The Student Room Group

I'm a jealous prick and I feel ashamed of myself but...

Keep anon or just delete he bloody thing.

Anyways so like many of you I'm currently going through the UCAS 2011 cycle. Now I was rejected from one of the Oxbridge universities about a month ago and got over it relatively quickly. However, over the weeks I have become more and more upset about it and now I've just reached boiling point. People are starting to receive offers and rejections and I actually felt happy when someone whom I actually like, was rejected by Oxford. As you can see I am being an envious prick which is really unnecessary since I've already actually got offers from really good universities. Anyways, I now feel like **** because two people I know, one being a very close friend, have received an offer from Oxford and instead of feeling happy for them, I feel really ****. To make matters worse, I told my mum that X received an offer and she went all "Oh good for him, but it's not about where you go so don't worry..." :blah:

The thing is that I know that I should be happy for them as opposed to self-pitying but I just can't help but feel like crap. :frown: I would have considered reapplying, provided that my final grades are exemplary, but the fricking government have only gone and increased fees and tbh I just don't want to pay £9000 per year. :frown:

Sorry for this incredibly long and puerile post but I needed to get this off my chest. :frown:
Once you get to uni that feeling will almost certainly go. Do you want to go to the unis that you've got offers from?
It's time to don the mask of........RAUOL MOAT
Reply 3
Aaaah i love being Mixed Race. I got into Oxford via a certain quota.
Reply 4
Original post by thetopnotch
Once you get to uni that feeling will almost certainly go. Do you want to go to the unis that you've got offers from?

Well I actually like the other universities that I have offers for and I had even decided that I really wanted to go to one of these instead of one of the Oxbridge unis (trying to stay anon here) but I've just gradually become more and more annoyed. I think it is because I didn't get interviewd. I'm pretty sure that had I been interviewed, I would not be anywhere near as despondent...
Reply 5
Original post by lovely_me
A classic example of the 'Oxbridge rejection syndrome' a well known medical condition on TSR.

It's a shame but inevitably there will be well qualified applicants who pin their hearts on Oxbridge will get rejected every year, due to the nature of the competition.

It's a real tragidy, but on the other hand you got accepted to two very other good universities.

I hear it can be cured by something called 'having a life'? Whatever that is...
Original post by Anonymous

Original post by Anonymous
Well I actually like the other universities that I have offers for and I had even decided that I really wanted to go to one of these instead of one of the Oxbridge unis (trying to stay anon here) but I've just gradually become more and more annoyed. I think it is because I didn't get interviewd. I'm pretty sure that had I been interviewed, I would not be anywhere near as despondent...

Give it time, I don't think what you're feeling is uncommon. I sort of felt the same after my UCAS (4 rejections, 1 offer). You said that you already had a uni in mind before the situation changed so just try to focus on that and making the offer. You probably won't feel the same way by the time you start uni and if still do freshers week should change that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending