The Student Room Group

Sunday times - highest paid graduates

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ish90an
Subject and industry wise breakdowns would be more interesting. The former would take out the London allowance and give an insight into economically beneficial degrees. Also, why is Dundee the highest Scottish university on that list ahead of both Edinburgh and Glasgow?

I'd have thought Aberdeen would have been pipe lining grads into the oil industry... but maybe the oil industry doesn't pay silly money for know-nothing fresh graduates?
Reply 21
Original post by Joinedup
I'd have thought Aberdeen would have been pipe lining grads into the oil industry... but maybe the oil industry doesn't pay silly money for know-nothing fresh graduates?

I am not sure about that, from purely anecdotal evidence I've seen graduates getting paid quite well in the oil industry, though I think contacts and experience do count for more than many other sectors.
It is interesting, but as somebody has already said it would be more interesting to see the long term average wages.
It's basically the London unis are the highest paid because there are the most graduate jobs in London, and the salaries are higher. I think that's probably why LSB and Greenwich are higher than say, York, Exeter St Andrews.
I think this is a more important league table for telling you about which unis have the best graduate prospects. It shows the universities which are most targeted by the top 100 graduate employers
http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/GraduateMarket09.pdf

1. Manchester
2. London (UoL and Imperial)
3. Warwick
4. Cambridge
5. Oxford
6. Bristol
7. Durham
8. Nottingham
9. Bath
10. Leeds
11. Birmingham
12. Edinburgh
13. Sheffield
14. Loughborough
15. Southampton
16. Cardiff
17. Glasgow
18. Newcastle
19. York
20. St Andrews
Original post by Joinedup

Robert Gordon does a much better job of putting its graduates into the oil & gas than Aberdeen.

Oil & gas pays extremely well, but its recruitment focuses almost solely on engineers. For every engineering graduate Aberdeen or Robert Gordon produces that earns 30K+ in their first job, there's usually a lot more arts and humanities graduates who will earn very little with said degree in the North East. That then drags the average down.

Original post by ish90an
I am not sure about that, from purely anecdotal evidence I've seen graduates getting paid quite well in the oil industry, though I think contacts and experience do count for more than many other sectors.

But it is much easier to find work as a graduate in that industry if you have a degree from Aberdeen, Dundee, Heriot Watt, Imperial, Robert Gordon or Strathclyde (plus a few other English unis that also have good links with that industry) because those are the best known universities in that sector and thus the most targeted.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by her
It would be even more great if they done one for the course. For example Law, the highest paid students that graduated from a Law degree where from the following universities. That would be great man :rolleyes:

Not sure of the link but someone once posted a spreadsheet of salaries of all the courses that published figures. I remember economics at cambridge being top averaging 41,000 then economics at lse which was 37,000.
Reply 27
Surprised about Dundee.
Reply 28
Original post by Sternumator
Not sure of the link but someone once posted a spreadsheet of salaries of all the courses that published figures. I remember economics at cambridge being top averaging 41,000 then economics at lse which was 37,000.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/article6832285.ece?token=null&offset=0&page=1

They have deleted, the other tables but .. if you are interested in Economics http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/1765/econsal.png
Reply 29
Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi
I think this is a more important league table for telling you about which unis have the best graduate prospects. It shows the universities which are most targeted by the top 100 graduate employers

I don't even think that is the best (league table) indicator for a graduates job prospects to be honest. Too many other factors to take into consideration.
Reply 30
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Those amounts seem sort of low, to be honest :lolwut:

Welcome to the real world. Not TSR's little fantasy about getting starting wages of £40k.
I am the only person to notice that the given link only takes into account salaries of over £20600? People commenting on the "average" are looking at the wrong data.
Reply 32
You're shocked that working in London will earn you more money?
Reply 33
I'm surprised that Oxbridge isn't in 1st and 2nd place.
Reply 34
It's not particularly surprising to be honest. It'd be more surprising if salaries were based on achievement or some other idealistic end.

Not really. For example, Manchester (where I incidentally go) is the biggest campus university in Western Europe, so it makes sense that top employers are going to focus on such a place where the supply [of fairly decent students] is highest -- that doesn't mean that they accept the greatest number of students [in proportion to the total student body] from Manchester, however. In other words, they may only take a few fish from a big pond like Manchester, but many fish from a smaller pond like the LSE: the mere size of Manchester, however, means that it's worth the while of lots of employers pitching up their rods there, if I stick with the metaphor.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 36

It is quite a revealing report as well and demonstrates the disparity between the graduate prospects figures used to big up certain universities and the ground reality of their perception by top employers as opposed to the more traditional places.
Reply 37
You have to appreciate that having vet, medical and dental schools will push a university up a table (high % grad employment + high starting salary) - similarly having strong departments in subjects like enginerring, economics etcetera are likely to push the average up. There is likely to be a big gap between specific subjects at a university. And as others have said, the proportion of grads at QMUL say working in London/Southern England will be higher - meaning the average salary will rise.

The first two aren't a massive surprise, they are both faitly niche - LSE focuses on a small number of social sciences - and it's flagship course economics has a v. high starting salary. Imperial is a science & engineering university - science & enginerring students tend to earn more money. Plus, they are both in London.
Original post by ish90an
Subject and industry wise breakdowns would be more interesting. The former would take out the London allowance and give an insight into economically beneficial degrees. Also, why is Dundee the highest Scottish university on that list ahead of both Edinburgh and Glasgow?

Because Dundee is a smaller Uni but does have a lot of Medical students. Therefore its average is boosted by the higher doctor starting salary than at the other two, where although they have a lot of medics....they have a lot of History of Art etc dragging the average down.
Reply 39
Original post by her
is there one for law?

Sorry I never saved the law table image.
What universities are you interested in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending