The Student Room Group

Edexcel Further Maths

Will i be able to study C2 and C3 at the same time? Or, do i have to complete C2 before I complete C3?
Reply 1
Original post by Daniel Morris
Will i be able to study C2 and C3 at the same time? Or, do i have to complete C2 before I complete C3?

What does this have to do with Further Maths? And you should do C2 before doing C3, makes concepts learnt in C3 alot easier to grasp.
Reply 2
Some parts of C3 are accessible without C2 knowledge, but some aren't. I self-taught C3 when I was doing C2, and decided after a week or so that it'd be a better idea to just accelerate through C2 and then start C3 from there -- I recommend this instead of trying to do C3 without having finished C2.
Reply 3
Original post by nuodai
Some parts of C3 are accessible without C2 knowledge, but some aren't. I self-taught C3 when I was doing C2, and decided after a week or so that it'd be a better idea to just accelerate through C2 and then start C3 from there -- I recommend this instead of trying to do C3 without having finished C2.

I'll be doing C3 along side C2 but, my C2 will be going at a slower rate. I'll be doing C3 and C4 along side the C2. I'll be spending half a year in one class doing C2 and half a year, in another class, doing C3 and C4.

I may self teach the C2 along with the C3 stuff. Just curious as to how hard it will be.
Reply 4
I'll be doing C3 along side C2 but, my C2 will be going at a slower rate. I'll be doing C3 and C4 along side the C2. I'll be spending half a year in one class doing C2 and half a year, in another class, doing C3 and C4.

I may self teach the C2 along with the C3 stuff. Just curious as to how hard it will be.

Are you accelerating through A-level Maths so you can do Further Maths next year, or something like that? That's what I did (I started doing it in January though). What I did was, in my C2 lessons, I'd just work through the book instead of following the pace of the class -- if the textbook is good enough, you'll probably have no problem in reading through the blarb to find out how to do the next set of exercises, and continue like that. Then, when I'd gone through C2, I started on C3, and then C4, again by reading through the textbook and trying exercises. I also accelerated through S1 so I could self-teach M1.

In terms of how hard it is, I found it really tough for two or three weeks, but then I got a feel for it and it got a lot easier. Self-teaching something after having been taught by a teacher for 12 years isn't that easy, but you might end up liking it :p:
Reply 5
Original post by nuodai
Are you accelerating through A-level Maths so you can do Further Maths next year, or something like that? That's what I did (I started doing it in January though). What I did was, in my C2 lessons, I'd just work through the book instead of following the pace of the class -- if the textbook is good enough, you'll probably have no problem in reading through the blarb to find out how to do the next set of exercises, and continue like that. Then, when I'd gone through C2, I started on C3, and then C4, again by reading through the textbook and trying exercises. I also accelerated through S1 so I could self-teach M1.

In terms of how hard it is, I found it really tough for two or three weeks, but then I got a feel for it and it got a lot easier. Self-teaching something after having been taught by a teacher for 12 years isn't that easy, but you might end up liking it :p:

Thank you very much. Will I need S1 in order to do M1? Next term I'll be doing C2, C3, C4, M1 and S1.
Reply 6
Thank you very much. Will I need S1 in order to do M1? Next term I'll be doing C2, C3, C4, M1 and S1.

No, you don't need S1 to do M1. I just found it easier to concentrate on one applied module at a time, but you could do both at once without any problems.
Reply 7
do c2 then do c3.....trust!
Reply 8
Original post by mir3a
What does this have to do with Further Maths? And you should do C2 before doing C3, makes concepts learnt in C3 alot easier to grasp.

Why did you -rep me?

EDIT: Did you think it was me that -repped your post? Because it wasn't :s-smilie:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by nuodai
Why did you -rep me?

EDIT: Did you think it was me that -repped your post? Because it wasn't :s-smilie:

oh crap very sorry!! I thought u neg repped me lol
Reply 10
Original post by nuodai
What I did was, in my C2 lessons, I'd just work through the book instead of following the pace of the class -- if the textbook is good enough, you'll probably have no problem in reading through the blarb to find out how to do the next set of exercises, and continue like that. Then, when I'd gone through C2, I started on C3, and then C4, again by reading through the textbook and trying exercises. I also accelerated through S1 so I could self-teach M1.

this is what im doing atm and its working all fine :smile: the only time i speak to my teacher would be if i get stuck on a question which rarely happens - otherwise i sit in lesson and just work through the chapters

I did this with Core 1 and finished it within a weeks worth of lessons
Did it with FP1 and got that done within september, im trying it with Core 2 at a more relaxed rate since i dont have much spare time with Jan exams coming up

do you think it'd be worth accelerating through C2 after January and start Core 3 and sit them both in June?? or would it be better to learn Core 3 over the summer and start Core 4 in September and sit them both in January?

this year im doing 6 units then 6 next year (C1 C2 M1 D1 S1 FP1 then C3 M3 M2 S2 FP2 C4 next year )
Reply 11
Original post by sohail.s
do you think it'd be worth accelerating through C2 after January and start Core 3 and sit them both in June?? or would it be better to learn Core 3 over the summer and start Core 4 in September and sit them both in January?

this year im doing 6 units then 6 next year (C1 C2 M1 D1 S1 FP1 then C3 M3 M2 S2 FP2 C4 next year )

Sit them when you like. If doing them both in January will mean you've got two weeks jam packed with exams, then it's maybe worth doing one or both of them in June instead (and vice versa). For me personally, I self-taught C3, C4 and M1 well in advance of the June exams, but I only sat C3 in the June, and then sat C4 and M1 (along with FP1, M2, S2) the following January.
Reply 12
Original post by nuodai
Sit them when you like. If doing them both in January will mean you've got two weeks jam packed with exams, then it's maybe worth doing one or both of them in June instead (and vice versa). For me personally, I self-taught C3, C4 and M1 well in advance of the June exams, but I only sat C3 in the June, and then sat C4 and M1 (along with FP1, M2, S2) the following January.

ah ok cheers

Quick Reply

Latest