The Student Room Group

Are you proud to be English/British?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Time Tourist
At the turn of the last century we ruled the waves one quarter of the world. Now we are ruled by Brussels and can't even fit an aircraft carrier with an aircraft, we have to share with the French.

Indeed. It's disgraceful.
Original post by jaydoh
I know you shouldn't be proud of where you happened to be born, but since there's no changing it you may as well embrace the fact and show some national pride. I don't particularly like the Royals but it's nice to see the show of national pride for royal birthdays, weddings and the likes.

So are you proud to be British?

I answered this thread previously but after just rereading the first post again I have to say, why does the fact that we can't change being british mean we should be proud ?

I am proud on some of the stances Britain/England has taken. During the second world war etc. But I see no reason to be proud of it.

I would hate people to group me with everyone else because I'm British. British people do different things. Some British people change the world for the better and some are the scum of the earth. Should I be proud that I am part of the later ? I am not saying I'm not proud, but I'm not overtly proud about anything.

My history teacher told me the word ''patriotism'' originates from Nazi propoganda and I can see why. I see the concept of it as bull.

I mainly hear this **** on interviews with BNP supporters and that's what really pisses me of.

My mum has traced my family as far back as she possibly can and we have always been in England however I hate the fact that some people try and use being British as it making them somewhat better than people that have moved here. I may be British but if you told me that half of the people living in Britain would not be British anymore but they would be Nobel prize winners, World class doctors or the best research scientists in the world then I would gladly accept that. Too many indiginous British people are an absolute waste of space. As I am sure is the case with many nationalities.

I know the rant in the paragraph above isn't exactly answering your question but I went with it anyway:smile: Slow day at college no homework etc.
Original post by Catch 22
Would you rather Britain forced control over loads of different territories and not allow them freedom to govern and rule then?

They could have been governed fine...by their own people even; all i ask is that they remain in the empire...why do they need independence?
Reply 103
Hello old friend.

What about if I say that I'm proud to be a member of my family and I'm proud of their (and my) roots? I'm proud to belong somewhere and to something that's bigger than I am. That seems a fairly natural feeling. And to say that I'm stupid for feeling that way just seems simply not to have understood what it is to belong somewhere.

Hey, how are you?

The rather childish insults were aimed at the OP who is a well known buffoon. But take tham away and the base of my point still stands. That pride is essentially an assertion of superiority over something else. I take it you are proud of your family because you feel they have perhaps achieved more than many others etc..etc..

If pride is a virtue. Then surely a superior pride is that of individual achievments rather than the achievments of others? By all means be proud of others but like I say in my post, to point at them like the OP and scream superiority is quite contemptible. Given his character he appears more of a leech than a noble patriot. :dontknow:
Reply 104
Original post by SqueakyMoose
I suppose I'm proud to be British :biggrin: I have a lot of foreign friends from all over the world and they seem pretty interested in British life, and they're all proud in themselves to know a Brit :biggrin:

Anglophilia :awesome:.. I'm happy that I live so close to Britain, lol.
Original post by Aeolus
Hey, how are you?

The rather childish insults were aimed at the OP who is a well known buffoon. But take tham away and the base of my point still stands. That pride is essentially an assertion of superiority over something else. I take it you are proud of your family because you feel they have perhaps achieved more than many others etc..etc..

If pride is a virtue. Then surely a superior pride is that of individual achievments rather than the achievments of others? By all means be proud of others but like I say in my post, to point at them like the OP and scream superiority is quite contemptible. Given his character he appears more of a leech than a noble patriot. :dontknow:

Nothing buffoonish about my post pal (but then there never is and it's just hyperbolic bull**** spouted by people that hate on me because our personalities clash (and I use the term "personality" very loosely when refering to you, plus they generally don't agree with my points ( which are perfectlyy well within reason). So maybe it's you that is the buffoon? :dontknow:

As far as people are saying.

Yes we should remember when Britain had a vast empire. Not for any racist connotations, god no, but we should celebrate that we're from here. Seeing as though as I say we can't change it and may as well embrace it. Is it worth embracing? Not recently. To notion of being "British" has negative associations these days. I know the rest of the world hates us. But so what?

And if we shouldn't rejoice in the fact that we're British we should quite frankly count ourselves lucky that we're not from a Third World country.... as someone said. That may sound terrible on first listen but is it really an outlandish statement??
Not proud. Why would I be proud? But I'm happy to be here and I'd rather live in Britain than in any other country in the world.
Reply 107
Original post by jaydoh
Nothing buffoonish about my post pal (but then there never is and it's just hyperbolic bull**** spouted by people that hate on me because our personalities clash.

Everyone then. :mmm:

As far as people are saying.

Yes we should remember when Britain had a vast empire. Not for any racist connotations, god no, but we should celebrate that we're from here. Seeing as though as I say we can't change it and may as well embrace it. Is it worth embracing? Not recently. To notion of being "British" has negative associations these days. I know the rest of the world hates us. But so what?

What are you talking about? My point was that pride inherently asserts superiority over something else. Employing some Pascalian gambit doesn't negate that, nor does it address my argument.

And if we shouldn't rejoice in the fact that we're British we should quite frankly count ourselves lucky that we're not from a Third World country.

Well, this says it all really. You believe it virtuous to be proud of luck. I think my reply has been validated.
Reply 108
Not really. It's not as if I had a choice anyway tbh.
Original post by TheRevolution
I'm very dissapointed and ashamed at the pathetic way our Empire was thrown away.

The empire was not "thrown away", we had just fought two world wars, and become bankrupt in the process. Plus, the colonies were calling for independence and becoming very hard to govern.
Original post by Aeolus

What are you talking about? My point was that pride inherently asserts superiority over something else. Employing some Pascalian gambit doesn't negate that, nor does it address my argument.

No what are you talking about, apart from trying to blind me with science?
Original post by Aeolus
Hey, how are you?

Well, for example, I know several eastern European who are very proud of their country and their heritage, and why shouldn't they be? It doesn't make them fascists, it's not 'irrational' as some people never tire of telling us, it seems a perfectly natural and healthy pride in who they are and the most rational thing in the world, for a people who had been oppressed and denied their national heritage for so long, and who had to fight to regain it.

Their pride has nothing to do with them thinking they are better than anyone else, it's simply them being proud of who the are as a people, and being willing to defend who and what they are. Total indifference to who you are (or shame for many of our left-liberal friends) doesn't really sound like a recipe for success, or survival.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 112
Original post by TheRevolution
They could have been governed fine...by their own people even; all i ask is that they remain in the empire...why do they need independence?

Independence is freedom and freedom is a human right. I'm British btw.
Original post by S129439
Well for me 'British' conjuors up ideas of the British empire whereas 'English' feels more personal to me and things like white cliffs of Dover and cornwall etc. As well as tea.

Hmm I hadn't thought of that. "British" is a bit Empirical =[ but at the same time I feel more fond of say the BBC and other things which aren't just English than one specific thing in England. But perhaps I'm forgetting some things.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Luceria
Anglophilia :awesome:.. I'm happy that I live so close to Britain, lol.

Ooh, you're right. I do love Anglophilia in foreign people, but at the same time, I prefer Britophilia? =] and Anglophilia is often used to mean that anyways. E.g. you being happy you live near Britain or an american loving BBC's Torchwood and saying they're an anglophile. It basically means Britophile really?
Original post by united.spammers
Not proud. Why would I be proud? But I'm happy to be here and I'd rather live in Britain than in any other country in the world.

Yeah, same really. Except for the weather... Other than the weather I am def glad to be here =] not that other places don't seem awesome too. But not proud especially... I guess I might be proud if someone British did something awesome (which was in some way related to them being British) but... its still not really connected to me...
Reply 116
I am proud, just don't want to live here.
Reply 117
Original post by quixoticduck
Ooh, you're right. I do love Anglophilia in foreign people, but at the same time, I prefer Britophilia? =] and Anglophilia is often used to mean that anyways. E.g. you being happy you live near Britain or an american loving BBC's Torchwood and saying they're an anglophile. It basically means Britophile really?

I'm a crazy Anglophile. Actually wearing my Cambridge University hoodie right now :colondollar:
(yes, very touristy I know, but who cares. tehe). It was Harry Potter that started my anglophilia when I was about 10, and then I fell in love with England and the rest of Britain. (and yes I have been there)

I'm also a Britainphile, but I'm not sure if that's a word? lol. It usually means both things I guess, but I've been more focused on England. Though I love the whole of Britain, and not to forget Ireland.
London is only an 80 minutes flight ,I'm glad :awesome: . Though my favourite city in England is Oxford.
(edited 13 years ago)
Well, for example, I know several eastern European who are very proud of their country and their heritage, and why shouldn't they be? It doesn't make them fascists, it's not 'irrational' as some people never tire of telling us, it seems a perfectly natural and healthy pride in who they are and the most rational thing in the world, for a people who had been oppressed and denied their national heritage for so long, and who had to fight to regain it.

Their pride has nothing to do with them thinking they are better than anyone else, it's simply them being proud of who the are as a people, and being willing to defend who and what they are. Total indifference to who you are (or shame for many of our left-liberal friends) doesn't really sound like a recipe for success, or survival.

Yeah but is that when they're over here? Like if I went somewhere else and I thought wow I dislike that cultural value, it is much better in Britain then I might feel proud that say minorities have more rights here than in some places, or even that we have better TV but I don't feel 'proud' as such when I'm here. I like people being anglophiles and praising our culture but it all feels a bit odd when someone British does so... Idk. Sometimes in the US they seem so OTT patriotic when its not even relevant (e.g. everything is 'such and such america!' and people are good 'americans' not good 'people' (its not so weird when them being american is actually relevant) but I'm used to that, but anything even close to that here just seems cringy.
Reply 119
This racist country, proud? Don't make me laugh.

I just crack up when I hear how Brits rant on about how they're so proud to be British. Our pubs, our heritage, our culture, our "war heroes" aka child murderers, our history, blah, blah, blah, blah. How sad can this country get. :rolleyes:

*waits for the usual go back home rant* :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending