The Student Room Group

Money determining relationship?

I am in a relationship with a girl... however there is one major problem: money. She is used to a high class lifestyle, whereas I have no aspirations to do a job which earns lots of money (either the forces or teaching). How fair do you think it is that I would consider ending the relationship because I don't think I would ever be able to provide for her in the future (and am therefore doing both of us a favour)?
It sounds shallow in the sense that it sounds like I would consider dumping her over money, but it is more than that; it is more about choices in life and lifestyle. I don't want to go to universities/do certain courses because I think they will make more money/completely change my planned career path because I could never make enough in the ones I am interested in.
Thanks all.
She sounds like a spoilt brat, dump her while you can. :yes:
Reply 2
Surely she knows your future plans career wise? She is still with you knowing them and so knowing you're not going to be earning a fortune!

If she wants a 'high class lifestyle' then she should work for it herself. It's not like she needs to be sat at home while you go out and work to provide for her!

It sounds like you're making money the issue.
Reply 3
Can you please speak with your lady prior to discussing your intimate life on the internet. Can you please delete this thread before she reads it.
Those are not questions. Go and do it :P. Talk to her on this subject and see what her plans are.
If you're in love with her and want to marry her. Speak with her first. And discuss each others plans. Then share them with your family members.
Reply 4
I assume she knew this before you started dating. You're making it the issue by the sounds of it, not her
Reply 5
We are not in the 17th or 18th century anymore but still..relationship break because of the money issue.
If you feel good with her, and the opposite is valid, then..I don't see why you are that stressed.
Just go on the career you want, take the job you want, while maintain your relationship.:smile:
Original post by mike_mike

Original post by mike_mike
We are not in the 17th or 18th century anymore but still..relationship break because of the money issue.
If you feel good with her, and the opposite is valid, then..I don't see why you are that stressed.
Just go on the career you want, take the job you want, while maintain your relationship.:smile:

Hey yoooooooooou! message me on msn or tsr, haven't talk to you for like forever

OP, she's with you even if she knows you're not that glamorous and rich. Did she complain about you not buying her a Gucci bag?If not, then don't stressed yourself about it.
She loves you even if you're not rich.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
I am in a relationship with a girl... however there is one major problem: money. She is used to a high class lifestyle, whereas I have no aspirations to do a job which earns lots of money (either the forces or teaching). How fair do you think it is that I would consider ending the relationship because I don't think I would ever be able to provide for her in the future (and am therefore doing both of us a favour)?
It sounds shallow in the sense that it sounds like I would consider dumping her over money, but it is more than that; it is more about choices in life and lifestyle. I don't want to go to universities/do certain courses because I think they will make more money/completely change my planned career path because I could never make enough in the ones I am interested in.
Thanks all.

Dont worry, why does it matter? I mean has she pressured you into getting her nice stuff? I mean, **** her if you think she is a shallow gold digger and let her dupe someone else.
Reply 8
Is it right for you to leave her over money?
She may be used to it, but she may care about you more than the lifestyle. Has it become a problem already? (presumably you don't have the money atm to take her on all fancy dates) If not, it's worth enjoying the relationship longer.
The problem you envision the two of you having, from what I infer, won't arise for a few years at least, so things may change between then and now (not necessarily your plans, but maybe her lifestyle, or even your relationship).
tl;dr enjoy what you have now and let the future play out as it will :smile:
Reply 10
She is with you already, so obviously she likes you, and I assume you've shared your future goals and aspiration with each other? You should talk it out.
It's wise of you to think about it though. It is silly to say that "money doesn't matter", because most of us will settle down at some point. She shouldn't ask you to provide for her obviously, but it is normal for a couple to go 50/50 on a lot of stuff. If she wants to eat certain places and you cannot afford to pay half the bill, for instance. Or more importantly, when buying an apartment together, what if you cannot go 50% in on a place which is anywhere near where she wants to live? I'd never ask for a man to provide for me, but I'm not going to provide for a man either, so I'd need him to have similar earnings/fortune to myself, or better. But of course, she might think differently.
Reply 11
Just talk to her about it, isn't that hard.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending