law degree, so less smart people sometimes do this to me to try to prove a point. it is irritating and pathetic

Then you tell 'em.
'Come back and argue with me when YOU'VE got a 1st class Law Degree'.
That oughta send 'em packing.
Reply 11
Original post by Circadian_Rhythm
Welcome to TSR.

im not talking abuot tsr, i talking about my flatmate in real life. she is sooo insecure about her intelligence
Reply 12
Life is full of them. No one wants to look stupid.
Reply 13
Original post by Circadian_Rhythm
Welcome to TSR.

Classic.
Reply 14
Pedantary is annoying, I agree.

Don't think about it...
Reply 15
guys,

I advise you to steer well clear of Cambridge my friend. It's full of them.
hahaha i know a couple of people like this, and it is IMPOSSIBLE to have an intelligent discussion with them because they always try to turn it into a ridiculous debating competition to assert their intellignece. even if it is pointless and trivial like

'i was gonna buy a £3 energy saving buld for our flat but the store was sold out.if we use energy saving lightbulbs in our flat, we will save energy' they will come out with

'actually no, we wont because XYZ blah blah blah tungsten is better for the environment, so no we wont save more energy'

and you say 'yes, but energy saving lightbulbs use less power and therefore save energy hence why they are 'energy saving'

they respond 'well, yes, but in Africa they have the lowest energy consumption in the world and they dont have access to energy saving light bulbs. and in caveman times, they didnt even need electric bills. and you know, power is relative. think of the fossil fuesls being burned. what about the impact of these bulbs on the ecomony, burning fuels creates jobs, and jobs keep people employed which cntributes to the furtherance of society...blah blah blah'

and all the time you were thinking omg its only a £3 light bulb!!!! :angry:

£3 for A lightbulb? you're getting ripped off...

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/grocery-categories/Energy_Saving_Lightbulbs_In_Tesco.html

:biggrin:
guys,

Ugh, this is basic level psychology, why you felt the need to make a thread about this I do not know, you are clearly a moron. I totally have a degree in psychology and everything, so don't claim I know nothing about this. People like you are truly the bane of society.

:wink:
Reply 18
Original post by lukas1051
Ugh, this is basic level psychology, why you felt the need to make a thread about this I do not know, you are clearly a moron. I totally have a degree in psychology and everything, so don't claim I know nothing about this. People like you are truly the bane of society.

:wink:

why do they do this?
why do they do this?

Hahaha, I'm only joking with you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending