The Student Room Group

What new things have you experienced at uni? Fess up!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by im so academic
Thank God the fees are going up if they are going to deter certain "students" from roaming free and engaging in hedonistic pursuits. I thought university was supposed to be a time where you pursue an academic education in your chosen subject.

How wrong was I...

Fair enough, I understand that student life is important; but for not one reason with regards to education in the OP's list makes me thing that the OP is going to university for the wrong reasons.

Anyone that goes to university and hates the work that they do makes me think - why are you even there in the first place?

:sigh:

To be fair she makes no reference to what university she goes to or how well she is doing academically, so your assuming a bit much.
Im a girl btw...

-Learnt to ski
-learnt to pull interesting conversations out of my own ass in times of need with randomers.
-The inability to go to bed for the night before 12pm
-Independence.
-Snogging 6 guys PER NIGHT on nights out (no joke)....no. of night out = about 10= ~60 guys snogged lol, yes people say I'm a slut. But am a virgin.
-Making up new combinations of going out outfits from a well used wardrobe
-Good cramming skills jus before an exam
-Acting aloof and nonchalant to be cool
-Coming up with nice but casual outfits everyday.
Reply 82
I have tried so many new things it is hard to list them all so i will list a selcect fave few:
- went to a 3rd year house party not even knowing anyone inside the house
- went in drunk into a practical session
- slept through all my lectures (one days worth)
- learnt that im a really bad cook and you can burn baked beans!
- partied until 7.30 in the morning then went to a 9am lecture
- woke up in a bed with four other people
- stayed up all night doing coursework for the deadline the next day
- revised for a test whilst in a lecture
- learnt the joy of trolly rides
- rode on a street cleaner

there are so many crazy things to do in uni - and just because you party hard doesnt mean you dont work hard. I do a very demanding course and so far in the 9 assessments i have had a have only had 2 below 70% (the mark needed for a first) so dont say that you cant do both. Most people commenting are doing a-levels anyways which is very very different t.o uni
Original post by Billydodger
Im a girl btw...

-Learnt to ski
-learnt to pull interesting conversations out of my own ass in times of need with randomers.
-Independence.
-Snogging 6 guys PER NIGHT on nights out (no joke)....no. of night out = about 10= ~60 guys snogged lol, yes people say I'm a slut. But am a virgin.

Inane....
Original post by AskMeAnything
Inane....

Why exactly?

haha you're not even at Uni....and your Unis are **** tbh. Im at Edinburgh getting 70% + so FUUUU Ill enjoy myself!
Im a girl btw...

-Learnt to ski
-Independence.

You've only had 10 nights out?! I go out 3 times a week!
Reply 86
Why can't you accept that there are individuals who aren't as "liberal" as you?

Liberal does not necessarily better.

You're an example of an close-minded person.

FYI, economically I'm conservative.
And I'm fine with people having conservative views, it's only a problem when they try to impose their views onto others.
If someone made a thread about how they're going to not going to engage in premarital sex I wouldn't be offended or feel a need to reply, unless they started insulting those who didn't.
And name one time where being liberal isn't a bad thing.
IDK why I'm bothering replying to you tbh since the last time I did you didn't bother replying last time I bothered, when you were quite clearly proven wrong- at least have the dignity to accept that you're wrong or that you need to rethink your position.
As a woman who's an advocator of education you just can't be against libertarianism, simple as. Do you have any idea how hard these 'left-wing-nutheads' had to fight for people like you and me to simply have the opportunity for education?
I mean. Why am I replying to you? You've not refuted anything I've said. You say I have a hard time accepting people aren't always as liberal as me, but the only reason I'm replying is because some people quite clearly can't accept others are more liberal and have no problem in dragging down someone's self-esteem in order to make themselves feel more comfortable- disgusting imo.
Everything I said in the post still stands and nothing's changed, tbh. You're all parasites on someone's self-esteem, frankly. There was no need to go so far as to use words like, 'slag', 'slut' and whore. A helpful, 'You might regret this in a couple of years, maybe take into account how views of sex tend to change with age', etc. etc. Being told you're a slag/slut/whore isn't going to do anything other than make her hate herself for nothing :angry:. Arrrgh. I'm so mad.
EMZ.
That's what you think. Ever thought that other people may think differently?

haha. have you?
Original post by greeneyedgirl
You've only had 10 nights out?! I go out 3 times a week!

:O Ok...
1. How do you afford that?
2.Are you not in any sports clubs you have to be up early in the morning for? I have to be at Lacrosse practice at 7am on Sat and Sun.
3. Whats your degree and where do you do it?
4.Have you not put on loads of weight?
Why exactly?

haha you're not even at Uni....and your Unis are **** tbh. Im at Edinburgh getting 70% + so FUUUU Ill enjoy myself!

Except that for my subjects my unis are higher for philo and higher or comparable for politics? :rolleyes:

I found your 'new experiences' absolutely boring and inane. Figuring out how to put new outfits together are two of them, and the others are about as interesting. The only one I'd put on my own list out of those is learning to ski!
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm still waiting for some chav to say 'foam-party'
*CRINGE*
Im a girl btw...

-Learnt to ski
-Independence.

You've experienced, twice, learning to dress yourself? :confused:
:O Ok...
1. How do you afford that?
2.Are you not in any sports clubs you have to be up early in the morning for? I have to be at Lacrosse practice at 7am on Sat and Sun.
3. Whats your degree and where do you do it?
4.Have you not put on loads of weight?

1. Very easily
Pre-drink = Bottle of wine £2.29
Club entry = Get there for free entry or guestlist
Drinks at clubs = 5 drinks, £1 a drink, £5
Taxis = Either walk (20 min walk max) or £1 per taxi (share with people)
So £10 on an night out
£30 for nights out for the week

2. Nope. Ski club and going to the gym doesn't really have set times. Earliest lecture is 11am

3. Eng Lit, Eng Lang and Sociology at Glasgow

4. No
1. Very easily
Pre-drink = Bottle of wine £2.29
Club entry = Get there for free entry or guestlist
Drinks at clubs = 5 drinks, £1 a drink, £5
Taxis = Either walk (20 min walk max) or £1 per taxi (share with people)
So £10 on an night out
£30 for nights out for the week

2. Nope. Ski club and going to the gym doesn't really have set times. Earliest lecture is 11am

3. Eng Lit, Eng Lang and Sociology at Glasgow

4. No

Haha...things are so much more expensive in Edinburgh. And I bet i've got a hell of a lot more contact hours...Sigh
Haha...things are so much more expensive in Edinburgh. And I bet i've got a hell of a lot more contact hours...Sigh

Well thinks can be more expensive in Glasgow, you just need to know where to go.

And I have 13 contact hours a week, plus a lot of outside reading I have to do. I just have a healthy work/life balance
Well thinks can be more expensive in Glasgow, you just need to know where to go.

And I have 13 contact hours a week, plus a lot of outside reading I have to do. I just have a healthy work/life balance

Nah, I would just say you're doing a bit of doss subject and achieving mediocre success. Which obviously you're OK with or you wouldn't be at Glasgow in the first place. Also, you're only part of the ski club, not even team. So basically you haven't been participating in extra curricular activities.
At the end of the day it's totally your choice to spend £30 a week on empty calories and little else to show for it. I've probably spent a lot less than that on my Lacrosse team, Netball team, ski club, sailing club or badminton club....not to mention my societies. Im sure you're just as happy as me now, with the choices you've made. But will you still be a few years down the line?
Nah, I would just say you're doing a bit of doss subject and achieving mediocre success. Which obviously you're OK with or you wouldn't be at Glasgow in the first place. Also, you're only part of the ski club, not even team. So basically you haven't been participating in extra curricular activities.
At the end of the day it's totally your choice to spend £30 a week on empty calories and little else to show for it. I've probably spent a lot less than that on my Lacrosse team, Netball team, ski club, sailing club or badminton club....not to mention my societies. Im sure you're just as happy as me now, with the choices you've made. But will you still be a few years down the line?

Ahem, actually I'm majoring in English Language and it is not a doss subject. Plus Glasgow is considered one of the best English Language departments in the UK. I haven't even mentioned my success before but I had no idea full marks is known as mediocre now.

Yes I'm only part of the club not the team because I decided not to try out for team. I'm also part of CU, English Lit Soc, Zumba, Scottish Dance plus of course going to the gym.

Little else to show for it? I have great friends, awesome memories, some amazing new bands who I like now. Yeah I think I'll be happy to have those a few years down the line.
Reply 97
xxx
(edited 11 years ago)
Ahem, actually I'm majoring in English Language and it is not a doss subject. Plus Glasgow is considered one of the best English Language departments in the UK. I haven't even mentioned my success before but I had no idea full marks is known as mediocre now.

Yes I'm only part of the club not the team because I decided not to try out for team. I'm also part of CU, English Lit Soc, Zumba, Scottish Dance plus of course going to the gym.

Little else to show for it? I have great friends, awesome memories, some amazing new bands who I like now. Yeah I think I'll be happy to have those a few years down the line.

Ok ok! I was only trying to help! Just saying it might be an idea to save your £30 a week for when you graduate and end up on Job seeker's/waitressing

Ok ok! I was only trying to help! Just saying it might be an idea to save your £30 a week for when you graduate and end up on Job seeker's/waitressing

When I graduate there are actually multiple career paths I can go down. Waitressing is not one I'm going down. I pity you if you think that humanities have no career prospects.

Quick Reply

Latest