The Student Room Group

Are these good As subjects to pick for a career in medicine?

Maths
Chemistry
Biology
Economics :colondollar:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by MVA07
Maths
Chemistry
Biology

Yes; nothing wrong with economics. UCL and Peninsula will give you a slight preference for medicine if you have a non-science subject like economics.
Reply 2
By having biology and chemistry and another sciencey subject (maths) you are keeping your options open for just about every medical school in the UK. economics is also good because it shows you have an interest in another field too.
Reply 3
Original post by MVA07
Maths
Chemistry
Biology

Yes there fine. Some people on here may say add Further Maths and Physics or opt Economics for Further Maths. Nonetheless, you have very strong AS subjects and you should do what you want to do.

Also be sure not to get anything below a B grade or no medicine for you! I have a feeling that you will prefer Economics over all your subjects!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
If you're good at them all, sounds brilliant.
Reply 5
they're awesome choicesn and i also want to study medicine.
look at my sig...
Reply 6
Fair choices although my friends that have either History, English or an essay subject stand a better chance than those with just sciences.
Reply 7
Original post by MVA07
Maths
Chemistry
Biology

I would add Physics too, just to give you a little edge over the other applicants, of whom most will be applying with all 3 sciences. Economics will be very good to pick too.
MVA07
Stuff

Maths, Biology, Chemistry & Economics is fine. You've got Biology & Chemistry, which is the main thing. You've even got a third science, which pretty much leaves all options open (re. A Levels anyway). Otherwise, just do what you enjoy (and will do well in).

Ignore the last two posts - it's ill-informed subjective opinion. Your application will be assessed on it's individual merits.

JK471993
Fair choices although my friends that have either History, English or an essay subject stand a better chance than those with just sciences.

mir3a
I would add Physics too, just to give you a little edge over the other applicants, of whom most will be applying with all 3 sciences. Economics will be very good to pick too.

LOL at how contradictory they are :awesome:
Reply 9
Original post by MVA07
Maths
Chemistry
Biology

perfect choice

as long as you like them that is because you need three As at least and its not easy if you will hate going to class.

Bio and chem are a must and maths or physics is the best bet as the third as the fourth an essay subject or lanuage shows that you have the different skills that are needed in medicine that you cant develop fully in science and maths, I chose history and found that I can make a good well argued point because of it. Economics is a good choice because it is academically rigorous.

Some idiot said further maths<< one word "too"l if he bothered to look at any uni websites he would know that almost all say if maths is offered with further maths they wont both be counted. Work hard and good luck
Reply 10
I'm doing the same choices as you as well, currently in year 12. My first intentions were to study Biosciences but I have enjoyed economics SO much that I have changed my mind.

They are a good set of choices because they are very versatile. I plan on dropping either Biology or Chemistry at A2 and taking up Further Maths AS as well, so Economics is easily doable with your choices should you change your mind :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by tateco

Original post by tateco
I'm doing the same choices as you as well, currently in year 12. My first intentions were to study Biosciences but I have enjoyed economics SO much that I have changed my mind.

They are a good set of choices because they are very versatile. I plan on dropping either Biology or Chemistry at A2 and taking up Further Maths AS as well, so Economics is easily doable with your choices should you change your mind :smile:

By any chance was chemistry hard. I mean I enjoy chem, that's why i'm taking it. Is it totally different from GCSE's
Reply 12
Absolutely tip top :yy:

Original post by mir3a

:poo::poo::poo::poo::poo::poo::poo:
(edited 13 years ago)
Yes, they're fine :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by MVA07
By any chance was chemistry hard. I mean I enjoy chem, that's why i'm taking it. Is it totally different from GCSE's

GCSE chemistry is full of lies. Remember the nice electron configuration of 2,8,8,2? It doesn't exist; it's not real. A-level chemistry reteaches you everything from GCSE with the truth.
Reply 15
Original post by Cinqueta
GCSE chemistry is full of lies. Remember the nice electron configuration of 2,8,8,2? It doesn't exist; it's not real. A-level chemistry reteaches you everything from GCSE with the truth.

Well, that model works up until Potassium (i think??). It's just replaced with a different model - it's not exactly lies, just a simplification.
Reply 16
i dont know how to start a thread so just going to use this one :P hmmm im doing maths chemistry biology and psychology? do you think psychology is a good alevel for medicine becuase i heard many university's dont like it :s-smilie: HELPP
Reply 17
I am doing:
Biology
Chemistry
Geography
English Lang

Only cambridge med school wants 3 sciences. So would the others, that want 2 sciences, give any preferances to those who have 3 sciences?
Reply 18
If you have Bio and Chem and 2 other academic "respected" subjects like you've mentioned then you're perfectly fine. Doing economics is probably a good idea as you're doing something you find interesting and you're more likely to get the grade in as a result. It would be stupid to do Physics as some others suggested if you couldn't get the A grade you need in it as you found it stupidly hard or boring. :smile:
Original post by JK471993

Do they now. Please refrain from talking :poo:

Original post by mir3a

Sigh.

OP: subjects are fine

Quick Reply

Latest