The Student Room Group

Are you proud to be English/British?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by jaydoh
No what are you talking about, apart from trying to blind me with science?

Don't worry about it. :smile:
Reply 121
Original post by Time Tourist
Well, for example, I know several eastern European who are very proud of their country and their heritage, and why shouldn't they be? It doesn't make them fascists, it's not 'irrational' as some people never tire of telling us, it seems a perfectly natural and healthy pride in who they are and the most rational thing in the world, for a people who had been oppressed and denied their national heritage for so long, and who had to fight to regain it.

Their pride has nothing to do with them thinking they are better than anyone else, it's simply them being proud of who the are as a people, and being willing to defend who and what they are. Total indifference to who you are (or shame for many of our left-liberal friends) doesn't really sound like a recipe for success, or survival.

But is that really pride? Or is it happiness, joy perhaps? I feel like pride is the wrong term, the quickest definition I can find is 'pleasure in something by which you measure your self worth'. I feel like this implies achievment of some kind but I may be wrong. What do you think?
Original post by Aeolus

I think he is referring to a general fondness of a country. Not necessarily pride. I think one can only be proud of accomplishments. I don't really understand how you can be "proud" of being born English, gay, white or whatever ...
Reply 123
Original post by Lord Hysteria
I think he is referring to a general fondness of a country. Not necessarily pride. I think one can only be proud of accomplishments. I don't really understand how you can be "proud" of being born English, gay, white or whatever ...

Well I would agree with this. Many things about this country make me happy, nostalgic, excited and on rare occasions elated. I almost always feel lucky when considering the rest of the worlds population. But I just can't describe that as pride, pride is something I feel when I write a good essay or finish a good book. A calculable achievment by which I can indeed attempt to measure my self worth as the definition goes.
Reply 124
Why should I?
Reply 125
Original post by Luceria
Norwegians in Oslo on 17th May. 17th May is the Constitution day/national day, and it's the biggest celebration of the year. No other country has a celebration quite like it. We wear beautiful national costumes, and there is a big childrens parade (all the schools). Everyone waving the Norwegian flag, and wishing each other "a happy birthday" (lol, never quite got that). Norwegians are very patriotic, but not like crazy 'BNP members'. I've never viewed it as a bad thing ? :confused:

(some small place in Norway on 17th May)

(some national costumes)

Looks like a white only parade to me.

Lol at the costumes, sorry couldn't help myself laughing.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 126
Original post by ajtiesto
Looks like a white only parade to me.

Lol at the costumes, sorry couldn't help myself laughing.

What a highly ignorant post. It's not.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 127
Original post by Catch 22
Independence is freedom and freedom is a human right. I'm British btw.

No. Nationalism is a collectivist ideology which is anathema to liberals.

Original post by quixoticduck
Ooh, you're right. I do love Anglophilia in foreign people, but at the same time, I prefer Britophilia? =] and Anglophilia is often used to mean that anyways. E.g. you being happy you live near Britain or an american loving BBC's Torchwood and saying they're an anglophile. It basically means Britophile really?

Original post by Luceria
I'm also a Britainphile, but I'm not sure if that's a word? lol. It usually means both things I guess, but I've been more focused on England. Though I love the whole of Britain, and not to forget Ireland.

As perverse as it may be, "Anglo" means British in some contexts. Which is fair enough really: Scotland is just as "Anglo" as it is "Scotto", in ethnic terms.

Oh, and Luceria, Hogwarts was in Scotland!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 128
Original post by L i b

As perverse as it may be, "Anglo" means British in some contexts. Which is fair enough really: Scotland is just as "Anglo" as it is "Scotto", in ethnic terms.

Oh, and Luceria, Hogwarts was in Scotland!

Yes. I'm just following what is written in dictionaries..

Of course I know it's in Scotland! I've spent half my life as a Harry Potter fan, I'm not a newbie. lol. I love Scotland too.
I'm fond of Britain's history and its culture and feel privileged to be in its presence and connected to it - but that's pretty much where it ends.
Original post by Lewroll
I am proud to be human. Humans have achieved a lot. i think we are a great species. I wouldnt want to be any thing else (maybe a cat)

I'd like to be a crocodile, and snap ya for free breakfast.
Reply 131
Our music is fab. So yes!
I find it hard to see things today that would make me proud to be British. Seems as though there's more negativity than positivity.
Reply 133
don't really know how you can be proud of something you can't help. it's like being proud of having blue eyes or something.
It would be nice to be a very affluent lord or similar with lots of English land and a traditional English country manor house in some pleasant rural English setting.

I'm not but I'm still a proud average Brit. :smile:

Jack
Original post by Catch 22
Independence is freedom and freedom is a human right. I'm British btw.

freedom is too vague on it's own to be a human right.

Freedom of murder? no.

Freedom to self-determination is arguable. wE bRITS COULD ALSO MAKE THINGS DIFFICULT FOR wILSON AND THE ****ING aMericans by disputing what is and what isn't a nation.

'scuse the caps
Reply 136
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
For the same reason there's no reason to be proud of having brown hair.

...I'm proud of having brown hair. :s-smilie: I guess there's something seriously wrong with me eh?!
Original post by jaydoh
I know you shouldn't be proud of where you happened to be born, but since there's no changing it you may as well embrace the fact and show some national pride. I don't particularly like the Royals but it's nice to see the show of national pride for royal birthdays, weddings and the likes.

So are you proud to be British?

Absolutely. Proud as punch, you might say!

Like you said, the fact that we happened to be spawned upon this island doesn't exactly make it profound in any way, though, we should display some national pride, at least a dash of it.

I personally can't stand these neo-turncoats who feel the need to trash this countries name, or those who say ridiculous things, perhaps things like: 'I wish I was born into 'x' country', or 'x nationilty, creed, race', etc...

Nevertheless, the concept of 'national pride' is quite redundant.
Original post by philistine
Absolutely. Proud as punch, you might say!

Like you said, the fact that we happened to be spawned upon this island doesn't exactly make it profound in any way, though, we should display some national pride, at least a dash of it.

I personally can't stand these neo-turncoats who feel the need to trash this countries name, or those who say ridiculous things, perhaps things like: 'I wish I was born into 'x' country', or 'x nationilty, creed, race', etc...

Nevertheless, the concept of 'national pride' is quite redundant.

Definitely, you're right. How do they expect foreigners to integrate into our society if they're anti-British almost themselves. Anglophiles=great, in the sense that it bodes well for national solidarity irrespective of where they were born, as long as they consider themselves British. Anti-British stance= If British people don't show a sense of pride ergo a collective solidarity for the UK, then like I say...what about would be terrorists, people prone to radicalisation etc etc? It's a deep thought but it's something to think about. It's the anti-British stance adopted by Arabic etc countries , to put it in context (although not waving your St George from your window is clearly different to wanting to blow people up) but a deeper contempt for Britain and Britons displayed by people of different countries and cultures. Be it for whatever reason. Cos I see that there is an overt sense of hostility towards British people from foriengers. On a superficial level, it's just "we don't like the Brits" on a deeper level they want to kill us all!!

So essentially what I'm saying is, a collective sense of national pride could potentially contribute even in a minor way, to stopping people being radicalised but also counter the overwhelming sense of Anti-English/Anti-British feeling from people from other countries.

And Qua: It would be the same anywhere in the world wherever I was born. Be it Uganda, UAE, Ulan Bator (which isn't a country but you get the picture) or the United Kingdom.... I am born here, I may as well show some "pride" the fact that it's the UK with it's empicirical history and whatever is redundant.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by allieee
don't really know how you can be proud of something you can't help. it's like being proud of having blue eyes or something.

So? That's the same old argument from people who don't want to show a little national pride.

I KNOW it can;t be helped where you're born, but look at what is and deal with it accordingly. It can't be changed as I keep repeating so you may as well deal with it as it is.

And incidently, what would be wrong about being proud of having blue eyes??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending