The Student Room Group

Any Good Experiences Of Medlink?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Organ
A christmas present! :hugs: I do honestly feel for you :tongue:

This is why medlink are scum :mad:

Can't you say you have been involved in a serious acident or something - they might give you a full refund? :colone:

:emo: Don't pity me :frown: I know its a waste of money but seriously... I like never get anything for christmas! :colone: this is great for me.... 4 days away dossing with my friends. Its like one of those ridiculously expensive residentials for school... means nothing but are fun.

Im looking forward to it, we are celebrating my friends bday there. If I get a refund, I wont get anything for christmas in return :colone:
Reply 21
"You need to pay for medlink to motivate yourself to apply to medicine. Jesus"

I can't deny it was a brill time and seeing as a now have 3 interviews i cannot moan :smile:
Reply 22
You need to pay for medlink to motivate yourself to apply to medicine. Jesus.

Not going to lie it was a brill time and seeing as i now have 3 interviews i cannot moan :smile:
Reply 23
I liked it when I went, but could understand why some people think its a waste of money. There is some helpful stuff, and its always good to have on a personal statement because it shows you've really thought hard about studying it. (Though obvs there are other ways of showing that)

I thought Medsim was better (they still do that right?), a lot more practical stuff and hence a lot more fun. Plus we got to stroll around all weekend in scrubs which is always a bonus.
Really don't bother.
Original post by KitKat99

Original post by KitKat99
I can't deny it was a brill time and seeing as a now have 3 interviews i cannot moan :smile:

And yet they didn't even bother to teach you the difference between cause and coincidence.
Reply 26
Hey, I'm not saying that they are linked, just that i am happy and it was fun for the people & parties.
Reply 27
Original post by CWallace91
I liked it when I went, but could understand why some people think its a waste of money. There is some helpful stuff, and its always good to have on a personal statement because it shows you've really thought hard about studying it. (Though obvs there are other ways of showing that)

I thought Medsim was better (they still do that right?), a lot more practical stuff and hence a lot more fun. Plus we got to stroll around all weekend in scrubs which is always a bonus.

it really depends on your point of view and where your family stand in the richboy stakes.

if you are in social circles where money spent is no object, then of course its no loss to pay the £250 for absulotely no gain and three days of non-medicine. also, idf you are 18 and dont get out much dont know how to enjoy yourself, and dont know how to have a brill time, then medsim might seem as a brill time....

if you are an average person from a normal background there is no way you would fritter away £250 on this nonsense. again, if an average person was given £250, they would chose to spend it on something worthwhile to have a much much much briller time avoer a greater period of time than 3 days. (i have been to medsim, btw, and know what utter crap it is firsthand).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by failingatm
:emo: Don't pity me :frown: I know its a waste of money but seriously... I like never get anything for christmas! :colone: this is great for me.... 4 days away dossing with my friends. Its like one of those ridiculously expensive residentials for school... means nothing but are fun.

Im looking forward to it, we are celebrating my friends bday there. If I get a refund, I wont get anything for christmas in return :colone:
fund the refund cheque to your account, and then have twenty brill weekends instead of one not so brill one in lectures.
Reply 29
Okay, so I know medlink has been and gone, but:

Medlink offers nothing to your application to medicine, I didn't even put it on my UCAS form and I wouldn't advice others to do so because well as seen from this thread it has certain connotations.

Despite that I'm very glad I went. It's at the beginning of your AS year, and what it did was drill into me the importance of good organisation, getting work experience (and consequently by the Easter of my AS year I'd organised lots of placements) and getting the grades. It was an amazing motivator! And generally a good experience.

It also changed my parent's attitudes really, who prior to that had never taken the "I want to do medicine" thing seriously at all and had no idea what it involved.

So for that reason I'd say if you can afford to go -- go. Admittedly my costs were subsidised so I did not pay anywhere near £200 but I know to lots of people that really isn't that much money (or at least to their parents) and if you're fortunate enough to be in that position then why not? If like me, that is a lot of money to you, then I'd think about it more carefully because it does not, despite what they say, add anything to your application in itself. But if you still decided you wanted to go then fair does, I gained a lot from medlink.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 30
wat did you gain from medlink, apart from a loss of a lot of money?
Reply 31
I don't know why people are so militantly against medlink/medsim. Advise people, if they still choose to go or some people find it useful, who are you to say they are wrong?
Original post by Beska
I don't know why people are so militantly against medlink/medsim. Advise people, if they still choose to go or some people find it useful, who are you to say they are wrong?

well, look at the guy who posted above you. he learnt "the importance of good organisation, getting work experience (and consequently by the Easter of my AS year I'd organised lots of placements) and getting the grades."

So for the low low price of just hundreds of pounds you too could learn that to get into medicine you need to be organised, have work experience and get good grades. To all the people who thought 2 U's, a UCAS form sent 2 days before start of term and a box set of House MD was enough to get into medical training, this would seem to be money well spent. For anyone else, the question really would seem to be why anyone wouldn't be against it unless they'd already been themselves and were trying to justify it.
Reply 33
Original post by Beska

becos its £250 wasted, on info you could get by clicking your mouse.

christ, 13 year olds understand this, it doesnt bode well for the intake we get these days if so many of our applicants cant get it. or maybe they are just so rich that its doesnt matter where the money goes to them (though there are students crying out for some extra cash to get their A lvls, i dont suppose that makes any difference to the richboys).
Reply 34
I learned how to sleep during rubbish lectures. A skill I've since mastered at med school.
Reply 35
Original post by thisismycatch22
well, look at the guy who posted above you. he learnt "the importance of good organisation, getting work experience (and consequently by the Easter of my AS year I'd organised lots of placements) and getting the grades."

So for the low low price of just hundreds of pounds you too could learn that to get into medicine you need to be organised, have work experience and get good grades. To all the people who thought 2 U's, a UCAS form sent 2 days before start of term and a box set of House MD was enough to get into medical training, this would seem to be money well spent. For anyone else, the question really would seem to be why anyone wouldn't be against it unless they'd already been themselves and were trying to justify it.

Girl :wink:
And please actually read my post. I paid £50.

I don't feel the need to apologise for something that I found to be a very positive experience. When I went to medlink, I had not joined this form or even know of its existence, I did not have anywhere near the amount of knowledge I have now. It really showed me how competitive it was, how much work experience I needed. And I actually had a really good time. I also have some significant mitigating circumstances and before medlink was at a complete loss as to how to tackle this -- two people from medlink gave me the advice that I followed and I believe dealing with it this way allowed it to not be an issue.

I wouldn't go as far as to say I would recommend it because the goals of the actual medlink organisation are complete bull, you will not get something to put on your form, you will not see what is like to be a medical student. But for SO MANY PEOPLE at medical school £250 is not a lot of money for them/their parents, and if you are in that fortunate position why not go for a few days, have fun whilst picking up things? Plus if you are doing your DofE gold it counts as your residential, extra win that no one else has mentioned. I know most applicants don't have a problem with their parents attitudes towards their application, but to me, that change in my parents attitude was invaluable, their support was really important to me. Not that they didn't support me before they went but they just didn't, IDK. I don't know really. I don't think they ever thought I was actually serious.

I genuinely don't see why people feel the need to critise the way other people spend their money? Isn't that their business? Yes, it's a good idea to let them know that it's not what it says on the tin but at the end of the day there is no reason to imply insult if they choose to go ahead.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by lekky
Girl :wink:

Oops, sorry!

Original post by lekky
I genuinely don't see why people feel the need to critise the way other people spend their money? Isn't that their business? Yes, it's a good idea to let them know that it's not what it says on the tin but at the end of the day there is no reason to imply insult if they choose to go ahead.

Well, sure, it's your business, but you brought it up on a public forum on the internet. Don't be outraged if people then comment on it. I don't think anyone's insulting you personally, I certainly didn't. We're just saying it seems like a waste of money. It needs to be criticised otherwise there is a risk that people who really can't afford it will treat it as an investment because it sounds incredibly useful, whereas in fact they could probably get the information for free here.
Reply 37
Medlink is useful as it does give you loads of tips on interview technique, more information about the specialities of medicine and a general feel for what medicine is about. I think it is also something which shows your commitment to medicine which is one of the things your application is marked on. However, in saying all of that, I'm not sure how much it helped my application seeing as I didn't use any of the tips or techniques that the speakers at medlink said were 'essential' for you to get into medical school and I have still had offers. Furthermore, don't get carried away by the guy who does it. He is an amazing speaker by a bit OTT!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending