The Student Room Group

Warwick or Bristol?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DonFahad
Not sure about a humanity, but yes, Further Maths is widely known to be preferred by everyone. It's certainly not a dealbreaker though, and only Cambridge have it as mandatory.

It's not mandatory at Cambridge.
Reply 21
Original post by danny111
It really isn't.

Other (top) unis have this as well.

Edit: accidentally reposted
As somebody mentioned Warwick is part of a select group of "target universities" by the very top IBs in the City and based on course/prospects alone as this is truly the most important factor; you should go for Warwick.

Saying that Bristol is a very good university offering a solid education and good career prospects and probably a better student life by virtue of being based in the city as opposed to the campus structure of Warwick.

But ultimately Warwick is renowned for being on of the top targeted universities by the biggest IBs hence as I said, it really is a no-brainer.
Reply 23
Original post by greebo-man

I've been told that effectively, it is mandatory (apparently their Single Maths - successful applications ratio is very low).
Reply 24
I would say Bristol is going to be better for the student social life / city living.

Warwick is a bus ride from Coventry or Leamington; not really great for nights out or shopping - having said that the campus has everything you would need day to day.

The good thing about Warwick is that whatever degree subject you choose, having Warwick on your C.V will open many doors for you. Warwick has a great rep for almost everything.

Having said that, Bristol is hardly shabby.....
Reply 25
Original post by greebo-man

It's "preferred" and mandatory at some colleges. Given the insane level of competition I'd say "preferred" comes close to mandatory, unless your school doesn't run FM or something like that.
Reply 26
1) Warwick is better for economics
2) You're probably far more likely to get into warwick

However, if nightlife is a big thing for you choose Bristol, it's a bigger and better city than, well... Coventry. However, the Warwick campus is awesome from what I saw on open day, it depends how much you think a big variety of clubs/pubs etc is important.
Original post by Mdawg
It's "preferred" and mandatory at some colleges. Given the insane level of competition I'd say "preferred" comes close to mandatory, unless your school doesn't run FM or something like that.

fair. I couldnt do FM cause I did spanish lol. put that in my saq and hey presto.
Reply 28
Original post by Bakeyy
1) Warwick is better for economics
2) You're probably far more likely to get into warwick

However, if nightlife is a big thing for you choose Bristol, it's a bigger and better city than, well... Coventry. However, the Warwick campus is awesome from what I saw on open day, it depends how much you think a big variety of clubs/pubs etc is important.

I only ask because I have been unfortunate with my application for Oxford. I can either take up my offers from Bristol/Warwick, or take a gap year - reapplying for Oxford/UCL next year. I'm going to travel over to both and make my mind up. But judging for the comments, I'm tilted towards Warwick. Job prospects are incredible - on par with that of Oxford.
I have to make sure that I like the campuses before I decide.

Thanks for the advice!
Reply 29
Original post by danny111
Really?

I have a friend who loves Warwick, which just goes to show uni is what you make of it. The part about the job is true I guess, but as I say below I would still take the one that is more regarded.

The course structure argument is interesting though. What is it that you like more about the Bristol course? (I have not compared the two, will do later)

Prior to university, I’d have definitely chosen Warwick over Bristol due to Warwick’s department being better. Now, a year and a bit on, I’m pretty much a firm believer that atmosphere is far more important.

I’ve also got friends at Warwick, and they absolutely love it there, but in hindsight I know I’d definitely fit in far better at Bristol, and also would enjoy far more the city atmosphere and nightlife there.

In regard to the course, it’s mainly in the first year you get a bit more flexibility and are forced to choose outside modules, and additionally, I think the optional modules in the third year at Bristol are more interesting than those at Warwick which seem far more mainstream.

Obviously though this is all subjective and personal opinion.
Original post by .ACS.
Prior to university, I’d have definitely chosen Warwick over Bristol due to Warwick’s department being better. Now, a year and a bit on, I’m pretty much a firm believer that atmosphere is far more important.

I’ve also got friends at Warwick, and they absolutely love it there, but in hindsight I know I’d definitely fit in far better at Bristol, and also would enjoy far more the city atmosphere and nightlife there.

In regard to the course, it’s mainly in the first year you get a bit more flexibility and are forced to choose outside modules, and additionally, I think the optional modules in the third year at Bristol are more interesting than those at Warwick which seem far more mainstream.

Obviously though this is all subjective and personal opinion.

In some respects I agree with you; university life is all about enjoying the time you spend there as after all unless you do postgraduate study, those days will never come again and university really is an exciting phase in a person's life.

Personally, Exeter/Peninsula was never my first choice for many reasons namely the distance from home and the fact the place isn't quite as exciting as some of the bigger cities. However it was the only place I got an offer from and for Medicine with it being so ridiculously competitive and in reality there being very little difference in the quality of education at UK medical schools and the fact they're all GMC accredited etc. it was a no brainer.

I would say that ultimately I'm here because first and foremost I'm studying to pass my exams/course and then ultimately become a doctor which has always been my goal. Having a great nightlife, social scene comes secondary to that but saying that I do quite a lot in terms of sport, politics, voluntary work on the side so I'd say I've really enjoyed my time here so far. Also with Exeter being a good university and the medical school continually improving in the rankings (which should only ever be taken with a pinch of salt), I'm happy where I am.

Warwick and Bristol are both good universities. But I guess the point I'm trying to make is (in my opinion) you should choose the place which will give you the best education for your chosen field of study and the best future prospects and with regards to Economics/Finance, Warwick has always been one of the major playes and is usually in the "Target University" bracket along with Oxford, Cambridge, UCL and Imperial for the elite Investment Banks and Financial firms.

University life is also very much what you make of it and you only get out of it as much as you put in.

So I would say pick Warwick and don't fear.
Original post by Warrior King
In some respects I agree with you; university life is all about enjoying the time you spend there as after all unless you do postgraduate study, those days will never come again and university really is an exciting phase in a person's life.

Personally, Exeter/Peninsula was never my first choice for many reasons namely the distance from home and the fact the place isn't quite as exciting as some of the bigger cities. However it was the only place I got an offer from and for Medicine with it being so ridiculously competitive and in reality there being very little difference in the quality of education at UK medical schools and the fact they're all GMC accredited etc. it was a no brainer.

I would say that ultimately I'm here because first and foremost I'm studying to pass my exams/course and then ultimately become a doctor which has always been my goal. Having a great nightlife, social scene comes secondary to that but saying that I do quite a lot in terms of sport, politics, voluntary work on the side so I'd say I've really enjoyed my time here so far. Also with Exeter being a good university and the medical school continually improving in the rankings (which should only ever be taken with a pinch of salt), I'm happy where I am.

Warwick and Bristol are both good universities. But I guess the point I'm trying to make is (in my opinion) you should choose the place which will give you the best education for your chosen field of study and the best future prospects and with regards to Economics/Finance, Warwick has always been one of the major playes and is usually in the "Target University" bracket along with Oxford, Cambridge, UCL and Imperial for the elite Investment Banks and Financial firms.

University life is also very much what you make of it and you only get out of it as much as you put in.

So I would say pick Warwick and don't fear.

Imperial doesn't do econ*

Other than that, great speech. :-)
Original post by Glen_Nichols

I think he meant that it's a target uni for the firms. Anyway, I'd choose Warwick.
Original post by Glen_Nichols

Yes I know Imperial doesn't do Economics. The fact that it's called Imperial College of Science, Engineering and Medicine kind of gives that one away :wink:

It is however still targeted by the big IBs as IBs will happily take highly analytical science students for their front offices especially Mathematical boffins but then again I know many a medic who jump ship into IB. Meh.
Reply 34
Original post by anradu
I only ask because I have been unfortunate with my application for Oxford. I can either take up my offers from Bristol/Warwick, or take a gap year - reapplying for Oxford/UCL next year. I'm going to travel over to both and make my mind up. But judging for the comments, I'm tilted towards Warwick. Job prospects are incredible - on par with that of Oxford.
I have to make sure that I like the campuses before I decide.

Thanks for the advice!

:eek:

Job prospect at Warwick is not on par with Oxford!!!

It is not even on par with LSE.
Reply 35
Original post by LutherVan
:eek:

Job prospect at Warwick is not on par with Oxford!!!

It is not even on par with LSE.

He may have implied this (WarriorK's words from above):

"Warwick has always been one of the major playes and is usually in the "Target University" bracket along with Oxford, Cambridge, UCL and Imperial for the elite Investment Banks and Financial firms."

E.g. at UBS last summer:

Oxford 21
Warwick 21
LSE 20
Cambridge 19
Imperial 18

And the UBS executive director said:

"As a leading global investment bank, recruiting the best graduates is critical for our continued success. We are very excited about our strong relationship with the University of Warwick, which is one of our key target universities in Europe. In 2010 our Investment Banking Department recruited more graduates from the University of Warwick than from any other university in the UK."

Meaning that prospects are similar, provided you interview well.. So unlike sub-standard institutions such as the Polytechnic on the Strand, where you can't even make it through the bank door before they call security and kick you out
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 36
Personally I would go with Warwick.
Reply 37
Original post by Focus08
He may have implied this (WarriorK's words from above):

"Warwick has always been one of the major playes and is usually in the "Target University" bracket along with Oxford, Cambridge, UCL and Imperial for the elite Investment Banks and Financial firms."

E.g. at UBS last summer:

Oxford 21
Warwick 21
LSE 20
Cambridge 19
Imperial 18

And the UBS executive director said:

"As a leading global investment bank, recruiting the best graduates is critical for our continued success. We are very excited about our strong relationship with the University of Warwick, which is one of our key target universities in Europe. In 2010 our Investment Banking Department recruited more graduates from the University of Warwick than from any other university in the UK."

Meaning that prospects are similar, provided you interview well.. So unlike sub-standard institutions such as the Polytechnic on the Strand, where you can't even make it through the bank door before they call security and kick you out

You must be naive if you think Warwick compares to LSE, talkless of Oxford. :colondollar:

So the hiring of one solitary institution in one solitary year is the basis on which you came to a conclusion that Warwick is on par with Oxford? :rolleyes:

Prospects are similar my backside.

Warwick is not on par with Oxford in overall prospect.

Warwick is not on par with LSE in overall prospect.

Warwick is not on par with Oxford in banking and finance prospect.

Warwick is not on par with LSE in banking and finance prospect.

Warwick is on slightly above UCL in banking and finance prospect.

Oxbridge, LSE and Imperial give the 2 a decent gap, not only in banking and finance prospects, but in overall prospects. Stop dreaming!!! LSE is far better, not to even talk of Oxford.
Reply 38
Original post by LutherVan
You must be naive if you think Warwick compares to LSE, talkless of Oxford. :colondollar:

So the hiring of one solitary institution in one solitary year is the basis on which you came to a conclusion that Warwick is on par with Oxford? :rolleyes:

Prospects are similar my backside.

Warwick is not on par with Oxford in overall prospect.

Warwick is not on par with LSE in overall prospect.

Warwick is not on par with Oxford in banking and finance prospect.

Warwick is not on par with LSE in banking and finance prospect.

Warwick is on slightly above UCL in banking and finance prospect.

Oxbridge, LSE and Imperial give the 2 a decent gap, not only in banking and finance prospects, but in overall prospects. Stop dreaming!!! LSE is far better, not to even talk of Oxford.

Not according to the Financial Times, which divides it in an inner and outer circle of recruitment, where Oxbridge, Imperial constitute the former and LSE/Warwick/UCL the outer.. But also looking at all statistics, insights posted by people on WSO and IBC, looking at where banks organise networking events, sponsorships in uni sports teams, etc etc etc indicate clearly that the top 6 are the only real targets, where your passion and the way you interview are, amongst others, the deciding factors. In terms of maths, COWI is the elite group, but there is debate about the order of OWI, but in reality the differences are small, and people chose differently because of various factors, but all are targeted. Now stop trolling about stuff you don't have a clue about.

What course are you doing in Mordor btw?
Reply 39
Original post by Focus08
Not according to the Financial Times, which divides it in an inner and outer circle of recruitment, where Oxbridge, Imperial constitute the former and LSE/Warwick/UCL the outer.. But also looking at all statistics, insights posted by people on WSO and IBC, looking at where banks organise networking events, sponsorships in uni sports teams, etc etc etc indicate clearly that the top 6 are the only real targets, where your passion and the way you interview are, amongst others, the deciding factors. In terms of maths, COWI is the elite group, but there is debate about the order of OWI, but in reality the differences are small, and people chose differently because of various factors, but all are targeted. Now stop trolling about stuff you don't have a clue about.

What course are you doing in Mordor btw?

Stop being silly!!!

Is that how poor mental reasoning and calculations are at Poor-man's Imperial?

You do the maths. If 20 students out of 8800 are hired from one university and 21 students out of 21500 are hired at another, which is more popular? Do you want an Imperial guy to answer for you?

Even in the outer circle, there is still a hierarchy, and LSE is the top there. Surely you will not say imperial is on par with Oxbridge because FT says it is in the inner circle?

Even Strand Polytechnic that your insecure self try to put down has a far better reputation and is seen as more prestigious internationally.

Compare Poor-man's Imperial's alumni to LSE alumni and see which is better. Even compare with UCL or Strand Polytechnic's alumni and see which has more prestige internationally. Actually, which top personality has gone to Poor-man's Imperial? No wonder the pauper's endowment that is even lower than Durham's.

So Poor-man's Imperial is not really that good apart for quant stuff that Oxbridge, LSE and Imperial wipes it on the floor in. We should not look at Law or Consulting by the way. :colondollar:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending