The Student Room Group

would this affect your place at medical school?

a mental illness, to be simple. could be depression, bipolar, i don't know (if anyone out there knows, assuming the answer to the thread title is yes, is there discrimination between mental disorders?)

say you haven't been diagnosed and you just wish to make an appointment with the doctor - do records of that consultation alone have any effect on your place/career? does the diagnosis?

should know this really - always been too cautious to ask
would be grateful to anybody that could shed any light on this...
Reply 1
depends what it is i suppose. you have to declare it on your UCAS form but i dont think it would be a problem as long as the medical school/GMC dont see it affecting the well-being of the patient.
Reply 2
of course not, it isn't a criminal record. But it will have a negative impact on coping with the workload.
Reply 3
Original post by Magician
depends what it is i suppose. you have to declare it on your UCAS form but i dont think it would be a problem as long as the medical school/GMC dont see it affecting the well-being of the patient.

what if you're already at medical school? do you have to declare it to them?

sorry i should have made that clear in my original post
Reply 4
Original post by Diaz89
of course not, it isn't a criminal record. But it will have a negative impact on coping with the workload.

so if you've just been diagnosed with bipolar, for example, you don't have to declare it to your medical school? i just thought maybe they'd fear the safety of your future patients/question your ability to practice
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
what if you're already at medical school? do you have to declare it to them?

sorry i should have made that clear in my original post

well im sure you could get away by not telling them but seeking help is the best option. you would be becoming a doctor to help others but can only do this well, if you are good yourself.

I know few med students that are bipolar/autistic/dyslexic/depressed and the uni knows about that so i guess in their case, it hasnt been a problem!
Reply 6
so if you've just been diagnosed with bipolar, for example, you don't have to declare it to your medical school? i just thought maybe they'd fear the safety of your future patients/question your ability to practice

I can't give you a definitive answer and a lot of people say that you should mention it, but If I were you, I wouldn't put anything that may undermine your application, Medicine is competitive as it is. Alot of people suffer from mental health issues and bipolar disorder is treatable pharmaceutically.
Reply 7
Reply 8
a mental illness, to be simple. could be depression, bipolar, i don't know (if anyone out there knows, assuming the answer to the thread title is yes, is there discrimination between mental disorders?)

say you haven't been diagnosed and you just wish to make an appointment with the doctor - do records of that consultation alone have any effect on your place/career? does the diagnosis?

should know this really - always been too cautious to ask
would be grateful to anybody that could shed any light on this...

It would if it affected either:

Your ability to perform in your future career

Or your ability to pass 6th form and get good enough grades

Otherwise I don't see why this would be a problem. :smile:
Reply 9
I am assuming you are asking because you thinking about seeking help, please don't lose site of this being the most important thing.

Hopefully however I will be able to put your mind at ease slightly, I suffered from a mental health problem (anorexia) before applying to University. If I remember correctly you don't have to declare anything during the application process so it shouldn't affect you getting offers. However I think all medical schools are the same that after making an offer they will ask you to fill in an occupational health form. Obviously no one can force you to declare any problems but I was advised that it is best to do so I declared my mental health problem on my occupational health forms. The main consequence what that I had to go an see the occupational health service for a brief meeting when I started university, they basically wanted to check I was getting the treatment I needed. In my experience universities look favorably on you being proactive towards your own health. I was pleased that I was honest on my forms as during my first year I relapsed quite severely and the university being aware of my circumstances definitely made them more understanding. Given the severity of my relapse the University recommended I took a year out to recover which I did and now I am happily back getting on with university as normal. But it helps to know that the support is there. I know people who are at university with on going mental health problems and as the university is satisfied that they are taking the necessary actions it hasn't had any impact on their place.

Mental Health problems are common in people at medical school so It seems unlikely that they discriminate in any way against people with such problem. The only time I can see it being a problem was if they thought your health was likely to effect your fitness to practice i.e. if you weren't complying to treatment etc. Overall though my experience is that they can be quite supportive.

My main advice would be to get treatment when ever you need it, if you want to be a doctor then you need to look after yourself.

Hope you're okay, Best wishes x
Reply 10
fuchsie
x

Original post by Miss.C
I am assuming you are asking because you thinking about seeking help, please don't lose site of this being the most important thing.

Hopefully however I will be able to put your mind at ease slightly, I suffered from a mental health problem (anorexia) before applying to University. If I remember correctly you don't have to declare anything during the application process so it shouldn't affect you getting offers. However I think all medical schools are the same that after making an offer they will ask you to fill in an occupational health form. Obviously no one can force you to declare any problems but I was advised that it is best to do so I declared my mental health problem on my occupational health forms. The main consequence what that I had to go an see the occupational health service for a brief meeting when I started university, they basically wanted to check I was getting the treatment I needed. In my experience universities look favorably on you being proactive towards your own health. I was pleased that I was honest on my forms as during my first year I relapsed quite severely and the university being aware of my circumstances definitely made them more understanding. Given the severity of my relapse the University recommended I took a year out to recover which I did and now I am happily back getting on with university as normal. But it helps to know that the support is there. I know people who are at university with on going mental health problems and as the university is satisfied that they are taking the necessary actions it hasn't had any impact on their place.

Mental Health problems are common in people at medical school so It seems unlikely that they discriminate in any way against people with such problem. The only time I can see it being a problem was if they thought your health was likely to effect your fitness to practice i.e. if you weren't complying to treatment etc. Overall though my experience is that they can be quite supportive.

My main advice would be to get treatment when ever you need it, if you want to be a doctor then you need to look after yourself.

Hope you're okay, Best wishes x

thanks for your replies guys..

i'm already at medical school but recently my "problem" has been getting worse and so i'm finally thinking about seeing a doctor about it - just worried i'll get diagnosed with something like bipolar/depression and that i'll have to declare it or they might tell my uni (but they won't because of confidentiality right?), just a bit concerned that it will all "come out" one day or that rules will change so that being bipolar/having a history of depression will limit what and where you can practice/etc

what i do is my passion (yes, extremely sad, i know) and if it was taken away from me, i don't know what i'd do. studying seems to be the only thing that keeps me going and the one thing i can almost always be certain of being competent at. and it gives me a sense of purpose..

but then i can't go on like this anymore because it's actually starting to affect my studies.

catch-22.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending