The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elisabethbridge
Hey, I joined the society a while back when it first started, but haven't been posting much since cause of uni etc., the usual. Finished exams today though. WOOOO! Now to holidays and working on the long list of 'to watch' films!

Just watched The Empire Strikes Back. Thought it was fantastic. Although, regrettably all I have is my 15" laptop screen for watching films, which I feel took a huge chunk of excitement and general enjoyment away from the film. One for the bigger screens definitely.

Welcome to the society thread! :h:

Me too. Such a great feeling. :jive:

I've been eyeing up my Back to the Future and Star Wars collections for a re-watch. :moon:

What films are you thinking of watching during your holiday break? :smile:

Original post by shyguy90
Howdy all :smile: new to film society.

everyone seems to mention inception, so i may aswell say it was a brilliant film with mindblowing special effects, especially when the city bends upside down. made me feel dizzy when i saw it at the cinema :s-smilie:

Welcome! :h:

It's a very good film indeed. Have you watched any of the other films made by Nolan?

What films are your favourites? Looking forward to any cinematic releases?
Original post by Madjackismad

Keep it to yourself then. :p:

Seems to be a lot of mixed reactions. Some people think it was rubbish, but the trouble is those same people also dismissed Avatar as rubbish and others say they found it disappointing as they were expecting a lot more. This type of movie never seems to live up to expectations.

Avatar is on Sky on Christmas Eve. I'm looking forwards to seeing what it looks like on a screen which is smaller than 5 double deckers.
Reply 5083
[QUOTE=Welcome! :H

It's a very good film indeed. Have you watched any of the other films made by Nolan?

What films are your favourites? Looking forward to any cinematic releases?

Thanks! :biggrin:

Ive seen both of his batman films, the dark knight is brilliant, better than batman begins.

I quite like any type of film, even some musicals, the blues brothers is my only fave of that catergory. I like action, adventure and mystery films. i can stand romantic films to an extent :P

Im looking forward to harry potter part 2 and thor :biggrin:
Original post by Phalanges

Fair points. I just never connected with the characters in Godfather as much as those films. I think Pacino in Scarface is probably one of the greatest cinematic performances of all time.

I would probably agree that Pacino in Scarface > Pacino in the Godfather films, you're right.

Brother has brought Dr. Strangelove Blu Ray round! :coma:
Reply 5085
I'm about to watch- a prophet :holmes:

I hope its good as it says it is.
Avatar is on Sky on Christmas Eve. I'm looking forwards to seeing what it looks like on a screen which is smaller than 5 double deckers.

Yeah, and I think Sky got the first 3D television premier of it. Looking forward to seeing how it looks in standard HD rather than the IMAX and without 3D.
Reply 5087
Yeah, and I think Sky got the first 3D television premier of it. Looking forward to seeing how it looks in standard HD rather than the IMAX and without 3D.

I watched Avatar on Blu Ray and it looked fantastic. Broadcast HD will probably be slightly compressed compared to Blu Ray but I'm sure it'll look great.
Well here goes for anybody that cares, my ratings after some thought:

Tron: Legacy

Narrative/Story - 5
Acting - 7
Character development - 5
Visuals - 10
Soundtrack - 10

Overall - 7/10
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Tron.

Spoiler

Damn straight.

Yep - but only idiots with cash to burn and a fundamental misunderstanding of the technology buy 3D for their living room.
Over half hour into Catfish....I keep getting this creepy ominous feeling about it.
Yep - but only idiots with cash to burn and a fundamental misunderstanding of the technology buy 3D for their living room.

Yup. :nod:

Waiting for holographic to break through, but that's a long way away.

^ Ha same but i've been waiting for too long, im starting to give up :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Seanisonfire
Over half hour into Catfish....I keep getting this creepy ominous feeling about it.

Your gut feeling is probably right.
Have you seen Into The Wild? Awesome film, was on film4 two nights ago. Definitely worth a watch.
Reply 5096
Just put on How To Train Your Dragon :cool:

Your gut feeling is probably right.

Hah well

Spoiler

Finished Gran Torino.

Great film. :daydreaming:

Real funny at some places.

phwoar

Latest