The Student Room Group

people who argue with you for the sake of trying to look academic?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Picaa
Yeah I know I'm so uncool.. I try to use academic methods wherever possible to support my arguments, and that SO doesn't belong here, this being a 'student' forum and all... LOL
I do try to improve myself though, by ditching class a third of the time and smoking marijuana just to try and win more friends among my obviously teenaged peer group.
:rolleyes:

Ok so you think you have me pegged as an underacheiving, weed- smoking douche who thinks it's uncool to try hard, which I'm really not, I've always been one of the outsiders that the popular kids think is really weird, It's just some people, who me and the OP have obviously both encountered lol, use every point in conversation as a chance to have a debate, and don't stop beating you down with their views until you 'agree' with them.

Incidentally, I deteste people who make fun of the few people who actually admit they like learning, and you really don't know anything about me, you made a snap judgemet and you were wrong.
Noticing this more and more recently. Arguing for the sake of arguing, generally some terrible point that they can't back out of, so they blither on and it just makes them look ridiculous.

Also people who argue for the sake of being 'controversial'. That infuriates me.
Original post by shinytoy
guys,

do you know any people where if you make a statement, they will argue and argue until they are blue in the face not becauuse they have a valid point they are trying to make, but just purely to try to look academic by creating then winning an argument?

its totally annoying and pointless

its the same type of people who will listen to the teacher in class, then try their hardest to ask the most complex question possible not because they have a question to ask but because they want to show off to everyone how bright they are.

does anyoen else find this totally irritating?

They're everywhere!
Similarly when people throw 'big words' into conversation to try to seem intelligent, in fact all of these traits seem to do the opposite to the desired effect. :colone:
Reply 63
Had a guy in my college class who'd do this who is now studying politics (obviously needs to study how to win an argument) at Uni'; he'd argue relentlessly against things, usually to do with how the Lib Dems would "change this country" and all that crap. I'd often counter it by throwing in complex and structured sentences which would leave him baffled due to not knowing the meaning of words used and then suddenly side with me.
Reply 64
How would society advance without intellectual debate? Sure the source of the argument may be negligible in terms of the "important" stuff, but have you considered that arguing over things that do not matter may be enjoyable just as a thought exercise? Y'know, for fun? I mean what's the point in playing video games against your mates when it's not important to topical things? Competitiveness is a part of human nature, people enjoy exercising their ability to rule over others; whether it be an argument over the best way to toast bread, or the tense situation in the middle-east, it's part of human nature and is fundamentally a good quality to have.
Reply 65
I've been told a few times that I do this, but always by people who I consider to be the worst, most arrogant culprits :s-smilie:. There was a channel 4 program on 4od about Seneca's philosophy of anger; suggesting that it's basically surprise that something didn't go your way. I think that's quite relevant in that some people just don't like or expect to be argued with. The most visibly negative reaction I've got is from a girl who insisting that the uni we attend (Brighton) was in the overall top 15. It blatantly isn't, and I really shouldn't have argued, but she turned completely ice cold over it when I disagreed. "What's your point, why are you disagreeing?", I don't know, because you're wrong? :s-smilie: Are people's feelings so fragile that they can't stand an argument?

I think if you analysed any aspect of human behaviour, you're going to find that there's a selfish reason behind it. Why did the OP post this thread? To get a kick out of being right? Just like the lightbulb guy.

I don't disagree that some people are really obnoxious about it, but the feeling behind an argument is a little subjective, maybe they don't mean it in that way.
Reply 66
Original post by shinytoy
guys,

do you know any people where if you make a statement, they will argue and argue until they are blue in the face not becauuse they have a valid point they are trying to make, but just purely to try to look academic by creating then winning an argument?

its totally annoying and pointless

its the same type of people who will listen to the teacher in class, then try their hardest to ask the most complex question possible not because they have a question to ask but because they want to show off to everyone how bright they are.

does anyoen else find this totally irritating?

YES, and I should have made a thread about this a long time ago! :angry::angry::angry::angry: Youtube is a prime example where you'll find imbeciles with no knowledge, but who feel the need to express their opinions effusively. They will argue even when confronted with your reasoned argument, evidence and knowledge, just because they wish to appear informed. It drives me mad, especially when they are contending such OBVIOUS things.
Reply 67
Yep... It's avoiding this kind of attitude that has made the internet a very dull place for me. :frown:
Reply 68
face to face - just invent some impressive sounding authority figures to back you up

"...actually Smegburger and Funkenstien totally discredited that methodology in their 2007 paper"

What's the worst that's going to happen? they run off to the internet to check the reference and you've got them for being a google jockey pesudo intellectual.
Original post by Profesh

xD
And they all seem to say "EXACTLY YOUR WRONG IM RIGHT THEIR YOU GO!"
well that's what I've seen anyway :tongue:
Sorry is this addressed to me? Or someone else lol
Original post by IndigoRockGirl
What, so everyone who goes to university has to be a pretentious douche? :rolleyes:

Well done. You didn't get my joke. You're as thick as I thought.
Reply 73
Know the sort and hate 'em
Original post by ritchie888
Well done. You didn't get my joke. You're as thick as I thought.

Obviously I got the 'joke', I assumed it was based on your actual beliefs.
You're just as douchey as I thought.
Original post by IndigoRockGirl
Obviously I got the 'joke', I assumed it was based on your actual beliefs.
You're just as douchey as I thought.

Its funny how some people on tsr insult each ohter then put a thumbs down on when someone replies back
Reply 76
I find this most commonly happens right here, on TSR. Everyone is so snobby, that they can't accept somebody else's opinion. They'll either try putting you down and persuade you into their way of thinking or leave a fat big neg for the most ridiculous of things, and one neg consequently leads to many other sheeps negging.
Original post by blueray
Its funny how some people on tsr insult each ohter then put a thumbs down on when someone replies back

yeah me too lol x
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 78
Maybe they're just trying to wind you up and obviously succeeding.

Takes two to argue. Just nod your head, agree with them, and then walk off smug in the knowledge that you are right regardless of what they think.
Arguing in itself is fun... unless it becomes pedantic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending