The Student Room Group

Best way to get into Business at university?

Hey guys,

So I want to study Business at university but I know that it is extremely competitive. So, I was wondering what the best way to get into was? By just applying for straight Business or Business with a language? I don't know :s-smilie:
Reply 1
It's not competitive. If certain statistics show relatively large volumes of applicants, you can be sure that the quality is low.
Reply 2
Erm, straight business. Business with a language would probably be more competitive as the number of places will likely be significantly less.

Just make sure your A Levels are relevant, your grades are good and you get some work experience. Top that off with a good application and realistic choices and you'll be sorted.
Original post by kat2pult
Erm, straight business. Business with a language would probably be more competitive as the number of places will likely be significantly less.

Just make sure your A Levels are relevant, your grades are good and you get some work experience. Top that off with a good application and realistic choices and you'll be sorted.

work experience for business? right.. shows how much you know.
Reply 4
Original post by TheProdigy2k9
work experience for business? right.. shows how much you know.

I didn't say work experience for business, I said work experience.

OP, working with any company, or even a shop can relate well to your application. As long as you take a note of what makes a company successful or what you feel your work experience did well, your application will further show that you understand what business is all about.
Original post by Focus08

Original post by Focus08
It's not competitive. If certain statistics show relatively large volumes of applicants, you can be sure that the quality is low.

This.
Reply 6
It depends what course and where you are applying to for how competitive it is, however the majority of business courses arent that competitive. Just get the best grades you can, explain in your PS how doing this degree will help you in what you want to do, and get work experience in any field (I did an architects office, a primary school and admin in a drilling company). To be honest thats more than enough!

your A Levels dont even have to be that relevant, I did English Combined, Art and Communications, and I have had an offer for the marketing course at Northumbria which is pretty popular. Just make sure they know that studying the course will help you get to where you want to be
If you're applying to Oxford for E+M then yes it's competitive. If it's for a BA in Business at a university that finds itself consistently at the bottom of the league table then it's likely to be less so.

Just try and show a passion for the subject in your PS, with possibly even relevant work experience if you have any, and work hard to get decent grades.. :yy:
Reply 8
Original post by jeya.101
Hey guys,

So I want to study Business at university but I know that it is extremely competitive. So, I was wondering what the best way to get into was? By just applying for straight Business or Business with a language? I don't know :s-smilie:

Getting on the apprentice will really boost your Ucas application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending