The Student Room Group

MEng or MSc at a better university?

im doing BEng civil engineering at swansea and scored a first in level one. i'm confident that i'll get a first this semester as well, and hopefully by the end of the academic year - so that i'm eligible to transfer to the MEng scheme.

if i want to become a chartered civil engineer, should i remain on the MEng or do an MSc at a 'better' university?

EDIT: i'm interested in structural engineering, so to become a structural engineer would it be better to do a structural engineering msc than to remain on a general MEng?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Cataclysmic
im doing BEng civil engineering at swansea and scored a first in level one. i'm confident that i'll get a first this semester as well, and hopefully by the end of the academic year - so that i'm eligible to transfer to the MEng scheme.

if i want to become a chartered civil engineer, should i remain on the MEng or do an MSc at a 'better' university?

i've heard from several employers that swansea is a very strong civil engineering department (both nationally and internationally), so that imperial is really the only 'better' civil engineering dept (cambridge doesn't offer a postgrad MSc in civ eng). would it be worth the extra 6000 odd quid to do an msc in civil engineering at a university that is only marginally better in civil engineering, with the intention of becoming a chartered civil engineer?

thanks in advance.

Short answer: no.
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
Short answer: no.

why?
why?

Why on earth would you want to spend 6K extra on something that'll get you the exact same end result, chartership?
Reply 4
Original post by Smack
Why on earth would you want to spend 6K extra on something that'll get you the exact same end result, chartership?

okay let me refine my question. i want to become a chartered civil engineer with optimal pay. is it worth doing an msc at a top university?
okay let me refine my question. i want to become a chartered civil engineer with optimal pay. is it worth doing an msc at a top university?

If you want the best pay you'll have to work in one of the most lucrative sectors. Simple as that.

Quick Reply

Latest