The Student Room Group

people who argue with you for the sake of trying to look academic?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
im so academic
Reply 41
Original post by shinytoy
no im not talking about people who are actually bright, i have respect for them. but im talking abotu people who deliberately make every discussion about anythig into a competitive debate to try to win an argument, just for the sake of arguing. they arent bright, just insecure

It sounds like you lose arguments a lot. Perhaps it happens when presented with evidence that interrupts your flow, and when people simply don't buy your line of crap and decide to show you up. I bet that must be annoying. Well here's the place to let off a little frustration. Don't break your keyboard. :wink:
Yeah.
But they make themselves look like fools during it. So they fail :biggrin:
hahaha i know a couple of people like this, and it is IMPOSSIBLE to have an intelligent discussion with them because they always try to turn it into a ridiculous debating competition to assert their intellignece. even if it is pointless and trivial like

'i was gonna buy a £3 energy saving buld for our flat but the store was sold out.if we use energy saving lightbulbs in our flat, we will save energy' they will come out with

'actually no, we wont because XYZ blah blah blah tungsten is better for the environment, so no we wont save more energy'

and you say 'yes, but energy saving lightbulbs use less power and therefore save energy hence why they are 'energy saving'

they respond 'well, yes, but in Africa they have the lowest energy consumption in the world and they dont have access to energy saving light bulbs. and in caveman times, they didnt even need electric bills. and you know, power is relative. think of the fossil fuesls being burned. what about the impact of these bulbs on the ecomony, burning fuels creates jobs, and jobs keep people employed which cntributes to the furtherance of society...blah blah blah'

and all the time you were thinking omg its only a £3 light bulb!!!! :angry:

Actually the person does have a point, albeit not well-expressed (but that could be due to how you wrote it).

If anything that reflects you and how you're not that open-minded to accept other people's views? Ever thought about that? That you may not always be right?

Just because it is "only a £3 light bulb" - it doesn't make the person any less right.
Reply 44
Original post by im so academic
Actually the person does have a point, albeit not well-expressed (but that could be due to how you wrote it).

If anything that reflects you and how you're not that open-minded to accept other people's views? Ever thought about that? That you may not always be right?

Just because it is "only a £3 light bulb" - it doesn't make the person any less right.

no but the type of people im referring to HAVE NO POINT. they do this about every single tiny thing, not becasue they actually disagree with you but because they love to debate and argue as if it makes them seem brighter. that is their only point, not the actual conversation. it could be anything, they just feel the need to prove you wrong, rather than discuss anything.
Reply 45

I bet that thought never, ever, crosses the OP's mind. And that the argument wasn't over a 3 pound light bulb but probably something like politics or religion.

no but the type of people im referring to HAVE NO POINT. they do this about every single tiny thing, not becasue they actually disagree with you but because they love to debate and argue as if it makes them seem brighter. that is their only point, not the actual conversation. it could be anything, they just feel the need to prove you wrong, rather than discuss anything.

How do you know they have no point?

If you were so good at debating, you could easily own them through expressing your points in a justified and an eloquent manner as opposed to what practically is an ad hom attack on those you consider less worthy of your apparent inntelligence.
Reply 47
i'm pretty sure they don't ask complex questions and argue to make themselves look academic they just do it because that's who they are
Reply 48
Original post by WhatamIdoing
Then you tell 'em.
'Come back and argue with me when YOU'VE got a 1st class Law Degree'.
That oughta send 'em packing.

Assuming shinytoy does actually possess a 'first-class Law degree' (which I somehow doubt), it isn't from UCL:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=11790562
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=9477880
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=8523073
(edited 13 years ago)
guys,

do you know any people where if you make a statement, they will argue and argue until they are blue in the face not becauuse they have a valid point they are trying to make, but just purely to try to look academic by creating then winning an argument?

its totally annoying and pointless

its the same type of people who will listen to the teacher in class, then try their hardest to ask the most complex question possible not because they have a question to ask but because they want to show off to everyone how bright they are.

does anyoen else find this totally irritating?

Can't stand it...

Saying that though, TSR's not the best site to be on if you want to avoid it happening :rolleyes:
Original post by Profesh

Very peculiar, dear Watson... :holmes:
Reply 51
How do you know they have no point?

If you were so good at debating, you could easily own them through expressing your points in a justified and an eloquent manner as opposed to what practically is an ad hom attack on those you consider less worthy of your apparent inntelligence.

Perhaps if she'd actually attended UCL at any point during her academic career the above might seem like a foregone conclusion.
Original post by Profesh

Original post by Profesh
Perhaps if she'd actually attended UCL at any point during her academic career the above might seem like a foregone conclusion.

I presume she lied about her place of academic institution?
Reply 53
I presume she lied about her place of academic institution?

Cf. preceding post.
hahaha i know a couple of people like this, and it is IMPOSSIBLE to have an intelligent discussion with them because they always try to turn it into a ridiculous debating competition to assert their intellignece. even if it is pointless and trivial like

'i was gonna buy a £3 energy saving buld for our flat but the store was sold out.if we use energy saving lightbulbs in our flat, we will save energy' they will come out with

'actually no, we wont because XYZ blah blah blah tungsten is better for the environment, so no we wont save more energy'

and you say 'yes, but energy saving lightbulbs use less power and therefore save energy hence why they are 'energy saving'

they respond 'well, yes, but in Africa they have the lowest energy consumption in the world and they dont have access to energy saving light bulbs. and in caveman times, they didnt even need electric bills. and you know, power is relative. think of the fossil fuesls being burned. what about the impact of these bulbs on the ecomony, burning fuels creates jobs, and jobs keep people employed which cntributes to the furtherance of society...blah blah blah'

and all the time you were thinking omg its only a £3 light bulb!!!! :angry:

lmao! thank god I'm not alone! I thought it was just my best friend who did that! haha x
Original post by ritchie888
I completely disagree with this thread because I go to university.

What, so everyone who goes to university has to be a pretentious douche? :rolleyes:
Original post by Picaa
It sounds like you lose arguments a lot. Perhaps it happens when presented with evidence that interrupts your flow, and when people simply don't buy your line of crap and decide to show you up. I bet that must be annoying. Well here's the place to let off a little frustration. Don't break your keyboard. :wink:

Well obviously you either don't know what it's like to try to talk to these people, or you are one ':wink:'
Reply 57
Original post by IndigoRockGirl
Well obviously you either don't know what it's like to try to talk to these people, or you are one ':wink:'

Yeah I know I'm so uncool.. I try to use academic methods wherever possible to support my arguments, and that SO doesn't belong here, this being a 'student' forum and all... LOL
I do try to improve myself though, by ditching class a third of the time and smoking marijuana just to try and win more friends among my obviously teenaged peer group.
:rolleyes:
Reply 58
I look back on some and realize i sounded/looked like a absolute cock with the dribble coming out of my mouth.

I'm clueless.
no they really arent. like seiously, why argue a totally unimportant point like my example on a £3 energy saving light bulb? there are some peopel that do this just to create a debate purposefully. i have a 1st class and gold medal for a law degree, so less smart people sometimes do this to me to try to prove a point. it is irritating and pathetic

um.. it's kinda fun :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending