The Student Room Group

What are the recommended teaching hours a week for as in Maths?

I am a new teacher and i was wondering if 4 hours a week of teaching is enough to cover the 3 modules in as level? Its only myself teaching. Do you have to have two teachers to teach the course?
Any replies would be helpful, Thanks.:biggrin:
Reply 1
Over 9000!
I have 4.5 hours a week, I reckon you could get by on 4 if the group was of a good ability.
We had 5 hours a week contact time, and 3 hours a week for further maths.

We had 2 teachers as well, one for pure and one for applied, ime was split about 2/3 1/3 respectively
Reply 4
Thanks for the help guys.
Im just about finished c1 and going onto c2 in january, hoping to be finished that before midterm in march and then FP1 till easter and hoping revision for 2 weeks when we come back for the first exam on 18th of may. Does this seem realistic?
Original post by rachelxy
Im just about finished c1 and going onto c2 in january, hoping to be finished that before midterm in march and then FP1 till easter and hoping revision for 2 weeks when we come back for the first exam on 18th of may. Does this seem realistic?

This is ringing all sorts of alarm bells for me. What specification are you teaching and more importantly why don't you know the answers to these questions?
Reply 6
I am a new teacher and i was wondering if 4 hours a week of teaching is enough to cover the 3 modules in as level? Its only myself teaching. Do you have to have two teachers to teach the course?
Any replies would be helpful, Thanks.:biggrin:

I have 6 hours of maths per week; 4 for C1 and 2 for S1. After the C1 exam in January then 4 hours a week for C2 and 2 hours a week for S1, with the C2 and S1 exams in June.
Reply 7
I am a student and my I get 4 hours a week and it is too much because my teacher teaches SOOOOOOO SLOW! I had to completely self teach myself M1, D1 and most of C3 and C4 in order to be ready for the exam but it is definitely possible with four hours a week if you keep to a reasonable pace.
Reply 8
Original post by Mr M
This is ringing all sorts of alarm bells for me. What specification are you teaching and more importantly why don't you know the answers to these questions?

Im teaching from the edexcel specification. Im the first teacher to teach maths A levels in the school. Any advice?

You've had pretty well half of the teaching time before the exams in May, so if you've only just finished one of 3 modules, this worries me.
Reply 10
tell me about it, will i put in more hours or what do you think? any advice would help.
tell me about it, will i put in more hours or what do you think? any advice would help.

Who's teaching the applied modules?
Im teaching from the edexcel specification. Im the first teacher to teach maths A levels in the school. Any advice?

I hope you realise that you are teaching GCE Pure Mathematics and not GCE Mathematics and that the units you have selected cannot be encashed for an AS grade.

I'm not sure I believe you are a teacher at all. I don't think any school sixth form would survive if it didn't offer A Level mathematics as an option or that a qualified teacher would seek advice about her planning from TSR users.
Reply 13
Mr.M,

I appreciate your input Mr.M but try and stick to what im asking, im looking for advice and not your opinion. As you see below that in fact you can cash in FP1 for an AS grade.

Edexcel is modifying its specification slightly for the 2008 reform, and it will be available to students taking the A-level from January and summer 2009 onwards. There has been a lot of rearrangement between FP1, FP2 and FP3, making FP1 an AS unit and reliant on C2 only (unlike in the post-2004 reform FP1, which was still A2 and reliant on C4); this enables the Further Maths A-level to be taught concurrently with the Maths A-level, as well as being able to teach the whole of Maths A-level before the Further Maths A-level (which was virtually compulsory prior to this reform). FP2 and FP3 have had major changes amongst themselves too. The dependency chart for the pure units in the new Edexcel specification now resembles a cross between the current AQA and OCR (A) specifications (see above) - FP1-as-AS, either FP2 or FP3 compulsory for A2 Further Maths, no FP4. As for the Decision units, some D1 material has moved to D2 for balance - specifically flows in networks and the Simplex algorithm for linear programming.

Thank you Mr. M if you have any other "opinions" please try to resist.
(edited 13 years ago)
Thank you Mr. M if you have any other opinions please try to "resist".

Well I will try once more as, if you really are a teacher, reading this might save your neck. Page 7 and 8.

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20New%20GCE/UA024850%20GCE%20in%20Mathematics%20issue%202%20180510.pdf
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending