The Student Room Group

How do you motivate yourself?

Its like sometimes i can't be asked to do things which i can do, but can't because I can't motivate myself.
Just wondering how you people generally motivate yourself to get off your ass to complete the task in hand/what you want to do?

:colone:

Scroll to see replies

I have an iTunes playlist of upbeat tunes that I listened to whilst writing an essay. It made me feel a bit more energetic and less bored :yes:
Masturbate before everything you want to do. You get focused. True story :biggrin:
Original post by superman-lives
Masturbate before everything you want to do. You get focused. True story :biggrin:

So true. It is important to factor masturbation time into any plan or timetable.

If ****ing's not your thing, have a listen to this guy, sure to get you motivated:

I AM A LINK. CLICK ME.
(edited 13 years ago)
For me , i think. I have to get into uni and move out, otherwise i will be stuck in this so called house.
That motivates me enough.

You could say to yourself, right, when i finish doing so and so, i can do so and so (be it have food, watch film/tv or whatever)
Reply 5
I think of what would happen if I didn't do it. If the consequence isn't bad or serious I still don't do it.
Reply 6
Original post by TheGrandmaster
So true. It is important to factor masturbation time into any plan or timetable.

If ****ing's not your thing, have a listen to this guy, sure to get you motivated:

I AM A LINK. CLICK ME.

thanks nice link!
Reply 7
Well, I've been in deep trouble for not handing work before, so fear, really. I end up rushing my work at the last minute in a big panic, but at least it's done...
Reply 8
i find this is all i need right now.

Reply 9
The world is yours!
well..., what I do is think about everything I have failed in or something I didn't achieve as well in and see how I will improve the situation. For example, if I have done rubbish in a recent test, I think about it... see how it will effect me then I try to improve it. Usually does it for me :smile:
The consequences of failure are usually a good motivator...
Reply 12
captnibby1234
Just wondering how you people generally motivate yourself to get off your ass to complete the task in hand/what you want to do?

It is very difficult to motivate yourself to do something you genuinely do not want to do. To overcome this - I use the following:

- Consequences of not doing the action. If I fail to work hard then I will not achieve the desired qualifications which will help improve the quality of my life (in the most part).
- Light at the end of the road. I remember why I do what I do and the importance it has in helping me achieve the things I want to.
- Never quit, never die (figuratively speaking). If you want to do something so badly then you will force every bone in your body to do it despite how it makes you feel.

To motivate yourself to do things you do not wish to do it is best to start off small. Start by doing simple things like hoovering the house or washing the dishes and then move up to more beefy tasks like doing prolonged periods of revision.

The key thing is to never give up and always keep a track of how much you've done. Be strict with yourself and don't let up for an instant.

Eventually you will become so used to doing this that you can afford some leniency, but it will take awhile before you can afford yourself this privilege - so don't get soft on yourself. Self-pity is for the weak willed.

I hope this helps.

Darren
Reply 13
Motivational picture on as your desktop or in dashboard if you're on a mac. Like a uni that you really want to go to, or a house you really want to have. Something like that.
by thinking:
if i have to stay in this **** town another year, working in a crap job, living at home etc. i will kill myself, so need to revise to get out of here :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
I go to Mcdonalds and watch the guy flip burgers..Then i ponder to myself "Do i want to go to uni and earn 50 grand a year or flip burgers ".

That motivates me enough.
If its to do with school work, all I have to do is imagine what it'll be like if I get to write the letters Dr, before my name - usually does the trick for me.
Reply 17
Well I always set goals for myself and I'm planning my way to get there, and being a perfectionist that "planning" actually works, bcoz I cant stand failing them due to being a lazy ass :smile:
Also, check out this awesome motivational wallpaper....

Reply 19
I focus on the end product so when I was training for my first marathon, I visualised crossing the finish line on race day and getting my medal. When I was at uni, I focused on graduation.

Humans are generally motivated by the desire to seek pleasure or to avoid pain. In those examples I was motivated by pleasure but you can also motivate yourself through pain i.e. focus on the consequences of not doing X, Y or Z.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending