The Student Room Group

What's your view on the Niq'ab and Hij'ab?

Scroll to see replies

...make for good ninja outfits.
Reply 181
Original post by Jimbo1234

Being aware or not aware of theof British citizens does not change anything.
It is very easy to form a stance on what traditions should be upheld if you know anything about British culture or history......:rolleyes: Although granted that some traditions are dying out leaving a void and being replaced with crap from British people eg. bad parenting, which I do not want, I also do not want extreme traditions from other cultures replacing this void that has been made.

There is a difference, in no way, does this cause a stop to a female from joining cultural values that you follow and wear the khimar (headscarf in its literal arab meaning as hijaab is too vague) as long as it is deemed correct according to her religion. Thus, individuals have different objectives that centre their life.

I know that not all immigrants are Muslim etc, but I do know that the minority wear the hijab, and that is the minority of Muslims and even in Muslim states traditions are changing. This begs the question of why did you come here (or your parents etc as the vast majority of those wearing the hijab are immigrants by one or two generations) to preserve parts of your culture rather then embracing the culture you have moved to? If I moved to a different country then I would try to integrate as best possible because I would prefer that culture - hence why I moved there.

The khimar is not a unique concept in the UK, in fact if you look at British fashion up until the 1960's, some form of head covering was the norm. The fact that this culture changed, perhaps some what influenced by the increasing decline of Christianity, but I'm not entirely sure. However, the khimar is believed by the Muslim females who wear this as a part of their faith to retain a sense of modesty and piety towards Allah. I don't see how that disrupts your right to engage in your culture.

As for what am I going to do about it............what is this, the playground or some drunken brawl? Someone asked what is my opinion and I answered. To get so provocative is quite alarming and shows that you are not comfortable with people holding a negative opinion about certain customs. Again, if that is the case then one should look at why they are in this country.

I'm not trying to cause you to become provocative, I'm sorry. I was fowarding a hypothetical scenario of a khimar-wearing female and asking for your reaction.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 182
It should be implemented in this country. Hopefully within the next 50 years the shariah would be implented in Britain, therefore it would be compulsory for every female muslim to cover they're head as stated in quran.
Original post by ajtiesto
It should be implemented in this country. Hopefully within the next 50 years the shariah would be implented in Britain, therefore it would be compulsory for every female muslim to cover they're head as stated in quran.

LOL, don't count on it.
I don't mind the hijab tbh, I have no issue there. I don't think they should be allowed to wear the niqab. Why hide your face?
Reply 185
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
LOL, don't count on it.

Oh I'm pretty confident it will. Lets not forget Islam is fastest growing religion in the UK and it recently overtook Judaism in terms of population. Additionally there more people converting to Islam every year in the UK, added to the immigration from muslim countries, the growing birth rate of muslims and increasing immigration of white British people from the UK to other countries all adds up.
Oh I'm pretty confident it will. Lets not forget Islam is fastest growing religion in the UK and it recently overtook Judaism in terms of population. Additionally there more people converting to Islam every year in the UK, added to the immigration from muslim countries, the growing birth rate of muslims and increasing immigration of white British people from the UK to other countries all adds up.

Worst. Troll. Ever. Why can't all TSR trolls be as amusing as Broderss? :facepalm2:

I thought you might be a deluded muzzie, but you sound more like a troll here.

In either case, your assumption that these trend will continue is baseless.
Reply 188
Original post by Mujeriego
Worst. Troll. Ever. Why can't all TSR trolls be as amusing as Broderss? :facepalm2:

Not trolling, just making a point and actually doing what your suppose do on a forum, discussing your point of view which obviously have no intention of doing. Just going off subject and making no effort to actually discuss my point of view. Think your the one that's trolling.
Reply 189
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
I thought you might be a deluded muzzie, but you sound more like a troll here.

In either case, your assumption that these trend will continue is baseless.

Why is it trolling? I making some valid points which you've failed to counter and just like the guy making the trolling excuse.
Original post by Hamesh
There is a difference, in no way, does this cause a stop to a female from joining cultural values that you follow and wear the khimar (headscarf in its literal arab meaning as hijaab is too vague) as long as it is deemed correct according to her religion. Thus, individuals have different objectives that centre their life.

The khimar is not a unique concept in the UK, in fact if you look at British fashion up until the 1960's, some form of head covering was the norm. The fact that this culture changed, perhaps some what influenced by the increasing decline of Christianity, but I'm not entirely sure. However, the khimar is believed by the Muslim females who wear this as a part of their faith to retain a sense of modesty and piety towards Allah. I don't see how that disrupts your right to engage in your culture.

I'm not trying to cause you to become provocative, I'm sorry. I was fowarding a hypothetical scenario of a khimar-wearing female and asking for your reaction.

You make some very good points. However if you look at many people in this thread, the reason they wear the scarf is quite derogatory towards men, and I believe that this attitude is harmful. As we have both pointed out, the head scarf was worn in Britain only 40 years ago, but the reasons were very different. Originally it did start off as religious, but as years passed, it became more of a simple piece of clothing. As shown by this thread, many women do not wear the khimar for fashion or as simple clothing, but to make a statement. This is what I disagree with as it can easily prevent successful social integration.
I don't like any of it - not even the mildest Hijab.

I think it treats and lowers women to the status of men's property. I feel sorry for them that they feel obliged to cover and hide parts of themselves from humanity. The idea that God made all that human hair, only for it to be concealed in shame is completely absurd, and reveals religions to be founded on the man-made idea of human guilt. If it is not a divine warrant, then it is a mark of man-dominated culture that penetrates today where women are valued as sex objects, and as child-bearers.

Revolting!
Reply 192
Don't bother me, as long as they are ok wearing it.
Original post by wavey93

Original post by wavey93
Don't bother me, as long as they are ok wearing it.

Would you be so blaze about the black slaves who worked the plantations, and were "ok" with wearing shackles too?
Why is it trolling? I making some valid points which you've failed to counter and just like the guy making the trolling excuse.

I did counter it - your assumption that the trends you mentioned will continue is baseless.
Reply 195
Original post by Lord Hysteria
Would you be so blaze about the black slaves who worked the plantations, and were "ok" with wearing shackles too?

What a retarded comparison.
Original post by wavey93

Original post by wavey93
What a retarded comparison.

No, not in substance. Both forms of submission in treating humans as private property.
Original post by #Funky
Hello,

I've seen an increasing amount of girls starting to wear the Niq'ab and Hij'ab.

What are your views on it? What do you think? Should they wear it in the United Kingdom? If not then why?

Is this extreme?

I very rarely see women in either where I live because I live in such a White area, but when I visit my partner is Leicester both are rife.

I have absolutley nothing against the hijab, I see it as the equivalent to the Christian cross.

I detest the niqab; there is no place for it in this society and it is not an Islamic requirement. It cuts women off from society and is a from of oppression. I don't treat women in niqab the same as I treat other people because I find it highly weird and uncomfortable to interact with someone without being able to see their face.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending