The Student Room Group

Why did America get away with bombing Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

Just wondering

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
1) Because it was seen as the most viable solution to the problem that was, at the time, Japan.
2) They were on the winning side.
3) Nuclear weapons were not seen to be such a bad thing 70 years ago.
4) Because it's America. I mean who is going to challenge them, Italy?

Sad but true.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Because the only other option (an invasion of Japan) would have been much more costly for both sides.
Reply 3
Because they setup Dolphin and Whale with this doctored image

Reply 4
The reason they got away with it was opposite the reason Germany didn't get away with the holocaust......America was on the winning side.

That and it would have cost more lives to invade Japan, whose troops were just as fanatical if not more fanatical than the SS of Germany.
Reply 5
Original post by Sani-Insanity
Just wondering

Nuclear weapons and the use of them wasnt such a issue 70 years ago.

Plus, the US believed that the invasion of mainland Japan would cost them 1 million lives.

Finally, they won! :smile:
Reply 6
The world was desensitised to violence. Remember Hiroshima happened at the end of WW2, when millions had already died.

The bombing of Hiroshima cemented America's place as the new strongman on the world stage - no other country had technology approximating the a-bomb.
Original post by Kiwiguy
Nuclear weapons and the use of them wasnt such a issue 70 years ago.

Plus, the US believed that the invasion of mainland Japan would cost them 1 million lives.

Finally, they won! :smile:

LOL that's such a lie. (Not your lie, a lie the USA has propagated for the last 70 odd years to legitimise their actions).
Reply 8
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
LOL that's such a lie. (Not your lie, a lie the USA has propagated for the last 70 odd years to legitimise their actions).

Either way. American won. And the japs were nuked. End of really.
Reply 9
It was the least costly option for both sides. If they hadn't dropped the bombs and forced Japan to surrender unconditionally then millions of Japanese would have starved to death, and that is before any invasion. It was American aid that saved Japan from starvation after the surrender.
Reply 10
But seriously the long term effects of it meant even people who survived the effect of the actual blast would die from the radiation and black rain. I realise in war you need to be quite ruthless at times but the bombings were so extreme it wasn't even considered as a war crime?

It just really angers me at how easily they got away with it. Because of America we know have the most lethal weapon known to man. Great!!
Reply 11
**** you dolphin and **** youuuuuuuuuu whale.
Reply 12

Well you only have to look at battles such as Iwo Jima or Okinawa to see how fanatical the Japanese were in defending their territory. An invasion of Japan would probably have been horrific.
(edited 13 years ago)
Why single out Hiroshima and Nagasaki when the carpet bombing of cities was a strategy widely used by both sides during the war?
Reply 14
on a more serious note, the entire population of japan were indoctrinated to fight the invading americans, children in schools were taught to charge troops with spears etc.

the bombings, though horrific, no doubt saved many lives on both sides.
This is so stupid. Speak to any Japanese person, and you won't find a single bit of resentment in them. If they can get over it, why can't the stupid extreme left wing everywhere else get over it?!

edit. Firstly, why the neg if you're not going to give me your opinion? I'll explain what I know as fact a bit more clearly for you, just so that you understand ^_^

In Japan, nobody likes the stance they took during WWII. The same way that Germans HATE nazis, and don't even think of themselves as being descendants of them. Thus, in Japan, people are of the opinion that anything that helped them get away from the brain-washed state that they were, and closer to the major world power and cultural paradise that they are now, is and was a good thing.

Now your turn.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Because it was for the "greater good" or some sh**. I too am interested in this question.

Why do you think they did it?

Original post by ExcessNeo
Because they setup Dolphin and Whale with this doctored image

LOL I swear this is from South Park?
Reply 17
Original post by rich2606
Why single out Hiroshima and Nagasaki when the carpet bombing of cities was a strategy widely used by both sides during the war?

I emphasise them as they were the largest and had the most horrific effects.
Original post by Curzon
Well you only have to look at battles such as Iwo Jima or Okinawa to see how fanatical the Japanese were in defending their territory. An invasion of Japan would probably have been horrific.

Assuming ofc it would have gotten to that point.

The invasion of mainland Japan was proposed for Nov 1, the bombs were dropped in August; there was a strong chance (which the US gov knew) that the Japs wouldn't have made it that long anyway.

Sorry, I will happily elaborate on all this alot more later, not at home atm.
Reply 19
Why would America develop a weapon like that and then hold back when there was still a war on? - you can bet your bottom the Japanese empire would have nuked the crap of America if they'd got to the A bomb first.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending