The Student Room Group

Do black people have a natural gift for music and athletics?

Scroll to see replies

Ok no. Black people are no different from white or asian or whatever in their talent for music and sport. It just so happens that a lot of black folks especially in america are somewhat deprived. And it is harder for a poor deprived person to make a decent living than it is for someone in a better finacial and social situation. As a result the easiest way for deprived and poor people to get out of their economic troubles is through sport and music and other similar routes. As these talents don't need academic ability or money to be good at them (in most cases). That's probably why a lot more black students in america take advantage of the scholarship scheme in american colleges. Essentially talent is a good means to pay for a good education.

Also it is a more cultural thing in many black communities around the world. A prime example of this would be swimming (again especially in american). There are not a huge number of black professional swimmers. A lot of idiots claim it's because blacks have higher bone density (even if this were true, which it's not. It wouldn't be a significant amount more dense that it would make blacks bad swimmers). But infact it's because swimming professionaly is not a hugely popular sport within many black communities, but other sports are.
Reply 21
Original post by otilov
gift for music hahahahahhahahahaahaa

:laugh:
Most people say blacks have a 'natural gift for music' only because they fail to realise they themselves are trying so hard to be black.

I wouldn't say all black people have a gift for music. :pierre:
Original post by tieyourmotherdown
It's cos they got swag ofc.

But in all seriousness, athletics maybe. I think it'd be a bit daft to deny that black people and white people are genetically identical when it comes to running (I know it's all about the individual though, obviously), but in terms of music ... I doubt it. I haven't noticed black people being massively over represented in the charts etc. I know rap for example is dominated by black people, but equally rock is dominated by white people, and overall I don't really see any ethnicity over represented in the charts.

But most of the popular music today, was invented by black musicians in america- rock, rnb, blues, hip hop
(edited 13 years ago)
The music thing is down to the fact that soon after the abolition of slavery, the only real jobs black people could get in America aside from the really bad ones were in the entertainment industry, notably entertaining white folk with music, tap dancing, stand up routines (often involving self-deprecation of their race) etc. This carried on for a long time and has a strong cultural tradition with black people in America and spread via the media. I don't know about athletics, I think the physique of black people are more suited to certain sports and less suited to others but it can't be applied to all black ethnic groups since they vary considerably like other races do.
Reply 25
Original post by yoyo462001
Well either way I'd like to know why nearly every single white person I know cannot stick to a rhythm when they dance.

Because white pop music is the product of several generations' attempts to 'do' black music (which is highly rhythmic). Pop music has a beat because it's a deep underlying belief in white people that black people are more natural, spontaneous ... closer to nature... you get the picture. Hence drums considered primitive, melodies considered sophisticated. To be 'cool' or 'hip' is always associated with black music, in white society. Just go into Starbucks and what are they playing? Some black music you've never even heard of.
Reply 26
Original post by KingofSpades
IQ is a measure of how competent you are at IQ tests, namely tests based on logical-mathematical propositions. It is not interchangeable with intelligence.

anyway, I didn't read all your post because my tea is ready. I will read it when I return.

why did you quote my if you had nothing much to say??

just wait until you can post fully:confused:
Original post by yoyo462001
Well either way I'd like to know why nearly every single white person I know cannot stick to a rhythm when they dance.

What about Michael Jackson?
Oh, wait.....

:teehee:
Original post by Law123mus
Ok no. Black people are no different from white or asian or whatever in their talent for music and sport. It just so happens that a lot of black folks especially in america are somewhat deprived. And it is harder for a poor deprived person to make a decent living than it is for someone in a better finacial and social situation. As a result the easiest way for deprived and poor people to get out of their economic troubles is through sport and music and other similar routes. As these talents don't need academic ability or money to be good at them (in most cases). That's probably why a lot more black students in america take advantage of the scholarship scheme in american colleges. Essentially talent is a good means to pay for a good education.

Also it is a more cultural thing in many black communities around the world. A prime example of this would be swimming (again especially in american). There are not a huge number of black professional swimmers. A lot of idiots claim it's because blacks have higher bone density (even if this were true, which it's not. It wouldn't be a significant amount more dense that it would make blacks bad swimmers). But infact it's because swimming professionaly is not a hugely popular sport within many black communities, but other sports are.

You can't just put it all 'cultural differences', particularly with sport. There are lots of poor white people throughout the world too and in the States.

'Research was carried out by the Copanhagen Institute of Sports Sciences on Kenyans from the Kalenjin trube of the Great Rift valley. It shows different genetics that help them store more oxygen in the body and lessen fatigue. This helped them to cope with hot conditons at high altitudes.'
I'm disappointed to see a lack of maturity in this question. So you see that it is partly biological, and you only need look the Olympic statistics to show that black people, particularly from some regions of Africa tend to outperform others at some forms of sport.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Lewroll
But most of the popular music today, was invented by black musicians in america- rock, pop, rnb, blues, hip hop

If I'm not mistaken, what we class as pop music originated in 1950's Britain, but that aside ...

I do know that a lot of popular genres did come about from black people in the USA, but ultimately it's very difficult to judge whether this makes them inherently better at music as, as somebody has already pointed out, after the abolition of (and during) slavery the massive social injustice meant there was little else to do. Plus it's probably more precise to look at the current music scene, and to my eyes there's no real over representation of any ethnicity overall.
Reply 30
Original post by Lewroll
But most of the popular music today, was invented by black musicians in america- rock, pop, rnb, blues, hip hop

The Beatles started pop, and Elvis Presely started rock.

I'm not saying black people less musically gifted, but they are not more musically gifted either.
Reply 31
I believe its a mixture of science and society. I know that West Africans have most of a Type 2 muscle (I said most, we all have some of each) which is good for short bursts of energy- 100/200m sprint etc. While East Africans and Europeans have most of Type 1 which is good for long bursts of energy-800/1500m etc. I don't know about music LOL- We all have different vocal chords, nobody is better at singing then any other race though.

Its not just that, a lot of black people in the Western World are not as well off as their white counterparts and athletics is a cheap and easy sport to get in to, as are people in the Caribbean and West Africa- athletics and football is easy to get in to. While Swimming for example is harder for someone to participate in who comes from a less well off economic background. Its not down to natural gift or genetics, there are so many other factors.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by tieyourmotherdown
It's cos they got swag ofc.

But in all seriousness, athletics maybe. I think it'd be a bit daft to deny that black people and white people are genetically identical when it comes to running (I know it's all about the individual though, obviously), but in terms of music ... I doubt it. I haven't noticed black people being massively over represented in the charts etc. I know rap for example is dominated by black people, but equally rock is dominated by white people, and overall I don't really see any ethnicity over represented in the charts.

well blacks are a minority in the western world, and they are over represented in music. they prob make up like 2% of the UK anyway.

as for music, well blacks dont just do rap.

some of the greatest music legends in the western world have been black, like michael jackson, smokey robinson, nine simone, beyonce, bobby brown, etc.

they didnt contribute just to rap, theres also jazz and soul music.
Reply 33
Certain things they are adapted to do better just like Caucasians are adapted to do other things. For example the reason black sprinters are so predominant and successful is something to do with their fast twitch muscle fibers being different to a white persons.
Yeah.

But you're not giving us enough credit. We also have a natural gift for stealing and worshipping 2pac.

Brb worshipping 2pac. :cyber:
Original post by No Man

I'm not saying black people less musically gifted, but they are not more musically gifted either.

"Its (rock musics) immediate origins lay in a mixing together of various black musical genres of the time, including rhythm and blues and gospel music; in addition to country and western" Wikipedia

I meant to say without those types of music, rock wouldnt have existed, Elvis developed these types of music
Original post by lovely_me
You can't just put it all 'cultural differences', particularly with sport. There are lots of poor white people throughout the world too and in the States.

'Research was carried out by the Copanhagen Institute of Sports Sciences on Kenyans from the Kalenjin trube of the Great Rift valley. It shows different genetics that help them store more oxygen in the body and lessen fatigue. This helped them to cope with hot conditons at high altitudes.'

I'm disappointed to see a lack of maturity in this question. So you see that it is partly biological, and you only need look the Olympic statistics to show that black people, particularly from some regions of Africa tend to outperform others at some forms of sport.

Lol and some studies also said that black people are the least intelligent race (race in this context is a disputed word, but I'll use it here anyway).

Not all studies are reliable or are free of bias:dontknow:
micheal jackson:biggrin:
Reply 38
Original post by No Man

Don't trip- common misconception among A LOT of people. Elvis did NOT start Rock. Elvis brought Rock to White audiences- it used to be called ''race'' music- white people didn't want their kids listening to it, only when Elvis, a white guy made it popular everyone loved it- hypocritical, I'm not suprised LOL. The first people who started singing Rock n Roll were Black.

Rock was created by Black Musicians- Blues and White Musicians- Country music alike. Lewroll is right, most music can trace itself back to Blues and Soul- created by Black Musicians.
Original post by No Man

No, the Beatles and Elvis all have significant influence from Black Musicians. ( as well as White)

They didn't start anything. Rock didn't just appear out the middle of nowhere when Elvis came along.

They may have popularised the form of music but they certainly didn't start it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending