The Student Room Group

People who make a habit out of lying..

I know someone who constantly lies, whether it's to get himself out of trouble or just becase he feels the need to. Just wondering, whether it's yourself or someone you know, can someone who's made a habit of lying ever stop?
Reply 1
You could kill them, that would make it stop for sure.

But don't do that.. thats naughty.
Reply 2
I knew a persistent liar. She did it so she could make out to people she met she lived in a dreamworld where everything was perfect. It was far from that, she was just totally insecure with who she was and felt she had to boast about a life she didn't even have. Pathetic really, she lost people as a result when they found out.
Someone I worked with made a different lie up each day, sad really.
Yeah, just disregard everything they say as a lie and/or make stuff up that he 'said' and they'll eventually get the idea and stop.
I rather like lying, not proper direct lies though. More lying by omission, implication and bending the truth such that it is pretzel shaped. I try not to do it but then I even lie to myself half the time.

I don't have a whole fake life or anything. More I just hide my thoughts.
Reply 6
As i mentioned in a thread earlier, i used to be a extreme compulsive liar and it was an addiction just as cigarettes are. If i didn't get it out, i would start to go mental and actually shake.

Seriously.

But one day i just woke up and lost the urge to lie, so yeah, compulsive liars can change.
LOL a boy at my college lied so much it was really crazy. here are some of the best!

1. He ran out onto the road and dived under a bus without being hurt!
2. He ran a mile and half in 3 minutes.
3. People who know braehead will find this funny. Well apprently one day he thought **** it Im climbing this to the top. Now get this he had to sneak into the security room and turn of the lazer sensors.
4. One day he was walking along and some guy asked him for a lighter. The boy said no so the guy pulls a knife and the boy kncoked him clean out with one punch!!!
5.He ran through braehead shopping centre naked

There is so much I really cant remember the thing is he exepected us to believe thislol
Reply 8
Psychiatrists call it 'Pseudologia fantastica'

Here's some information about compulsive lying: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudologia_fantastica

Can't really answer your question, but i hope this helps: http://www.articlesbase.com/self-help-articles/compulsive-lying-how-to-stop-lying-578785.html
Reply 9
All I will say is that lying can wreck someones life :mad:
Reply 10
Original post by damos92
As i mentioned in a thread earlier, i used to be a extreme compulsive liar and it was an addiction just as cigarettes are. If i didn't get it out, i would start to go mental and actually shake.

Seriously.

But one day i just woke up and lost the urge to lie, so yeah, compulsive liars can change.

Lets just hope people addicted to cigarettes, just wake up and lose the urge.
Reply 11
I knew a guy once who had the nickname 'Bullsh!t Chris' because he lied so much!

Some of him gems included that he had reusable grenades, could get a tank to somewhere within minutes if needed and had dehydrated water. It was such stupid, mental lies though that it was quite funny!
Lying can be interesting. It's sometimes fun to see how gullible people really are. Some people will literally believe anything without any proof for it.
Reply 13
BumperBo lies a lot because it amuses him what people will actually believe
he doesn't usually lie to his friends though, and never about anything that might come back and put its dick in BumperBo's ass
Reply 14
A.K.A Nick Clegg :biggrin:
People do it for attention and popularity
Reply 16
Original post by Annie72
All I will say is that lying can wreck someones life :mad:

Yeh agreed. And to all the people telling 'amusing' anecdotes - compulsive lying is a sign of manic depression. I lost a friend to compulsive lying, it's not pretty. :nn:
I don't understand why people feel the need to lie repetitively...possibly to create a delusion of what is real? Or sometimes it might become a "compulsion" if say someone lies about one thing and ha to build up those lies with other ones.
Reply 18
Original post by fire2burn
Lying can be interesting. It's sometimes fun to see how gullible people really are. Some people will literally believe anything without any proof for it.

I so agree with this!

I hope that those that tell life destroying lies are found out though, its devestating for the person they are lying about!.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
Compulsive lying is as the name suggests, driven by a compulsion.
Many people who do compulsively lie find it difficult to stop as it has a subconscious beginning-emotional/psychological trauma for example.
As well as this, once the habit has been established as a coping mechanism for whatever underlying issues the person has, much like a drug or cigarettes it takes time to 'get off' them as it were.
Many people who do compulsively lie are aware of what they're doing and cannot stop.
Other psychological disorders/coping mechanisms are not judged by others so much, as this particular manifestation can affect many other people adversely.
Having said this, laughing at people for this reason (or any) is cruel.

I have yet to meet a compulsive liar who has consciously chosen to be one.

Quick Reply