The Student Room Group

Issue Report Biology AS help!!

Hi I have to do my issue report for biology edexcel AS level which is something like 20% of my overall grade. Please could you suggest some good topics to do with sufficient information in terms of research so that I can get full marks??
:confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well what area are you aloud to do it in, anything in Biology? what are you interested in? What other a-levels do you do? Play to your strengths
Reply 2
Original post by beebee118
Hi I have to do my issue report for biology edexcel AS level which is something like 20% of my overall grade. Please could you suggest some good topics to do with sufficient information in terms of research so that I can get full marks??

Have a llok at the mark scheme,if you are doing Edexcel & have their revision guid e,it is outlined pretty well,easy to understand with egs.
http://www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleges.co.uk/Secondary/GlobalPages/2009RevisionGuides/2009RevisionGuides/EdexcelRevisionguides.aspx
I think the examiner reports have some topics,suggestions might be in the specification or some doc on the exam board s website.

Do it about something you are interested in & see if it has enough info that you can find about it or ask your teacher/older yrs,what they did it on.
Which area are you interested in from this list & I will give you egs

Ecology
Conservation
Health
Genetics
Microbiology
Oncology (cancer)
Biodiversity
Resource Management

tPlease quote 4 a reply.
Nutrition
Biotechnology
Reply 3

GMOs, genetic screening, organic food, sustainable farming...that's all I can think of right now.
Reply 4
Original post by hissyfit

I was thinking of changing to GMO fr my Issue Report.Do you have any suggestions to what question I could do.The only suggestion I have in my course pack is the shelf life of a genetically modified tomato,which tbh I think sounds v.boring :yawn:
Rep for any suggestions.Thanks
Sorry OP,I didn t want to steal your thread,but making a new1 seems kinda stupid.

You could write about the benefits (higher yields; drought-resistant etc), and recent things in the news. Also the "controversy" possibly mentioning organic food?
Reply 5
Have a llok at the mark scheme,if you are doing Edexcel & have their revision guid e,it is outlined pretty well,easy to understand with egs.
http://www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleges.co.uk/Secondary/GlobalPages/2009RevisionGuides/2009RevisionGuides/EdexcelRevisionguides.aspx
I think the examiner reports have some topics,suggestions might be in the specification or some doc on the exam board s website.

Do it about something you are interested in & see if it has enough info that you can find about it or ask your teacher/older yrs,what they did it on.
Which area are you interested in from this list & I will give you egs

Ecology
Conservation
Health
Genetics
Microbiology
Oncology (cancer)
Biodiversity
Resource Management

tPlease quote 4 a reply.
Nutrition
Biotechnology

thanks i would be interested in..
Health
Genetics
Microbiology
Oncology (cancer)

but would there be enough info available on the web and also would be easy topic to get good marks in? could you suggest a topic in one of these areas?
Reply 6
thanks i would be interested in..
Health
Genetics
Microbiology
Oncology (cancer)

but would there be enough info available on the web and also would be easy topic to get good marks in? could you suggest a topic in one of these areas?

I have no idea about if you will find enough info,ask your teacher.From looking @ past posts on the Issue Report,common disease seem like a good choice.

Health -benefits of exercise in the disabled
-Are "SUPERFOODS" really superfoods?
-The nature / effects of superbugs eg.H1N1
-Advances in CHD
-Immunisation in children
-some ppl did diabetes,there s also schizophrenia medication 4 it...(in Edexcel rev guide)

Genetics

genes,disease+life expectancy

Microbiology
microbes,disease transmittions,epidemics,pandemics (specific egs.)
role of microbes in landfills

Oncology (cancer)

Breakthrough in diagnosis or treatment for specific and or generalised tumours.

Have you heard anything recent on GM crops,food......
Hope it helps.I think there are some sample Reports on the Edexcel website but I can t access them. :sad:

The Edexcel website doen t seem to work for some reason,just when you need it eh?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
I have no idea about if you will find enough info,ask your teacher.From looking @ past posts on the Issue Report,common disease seem like a good choice.

Health -benefits of exercise in the disabled
-Are "SUPERFOODS" really superfoods?
-The nature / effects of superbugs eg.H1N1
-Advances in CHD
-Immunisation in children
-some ppl did diabetes,there s also schizophrenia medication 4 it...(in Edexcel rev guide)

Genetics

genes,disease+life expectancy

Microbiology
microbes,disease transmittions,epidemics,pandemics (specific egs.)
role of microbes in landfills

Oncology (cancer)

Breakthrough in diagnosis or treatment for specific and or generalised tumours.

Have you heard anything recent on GM crops,food......
Hope it helps.I think there are some sample Reports on the Edexcel website but I can t access them. :sad:

The Edexcel website doen t seem to work for some reason,just when you need it eh?

nope i havent heard anything on GM food but it think that sounds sort of boring to do :smile: have you done an issue report for your as?
Reply 8
apparently stem cells is not a good 1 ,so is drug legalisation
Reply 9
I ve just started seeing what I could do,it sounds boring,but thing is I m also doing this for french ,so it would save me time researching things all over again.

See John Locke s advice here :http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=23893725&highlight=issue%20report
(I m going through the old threads on issue reports at the moment)

ooh i see. if you do find any useful info on any of the topics i said or on how to structure the issue report, could you post them please? because im struggling to find anything :s-smilie:
Reply 10
apparently stem cells is not a good 1 ,so is drug legalisation

do you mean it IS a good one??
Reply 11
do you mean it IS a good one??

Both should be avoided ie.it is NOT a good idea
Lots of ppl do malaria,so avoid that one.

Some more tips: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=22626831&highlight=issue%20report
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
ooh i see. if you do find any useful info on any of the topics i said or on how to structure the issue report, could you post them please? because im struggling to find anything :s-smilie:

Structure- can be a poster, pwpt presentation,website,newspaper article as long a you include the relevent pts needed,see criteria/student guide (which is prob on Edexcel website)which I can t check for now...
Layout- I would stick to the layout ie the order of the criteria,makes it easier 4 examiner 2 tick off/correct

word limit-1,500-2,000 Word Processed
Ask your teacher or some1 on here 2 send it 2 u as I can t ,sorry.I only have it on paper +it would take me ages to type up...
Reply 13
Structure- can be a poster, pwpt presentation,website,newspaper article as long a you include the relevent pts needed,see criteria/student guide (which is prob on Edexcel website)which I can t check for now...
Layout- I would stick to the layout ie the order of the criteria,makes it easier 4 examiner 2 tick off/correct

word limit-1,500-2,000 Word Processed
Ask your teacher or some1 on here 2 send it 2 u as I can t ,sorry.I only have it on paper +it would take me ages to type up...

could you not scan the paper onto your computer and then attach it maybe? if its not too much to ask :smile:
Reply 15
could you not scan the paper onto your computer and then attach it maybe? if its not too much to ask :smile:

I thought of that ,but don t have access to a scanner sorry.The best thing u can do is check Edexcel website regularly ,ask teacher or ask here 4 some1 to send it 2 u.
Reply 16

hang on I just had an idea,pm me your email & I will send you some sort of copy that I have
You are really lucky!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
hang on I just had an idea,pm me your email & I will send you some sort of copy that I have
You are really lucky!

oh cool i sent it to you :smile:

thanks a bunch :biggrin: x
Reply 18
I did mine on cannabis... oh, to be 16 :rolleyes:
Reply 19
Original post by jwn09
I did mine on cannabis... oh, to be 16 :rolleyes:

ohh okay did you do well? if so could you give me some tips?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending